Disney Food. Dear Mickey...

e2011

OK Mickey, its time to get some new food suppliers! Your food is good but it can be great! We just got off the NCL Getaway and you need to send your food buyers over to that ship to find out who they are using. Seriously. It was the best cruise ship food I have had ever! Both included food and specialty. Their Filets at Cagney's are equal to Peter Luger in NYC. And those deserts from Carlos Bakery! OMG!!!

I hope you have time to do this before we sail the Magic next month! Thanks Mickey..

Edited by e2011

OK Mickey, its time to get some new food suppliers! We just got off the NCL Getaway and you need to send your food buyers over to that ship to find out who they are using. Seriously. It was the best cruise ship food I have had ever! Both included food and specialty. Their Filets at Cagney's are equal to Peter Luger in NYC. And those deserts from Carlos Bakery! OMG!!!

I hope you have time to do this before we sail the Magic next month! Thanks Mickey..

I have always found the food on DCL fantastic, always a good meal.

RCI I found hit and miss and they cant do Desserts.

I have never had a bad meal at DCL.

OK Mickey, its time to get some new food suppliers! Your food is good but it can be great! We just got off the NCL Getaway and you need to send your food buyers over to that ship to find out who they are using. Seriously. It was the best cruise ship food I have had ever! Both included food and specialty. Their Filets at Cagney's are equal to Peter Luger in NYC. And those deserts from Carlos Bakery! OMG!!!

YAY!!!! Thanks for this! My husband and I are going on the Getaway next February and we can't wait!!

We've always enjoyed the food on our NCL cruises....far more than DCL...but now I'm really excited, and hubby will be glad to hear this.

My bigger problem with DCL's food is that they try to make it too fancy....too many sauces and such. But everyone's different.

I have always found the food on DCL fantastic, always a good meal.

RCI I found hit and miss and they cant do Desserts.

I have never had a bad meal at DCL.

I've not eaten at Remy, so I can't speak for that. Palo is EXCELLENT...but upsell.

Disney's main dining rooms have some things that are really good....but unless you like a lot of different meats like lamb, etc...it's just not for my "average" (home cooking?) taste buds.

And their desserts? Pretty....but tasteless. Most of them, anyway. There IS that Palo souffle, but again, upsell.

I've not eaten at Remy, so I can't speak for that. Palo is EXCELLENT...but upsell.

Palo Fantastic.

Remy Awesome.

Disney's main dining rooms have some things that are really good....but unless you like a lot of different meats like lamb, etc...it's just not for my "average" (home cooking?) taste buds.

I find it great, if you like fish and seafood then Alaska cruises has a lot and little meat.

And their desserts? Pretty....but tasteless. Most of them, anyway. There IS that Palo souffle, but again, upsell.

I found DCL desserts very good, RCI cant put a single good cake together.

RCI is all about upsell upsell upsell, your a wallet to them and they want it, their coffee is beyond horrible.

We are not fans if DCL food either. I agree about the too fancy stuff - it didn't work. By the 3rd-4th night I was really missing the option of a dinner buffet!! And desserts - yuck. That's the only thing I really look forward to (meal-wise). I used to get the trio just to increase my odds of getting something good. Sometimes I would get 1 of 3 and hit the jackpot with 2 of 3 that were good. I finally resorted to having Mickey bars!

P.S.If the Getaway is like the Breakaway, you will love it!!

YAY!!!! Thanks for this! My husband and I are going on the Getaway next February and we can't wait!!

We've always enjoyed the food on our NCL cruises....far more than DCL...but now I'm really excited, and hubby will be glad to hear this.

My bigger problem with DCL's food is that they try to make it too fancy....too many sauces and such. But everyone's different.

The Getaway was a complete winner in every category. You can read my review over on the NCL thread. Enjoy!!!

I agree that Palo is excellent and Remy is amazing. However, the main dining room food used to be better. I still haven't gotten over missing my favorite Maple Glazed Salmon that was taken off the menu.

The only other line we've cruised recently is Celebrity--their food was significantly better than DCL's.

I'm not saying DCL is bad; I'm saying that it used to be better and another line is currently better.

I found DCL desserts very good, RCI cant put a single good cake together.

RCI is all about upsell upsell upsell, your a wallet to them and they want it, their coffee is beyond horrible.

None of us were talking about Royal Caribbean. I've yet to cruise with them. We were talking about Norwegian's brand new Getaway.

The Getaway was a complete winner in every category. You can read my review over on the NCL thread. Enjoy!!!

The friends that we're cruising with are now NCL converts. We always sailed Disney with them, finally did the NCL Pearl to Alaska together, and they've been sold on the Haven ever since. They have an aft penthouse with Haven access...we have a mid-ship H/C room, and plan on getting spa passes for pool/hot tub privacy...which is what I did on the Dawn in January and it was marvelous, and less $$ than a Haven suite. Although I admit I'll miss Cagney's and the other Haven amenities...but our daughter is getting married next April, so I'm lucky to be cruising in February as it is! :p

The friends that we're cruising with are now NCL converts. We always sailed Disney with them, finally did the NCL Pearl to Alaska together, and they've been sold on the Haven ever since. They have an aft penthouse with Haven access...we have a mid-ship H/C room, and plan on getting spa passes for pool/hot tub privacy...which is what I did on the Dawn in January and it was marvelous, and less $$ than a Haven suite. Although I admit I'll miss Cagney's and the other Haven amenities...but our daughter is getting married next April, so I'm lucky to be cruising in February as it is! :p

Congrats to your daughter! Enjoy.

None of us were talking about Royal Caribbean. I've yet to cruise with them. We were talking about Norwegian's brand new Getaway.

I was using them as a comparison that DCL food isn't as bad as reported.

I didn't know RCI was banned from this conversation.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I agree. On our last DCL cruise the food on the Magic was awful. Not only was the quality lacking but every meal we had in the dining room was cold and the veggies were severely undercooked. The one meal we looked at the tables around us and no one touched the sweet potatoes . They were beyond hard!

I will say the room service menu was good though for some late night grub ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am odd, I guess , because I love the food on DCL actually I like it better than NCL. I sailed on the Norwegian Jewel and felt that the food was good but I didn't have as many choices in the MDR like I did on the Disney Wonder.

I had tons of super delicious desserts on DCL and we only got a few choices with NCL :/ .

We did try some of the specialty restaurants on NCL and the food was good but I still think the DCL MDR food was better.

I could be wrong because I did the NCL cruise before the DCL one but I just don't think any of the NCL food is memorable whereas I even had a few favorites on DCL .

Food is completely subjective, two people at the same table can have different opinions of the same dish.

That said, I find Disney's food to be average, but that's ok, it just means they spend their money in other places. I also find their menus sometimes attempting to be too 'innovative'. But that's my preference.

Also, the Exec chef on a given cruise can make a huge difference. Over on Princess, we sailed on the Island and Coral within a fairly close time frame. The ships are exactly the same, same menus, same supplier, but the food on the Island was 20 times better. And when we met the EC on the Island as compared to the one on the Coral we knew why. One ran his kitchen like a military operation, the other had a much more casual engaging approach and was tasting every dish, etc..

I am odd, I guess , because I love the food on DCL actually I like it better than NCL. I sailed on the Norwegian Jewel and felt that the food was good but I didn't have as many choices in the MDR like I did on the Disney Wonder.

I had tons of super delicious desserts on DCL and we only got a few choices with NCL :/ .

We did try some of the specialty restaurants on NCL and the food was good but I still think the DCL MDR food was better.

I could be wrong because I did the NCL cruise before the DCL one but I just don't think any of the NCL food is memorable whereas I even had a few favorites on DCL .

Your not odd the food on DCL is very good.

On DCL the food at the Topsiders sit down dinner was much better than in the MDR on our 2012 experience. I had the same dish both places. The difference is that Topsiders was a "prepare it when you order" situation whereas the MDR is mass produced and plated.

We love DCL food and never had any issues at all with it. The only other line I have sailed is Royal caribbean and all 3 cruises were worse food than disney. The only thing I would like better on DCL is more vegetarian options and more actual vegetable sides, but I have never experienced a quality problem with any meal.

On DCL the food at the Topsiders sit down dinner was much better than in the MDR on our 2012 experience. I had the same dish both places. The difference is that Topsiders was a "prepare it when you order" situation whereas the MDR is mass produced and plated.

Topsiders is no more it's Cabanas on the Magic.

We love DCL food and never had any issues at all with it. The only other line I have sailed is Royal caribbean and all 3 cruises were worse food than disney. The only thing I would like better on DCL is more vegetarian options and more actual vegetable sides, but I have never experienced a quality problem with any meal.

I agree that was my reference point if you eat the school dinners on RCI anything it's better.

DCL has good food, a Veggies getting better.

Topsiders is no more it's Cabanas on the Magic.

Thank you very much for that well known fact. In my post, I specifically referenced my 2012 cruise when WE dined in TOPSIDERS. Again, one can only address one's own experiences; anything else is heresay or rumor.

Palo is still, and I imagine always will be, one of my favorite meals of all time.

Food was okay on our last NCL cruise. Have Getaway booked for August and based upon the reviews I can't wait (that and I really need a vacation).

I think you will really enjoy the Getaway.

It is very true that food taste differs from person to person but I would guess statistically 90%+ of all people do not care for a hot item that is served cold because it has been sitting on a mass production line waiting to be served. But this is just my guess, I can only speak for myself and my family and we find the rotational dining and lack of optional dinner options on Disney to be a negative. But no ships are perfect.

I think you will really enjoy the Getaway.

It is very true that food taste differs from person to person but I would guess statistically 90%+ of all people do not care for a hot item that is served cold because it has been sitting on a mass production line waiting to be served. But this is just my guess, I can only speak for myself and my family and we find the rotational dining and lack of optional dinner options on Disney to be a negative. But no ships are perfect.

Hot food served below temperature is not only turn off, it can be a health hazard.

I hope the servers were told to return the dishes and bring fresh ones and you spoke to the head server.

DCL need to be made aware of they're faults so that the challenges can be addressed, as well as being complemented.

ex techie