Can someone help with train from Civitavecchia to center of Rome?

tango nana

Ship docks 7:00 in port on Thursday May29. Would like to book a walking tour that starts 10:00 on Via Marghera ( near termini station ) we have never taken the train in Italy before. We would like to take train from the port. Is there enough time to get to train, travel to termini station, and get to this tour?

What time would we have to get off ship and what time should we take the train to make this happen?

Thanks for any help.

You should get off the ship as soon as they'll let you. At Civitavecchia you'll need to take the port shuttle bus to the port entrance/exit which means waiting until they fill the bus. From the port entrance to the train station is a four-tenths of a mile walk to the train station, so about 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

There are three morning trains that will work for you: 7:44, 7:58, and 8:44 (arrives 9:48).

You can see the train schedule at http://www.trenitalia.com

I know where that Via Marghera office is, and it's not far from Termini at all. I do agree you should get the earliest train possible -- if you end up early at Termini you can find somewhere to have an espresso or cappuccino and a cornetto while you wait. Alternatively, there is a very nice little green space just across the street from the head of Termini station. It's technically part of the Museo Na*zionale, but you can walk in it without a ticket and there are some pieces of ancient Roman sculpture and inscriptions.

http://cdn3.vtourist.com/4/6645825-Terme_di_Diocleziano_garden_Rome.jpg?version=2

Also, if you walk in that direction, look for the bit of old crumbling walls -- if you are at the head of the station with the tracks behind you, they will be on your right but not very visible. These are part of the oldest walls in Rome, the Servian walls, dating from 4th c. BC. They only survive today in a few places around Rome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servian_Wall

Check out Tom's port guides. There are wonderful. Just full of information. His guides are easier than me tell how to give to Rome on the train. Tom is a fellow cruiser. We always go by train to Rome. You can walk to the station after the transfer takes you entrance of the port. You must ride the bus in the port area.

Pam

Check out Tom's port guides. There are wonderful. Just full of information. His guides are easier than me tell how to give to Rome on the train. Tom is a fellow cruiser. We always go by train to Rome. You can walk to the station after the transfer takes you entrance of the port. You must ride the bus in the port area.

Pam

I'd be careful about relying on Tom's port guides. In the past I had found his Rome guide lacking. I just looked at it again and found several questionable statements about the trains from Civitavecchia to Rome and back.

He asserts that trains may not stop at stations if they are full (e.g.' date=' either en route to Rome a train may skip Civi or that if the train is full after Termini station that it may not stop at San Pietro).

I cannot recall hearing of this happening, and I have been reading about these trains on various boards for years now.... If it did happen, I'm sure there would be quite a to-do.

Perhaps someone got on one of the faster trains that isn't scheduled to stop at every station (there are a few of these), and just jumped to the conclusion that the train didn't stop because it was full. Or perhaps someone experienced an unusual mechanical issue. However, if a stop is on the schedule, the train has an obligation to stop there. How could a train "not" stop at a [i']scheduled[/i] station -- passengers may want to get off in addition to passengers wanting to get on?? :cool:

I've also had issues with Tom's port guides. If they were positioned as trip reports it would be different, but when you put something up on line and present it as a guide ... well, I think you have some responsibility to keep the information updated and to be clear about the difference between personal assertions/opinions and facts.

As consumers of information we all have to be aware that one person's experience is just that, their experience. It does not mean that everyone else (or anyone else, for that matter) will find the same situation. They may, but they may not. A whole lot of common sense needs to be applied.

I ordered tickets last week on Trenitalia web site. I purchased two one way tickets, first class for 30euro. Trave time is 42 minutes. This was for Rome to Civitavecchia. Check the web site. They will email the tickets right away. The paper has a scan code on it and you give the paper to the conductor to scan. There is no waiting in line or confusion at the train station.

When you look at the web site if it is in Italian, look on the top right hand corner and there is a British Flag. Click on the flag and the print becomes English. Have fun. This was a nonstop train.

Edited by readboat
left something out

I ordered tickets last week on Trenitalia web site. I purchased two one way tickets, first class for 30euro. Trave time is 42 minutes. This was for Rome to Civitavecchia. Check the web site. They will email the tickets right away. The paper has a scan code on it and you give the paper to the conductor to scan. There is no waiting in line or confusion at the train station.

When you look at the web site if it is in Italian, look on the top right hand corner and there is a British Flag. Click on the flag and the print becomes English. Have fun. This was a nonstop train.

Please do not take my post as a criticism, but more in the way of info for others. Most of the trains running between Civitavecchia and Rome are "Regional" trains and these are generally broken down into the most common basic Regional and the less common Regional Veloce. The regular Regionals run quite often, only have 2nd class (5 Euros) and are perfectly fine for the relatively short commute into Roma. The Veloce trains only run about once every 2 hours and also offer some 1st class cars (which are anything but true first class) for a 50% premium (about 7.50 for a ticket). There are also a few intercity trains which cost a lot more and require reservations (we do not normally recommend these trains because they can often run quite late).

So, as a rule we do not recommend purchasing tickets in advance for the regional trains since there are no limits on the number of tickets sold and its easy to get tickets at the train station window, vending machines, or at various news kiosks and shops. The problem with buying a 1st class ticket (in advance) is you are likely to find yourself at the station with 2 or 3 regional trains going by with no 1st class cars (because they are not Veloce). Since it is very difficult for a cruiser to know exactly when they will get to the station, most will normally just hop on the next train.

We also commonly recommend that cruisers buy a BIRG ticket which costs about 12 Euros. For this price you get round trip (2nd class) plus all days use of Rome's Metro and bus lines. It is a terrific deal for those that want to use Rome's public transit system.

Hank

Please do not take my post as a criticism, but more in the way of info for others. Most of the trains running between Civitavecchia and Rome are "Regional" trains and these are generally broken down into the most common basic Regional and the less common Regional Veloce. The regular Regionals run quite often, only have 2nd class (5 Euros) and are perfectly fine for the relatively short commute into Roma. The Veloce trains only run about once every 2 hours and also offer some 1st class cars (which are anything but true first class) for a 50% premium (about 7.50 for a ticket). There are also a few intercity trains which cost a lot more and require reservations (we do not normally recommend these trains because they can often run quite late).

So, as a rule we do not recommend purchasing tickets in advance for the regional trains since there are no limits on the number of tickets sold and its easy to get tickets at the train station window, vending machines, or at various news kiosks and shops. The problem with buying a 1st class ticket (in advance) is you are likely to find yourself at the station with 2 or 3 regional trains going by with no 1st class cars (because they are not Veloce). Since it is very difficult for a cruiser to know exactly when they will get to the station, most will normally just hop on the next train.

We also commonly recommend that cruisers buy a BIRG ticket which costs about 12 Euros. For this price you get round trip (2nd class) plus all days use of Rome's Metro and bus lines. It is a terrific deal for those that want to use Rome's public transit system.

Hank

Thanks for the correction. We have done this before also and had found the train crowded and another time it was not. I like a spot that I can keep an eye on our luggage. We are seniors and I like to plan ahead and know what to expect. We have also found that we had to deal with gypsy's trying to get money on the 2nd class trains but not in 1st class. I don't want to deal with that again. What ever you decide to do I am sure your visit to Rome will be exciting. I know we are looking forward to seeing Rome in just 18 days. Grazie!

Thanks for the correction. We have done this before also and had found the train crowded and another time it was not. I like a spot that I can keep an eye on our luggage. We are seniors and I like to plan ahead and know what to expect. We have also found that we had to deal with gypsy's trying to get money on the 2nd class trains but not in 1st class. I don't want to deal with that again. What ever you decide to do I am sure your visit to Rome will be exciting. I know we are looking forward to seeing Rome in just 18 days. Grazie!

We have also taken the train (from Civitavecchia to Rome) when we had to stand because there were no seats. One needs to keep in mind that this train line is essentially a commuter train line that feeds workers into the Rome area. If you are taking a train around 8am on Tues-Fri it will often be packed with commuters. Sun and Mon mornings will find these trains much less crowded and Sat seems to fall somewhere in the middle of the extremes.

But if one decides to get off at one of the first Rome stops (like S. Pietro) the ride is less then an hour. Going to the end of the line (Termini) will add about 20 more minutes onto the journey.

Personally, we think of this train as something akin to riding the subway where one just has to deal with the situation.

Hank