Gluten free choices in Bistro?

jgreenwo17

DW and I are recently gluten free eaters and feel confident that X has quite a few GF choices. Does anybody know if Bistro on 5 have any GF choices? (Other than salads). In general, does X bake any GF bread, rolls, pizza, etc?

Thanks,

Jack and Jill

Edited by jgreenwo17

Yes. They do make gluten free crepes, but they probably won't have them on the first day. Last year we went there on the first day for lunch. They told us that they would have gluten free crepes, but they weren't readily available yet. We ended up going for dinner on the first formal night and they had them.......and they were YUMMY!!! Planning on doing that again this year!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awsome! I knew that people on these threads would know about this. After 57 years of eating bread, it is nice to know that a person can still have his GF cake and eat it too.

Thanks everyone.

John and Jill

P.s. Since going GF my type II diabetes is much easier to control. I urge others who struggle to try. You might be amazed. jg

Edited by jgreenwo17

I always worry about a place like Bistro, however. If a person has diagnosed Celiac's, then cooking a gf crepe on the same pan as a regular crepe would certainly be dangerous. They would need a dedicated gf cooking surface. Does anyone know how Celebrity handles the cross contamination issue? My 34-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac's and learning about the changes has been really eye-opening for me. I just had no idea that even a few grains of wheat or other gluten can cause quite serious problems.

Was on the summit in Feb. Had gf pizza they do prepared in diff area and use diff pans for baking it takes a little longer....let them know and will defenitly prepared without cross contamination

I always worry about a place like Bistro, however. If a person has diagnosed Celiac's, then cooking a gf crepe on the same pan as a regular crepe would certainly be dangerous. They would need a dedicated gf cooking surface. Does anyone know how Celebrity handles the cross contamination issue? My 34-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac's and learning about the changes has been really eye-opening for me. I just had no idea that even a few grains of wheat or other gluten can cause quite serious problems.

If one is ordering gf food they are very careful about cross contamination. I never had a problem in the MDR, buffet or Bistro on 5

I was diagnosed with celiac 10-yrs ago. It's soooo much easier traveling now. You'll find GF super easy on Celebrity. There's usually a crepe machine set aside for GF. If not, your meal will take longer while they prepare one. Ditto waffle machine in the buffet. The GF pizzas on Celebrity are inedible in my book. . .a sort of corn pone/shortbread thing. Yuck. There are yummy GF cookies, though. You have to ask for them at the buffet and Cafe al Bacio since they keep them separately in the back to avoid cross-contamination. They're really good, too. ;) There are corn tortilla chips available on request, too. Every time I cruise, I find more and more options. Much easier than land vacations.

Edit: The chocolate chip cookies are big enough to take to the ice cream bar, get a scoop of vanilla, and make an ice cream sandwich. Mmmmm.....

Edited by goofysmom99

If you're doing gluten-free as a general eating preference you'll do very well on Celebrity. There's good general knowledge, the MDR menus indicate gluten-free items.

However, if you're doing it because you have to (celiac, allergy, or highly sensitive intolerance) you'll want to be a lot more careful, and always go through the "specially prepared" process.

The MDR menus flag gluten-free, no sugar added, vegetarian, and lactose free, but again, if you need zero tolerance make sure it's special ordered, and be very suspicious.

For context, we special order; just finished up a 15 night trip, and was served items with offending ingredients twice (I caught these both times). I'd consider this a very good success rate.

We left Eclipse yesterday and I was catered for really well.

At breakfast they have a dedicated server with a toaster and offered white/brown bread, bagels, some rolls and crepes.

Bistro on Five served us GF crepes (the banana/chocolate nutella and pistachio were fabulous) they just need five mins advance notice to prepare the GF mix.

The server in there Wayan from Indonesia was our favourite on the whole ship, I could have smuggled him home!

I ate GF the whole cruise and was touched to enjoy a chocolate and cherry Birthday cake, the outsides were coated in swirls of mixed coloured chocolate and every meal was marked on the menu by the wheat symbol except for the puddings.

I talked at length with their Head Chef and he said all the Asian food was GF, and on the odd occasion there wasn't much choice in the café at lunchtime for dessert you only had to ask and they appeared with a choice of GF puds.

I coped really well, only got glutened when I was prepared to take a risk off the ship, on board I think you will be fine.

It's so nice to hear and I appreciate the quick answers. While I personally don't have a gluten issue, I'm concerned about it as my oldest daughter is newly diagnosed and she and her husband are thinking about a cruise. Celiac wasn't even on my radar screen until 7 or 8 weeks ago and now I think about it and am learning about it because of my daughter.

If you take a behind the scenes tour, they might show you the extra kitchen they use to make the food for special diets.

We were told they could prepare just about anything our Dd can eat. She is fine with gluten, but cannot eat soy (including veg oil that is soy based), rice, nuts (both peanuts and tree nuts), or melon (which includes eggplant). I've been assured by the manager at Bo5 that they can feed her but it will take a few minutes, and the restaurant manager that she will be well cared for.

As in no soya sauce (or only high-priced g/f soya sauce) used? Why do I find myself somewhat skeptical...

No, the soy sauce isn't GF; they use Kikkoman. I tote along my own bottle of GF soy sauce. No problem with them using it to make stir fry for me. I've been doing this for about the past 6 cruises. Never a problem on X. On RCI, however, my suitcase ended up in the naughty room. I assume they thought it was booze. :confused:

I have had to eat gluten free for 6 years now and have never had a problem on cruises, especially Celebrity since they list the gluten free items on their menu. I just make sure that I tell the servers and all is good!! Looking forward to our cruise next month and can't wait to eat at Bistro on 5!!!