LAFFNVEGAS Live From the Jewel, Well Almost Live on 3/23/14

LAFFNVEGAS

Happy anniversary to you, Lisa! And thank you for this wonderful running commentary - it is a treat to follow along.

We are anxiously awaiting our cruise to the MR on the Star in two weeks. For now we'll have to live vicariously through you.

Feel better and enjoy the rest of your trip!

Jemi :)

Happy Anniversary Lisa and Tom. I'm enjoying your cruise updates. We were on the Jewel 2 years ago. While HAL is my favorite NCL is a close second. Like their night entertainment in the lounges. We always enjoy a good guitarist.

Emily

Hope your cold goes quickly. It's the ships to have a cold on a ship. I had a doozie on the one and only NCL cruise years ago. A wonderful bar tender called Sunny made me comp. rum toddies for 3 nights. Helped me sleep. I am still forever grateful and think of him often.

Greetings from Roatan we are having an amazing relaxing day at Fosters West Bay. The cold is a bit better today's bit of lingering cough. We were last here at Fosters when we were on the Solstice in September 2010te4yvupu.jpg

uza2uqyj.jpg

hera3yry.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thursday March 27, 2014

Good Evening from the Beautiful Norwegian Jewel.

This was an amazing day and not just because I woke up this morning I was sleeping with an old man that just turn 60 ;) :D actually it was a picture perfect way to celebrate his birthday in Roatan Honduras. This was our 4th time to Honduras and I can honestly say it is my absolute favorite port.today we spent the full day at Foster's West Bay. They picked us up from Coxen Hole the transfers and the day pass to use their amazing beach cost $35 now that May have been a bit cheaper because there were 8 of us. They gave us one of their upstairs day rooms to use. ( I will post pictures once we get home) then for an additional $15 you got a Lobster lunch with two large Caribbean tails plus two side and a cocktail of your choice. You could also have something other then lobster. Tom and I and Kathy and Bob had done this in September 2010. It was as good or actually better than last time. The each is absolutely amazing and the water is crystal clear and warm. We could come there over and over.

Tonight of our group 6 of us all went to Moderno to celebrate Tom's birthday, it was as good as always although I think I have it down to what meats I want and don't want. And truthfully I do not mind filling up on the salad bar which is my favorite part. :)

Tonight is also the Dessert Buffet which I think Tom is going to head up to but I will pass. I feel like I have done nothing but eat since we left home.

Tomorrow is our last port of Costa Maya and we are repeating what we did there in Nov 2012 and that is go to Maya Chan. That is another great beach day with great food and lots of drinks. Oh yes I forgot to mention my drink today at Fosters was called a Monkey Lala Coco which was tasty. ;)

Where has this week gone?, tomorrow will be a week since we started this adventure. It has also been so good to be cruising Norwegian. The crew have been amazing, I love the feel of how they treat you when you come back onboard the ship and you can see the the crew are really happy and enjoy what they do. I honestly cannot come up with one negative thing that I can think of. The food in all the venues has been amazingly good. While we have had much of a chance to see any entertainment we know there is a lot to see and do when we are ready to be entertained. I did bring my white clothes for the Hot white party tomorrow night since we can sleep in Saturday morning. I just wish the Jewel was staying in New Orleans or any NCL ship because I really enjoyed sailing from New Orleans. But am thrilled that the Jewel will be coming to the West Coast in late 2015.

Well I think it is time to call it a night.

Signing off from the Beautiful Norwegian Jewel.

I love reading threads where people have nothing but great comments about the ship and crew. Too many people whine about their cruise; but your review is a fresh breath of life. And by reading your review I can tell you enjoy life to the fullest. Thank you very much.

Do the penthouse suites on NCL have binoculars and umbrellas like the HAL suites?

We are long time (4 star) HAL cruisers trying NCL next month. Must admit your reports gave us the added impetus to do so.

Do the penthouse suites on NCL have binoculars and umbrellas like the HAL suites?

We are long time (4 star) HAL cruisers trying NCL next month. Must admit your reports gave us the added impetus to do so.

I'm still wondering about the size of the aft Penthouse. I looked at another site that listed deck plans and said it has 286 sq ft of cabin space. That figure can't be right for a PH.

I think aft ph suite is 386. So maybe u need to add another 100 to your figuresDeck(s) Location Comments Category

8 , 9 , 10 Aft

Rear-facing

This is from NCL website

Edited by AF-1
Added text

I'm still wondering about the size of the aft Penthouse. I looked at another site that listed deck plans and said it has 286 sq ft of cabin space. That figure can't be right for a PH.

Penthouse Suites are the "lowest" category suite on NCL. (On HAL, they are the very highest category.) Hope that helps. I can understand your confusion, because it befuddled me at first too!

Friday March 28, 2014

Good Afternoon from an Unexpected SEA Day on the Norwegian Jewel. We were to have gone to Costa Maya Mexico today but when I woke at 7 this morning and saw and the wind and whitecaps and that we were not near the pier I knew there was noway we were gong to be able to dock. Tom and have been fortunate to have not or missed very ports but I knew it would be a danger to the ship to attempt to dock. We were to have spent the day at Maya Chan, while I am disappointed mostly for those I our group that have never been there before but I totally understand. I guess I should not have wished so had for an extra sea day ;) it was actually the Costa Maya Port Authority that advised the Captain not to dock. Maya Chan has already refunded to my account what we paid for our excursion . The Entertainment Crew here on the Jewel jumped into action and set up all kinds of on board activities, there was even a pool party where they were gaining out free rum punch drinks for having missed the port which is very smart on NCL 's part get everyone one free drinks d they will start to drink more.

It has actually been lazy day for Tom and I, after they announced right about 8 they were it making it to Costa Maya Tom and I headed up to Cagney's for breakfast. I was thrilled when I saw my favorite Poppy Seed Danish I their breakfast buffet area. There are just so many food items that I love on this ship. Afterwards we came back to the cabin to read and relax. We are not like many that are out and about. When we have these aft suites we really enjoy our balcony and cabin. At 12noon we headed up to the Garden Cafe (like the Lido for HAL fans) I expected it to be mobbed and find no tables, instead there was lot of room, no lines and lots of great food. I was actually having a hard time deciding. We have found a new thing we like and that is the Strawberry soft serve ice cream cones.

I had thought about going to the Spa today but though it may be really crowded so decided against and opted for enjoying just hanging out with Tom.

Tonight 6 of our group of 8 are heading to Tsar's for dinner then plan to go to the Le Cirque Bijou then going to attempt to stay awake to go to the Hot White Party where once I go I always have fun :) we will lose an hour of sleep tonight but we will just sleep in.

Time to read or maybe just take a nap.

Penthouse Suites are the "lowest" category suite on NCL. (On HAL, they are the very highest category.) Hope that helps. I can understand your confusion, because it befuddled me at first too!

Thanks for the explanation. Seeing it was an aft cabin and listed as a Penthouse, I was hoping it was comparable to the PH cabins on HAL (1,150-1,400 sq ft). We are in that cabin on a HAL ship in six weeks with my daughter and young granddaughter, and I am thinking of taking them on a line that has more kids my granddaughter's age. It's great they have their own "bedroom" and bathroom, so we won't be in their "space".

You will love the AFT penthouses! make sure you utilize the butler service and Cagney's both of which are great perks! Have sailed in HAL suites, the SA suites, but no butler was a deal breaker for us. The balcony in the AFT suites on NCL are phenomenal!

Thanks for the explanation. Seeing it was an aft cabin and listed as a Penthouse, I was hoping it was comparable to the PH cabins on HAL (1,150-1,400 sq ft). We are in that cabin on a HAL ship in six weeks with my daughter and young granddaughter, and I am thinking of taking them on a line that has more kids my granddaughter's age. It's great they have their own "bedroom" and bathroom, so we won't be in their "space".

Norwegian does have two-bedroom suites but they are not aft facing. Depending on the ship they are either just in the haven, or both in and out of the haven.

Saturday March 29,2014

Good Afternoon from a cloudy final Sea Day on board the Beautiful Norwegian Jewel.

It is drastically cooler today but still a relaxing day on board. We actually slept in till a little after 10 this morning, we lost an hour of sleep from the one we gained early on during the cruise . I believe normally this itinerary leaving from New Orleans does not have to change time but since the U.S. changes to daylight savings time several weeks before Mexico and Central America does the ship must adjust the time for these few weeks.

Well I will tell you a bit of last night 6 of the 8 of us went for dinner at Tsar's last night despite service being extremely slow right after the first course the food was excellent. The Blue crab Cakes I had last night were probably some of the best crab cakes I have ever had. The Tortilla Soup was hot and delicious and the Eggplant Parmesan was excellent. Everyone else loved their meal as well. I know food is extremely subjective but we find the food to be excellent on board Norwegian and while yes the specialty restaurants are great I am really impressed with everything else. This is basically comparing to my last cruise over New Years on HAL Veendam.

After dinner we went to Le Cirque Bijiou show which at the end was the Crew Fairwell which is very much like what HAL use to do when they did their disembarkation talk and sang Love in Any Language. Except this seemed even grander with far more Officers and Crew. Later tonight once we reach the Mississippi around 10:30 I should be able to get my Verizon internet back and will post some of those pictures. It just seems that so many of the things HAL has taken away NCL still does which makes NCL just feel more comfortable. We of course purchased a future cruise certificate and may even buy two.

After the show we went up to Spinnakers for the White Hot Party, this is my fourth one to attend but the first during Spring Break, the big difference with this cruised compared to the past NCL cruises is it is an over all younger demographic so the must was to quite my kind I'd dancing music. In the past the crowd was a bit older. To give you an idea of what I like to dance to I was hoping they would have "Play that Funky Music" which was always what got me out dancing on previous White Hot Parties. But last night the age group dancing. But the age group out dancing were actually younger than my son. So instead we all enjoyed Drink, I think my was called an Angel Martini or something like that. Ok speaking of kids and younger people I personally have felt they were all very well behaved or at least those we saw. I understand there is just over 700 on board under 18 but it truly has not been bad only one occurrence we saw that probably should not have happened two girls that look about 14 or 15 were trying to help a very drunk 14 or 15 girl into a cabin. This poor girl could hardly stand up. Unfortunately this kind of stuff can happen anywhere, but how she got that much booze to get that drunk I have not clue.

Well log into SW Air is done and I truly dread packing because that means our cruise is over :(

Once again Norwegian Cruise line has not disappointed, we might not be the type of cruiser that is constantly doing something but hey it is Free Style and there is so much here if and when we want it.

Tonight for our last night we are heading back to Le Bistro, I am hoping to enjoy a bit better since the last time there was the night my cold was at its peak.

Sounds like a lovely dinner for your last night. I didn't think about Freestyle in those terms until you brought it up, but you're exactly right: NCL takes the initiative of setting up lots of things for passengers to do, and leaves it up to passengers to choose whether or what they want to do. Makes for a very relaxing cruise, unlike some other cruiselines where I frequently felt pressured to Do.Something. Just one more reason to love Freestyle.

Thank you for your report; I've enjoyed reading it. Wishing you safe travels back hom.

Edited by buckirj1