Laura, What's wrong with Cruise Critic?? Problems!

gkm

I seem to be back in business speed-wise, but am having a problem on a roll call thread. It appears that someone posted a response yesterday afternoon, but when you click on the thread, the last post does not appear :confused: :confused: .

I tried for 30 minutes to get into the various sites with no luck. This was around 12:00 Noon PDT. Just tried again at 3:15 p.m. PDT and was able to get in. Gets very frustrating at times. Hope the webmaster at this site can get it fixed. Too many people depend on this site, particularly the Roll Call site to make it this difficult to use. :mad:

[quote name='mmp13']Terry your right Horrible this afternoon. Seems like they have had several days to address the issue but situation seems to be getting much worse![/QUOTE]
Note to the web guys -
Tonight has been blank screen for almost 40 min in virtually all sub forums.
Tried with Foxfire and IE - Foxfire even got a connection refused a few times
which says to me - either the bandwith is saturated or not enough threads to handle all of the database queries.

if you do a right click to look at the properties of the blank screen - there is no data returned at all

[quote name='hermang']Note to the web guys -
Tonight has been blank screen for almost 40 min in virtually all sub forums.
Tried with Foxfire and IE - Foxfire even got a connection refused a few times
which says to me - either the bandwith is saturated or not enough threads to handle all of the database queries.

if you do a right click to look at the properties of the blank screen - there is no data returned at all[/QUOTE]Look at the source rather than the properties. The system is actually returning a "blank" screen:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

I think these recurring problems are a lack of bandwidth - i.e. too many people logging on for the host server to cope with.

So Cruise Critic is a victim of its own success. But the people behind it should take note and invest in greater server capacity before people get fed up and cruise off elsewhere.

I am so frustrated with these boards, I am not on nearly as much. Just like any other addiction the longer you are away from it the less you crave it.
I find it very annoying that nobody is answering any of our concerns or giving us updates on what is happening which makes me think "Nothing:. It is a shame.

[quote name='Begete']Hi Donna -

We also have Comcast and I am so frustrated with them (and I am a stockholder) and correspond with them regularly about the lack of service from time to time. In fact, I just had a service call for the reasons you describe. When they are good they are very, very good, BUT.....

I also wonder whether the problem is Comcast or Cruisecritic. I participate in another very large message board area operated by Netrition.com which is via the same server used here. If Comcast was operating, I could access those message boards even though I could not access these.

Hope your little one is soon recovered (human or your four legged friend ? ;)[/QUOTE]

I think this problem is CruiseCritic not Comcast. I access this website from a variety of ISPs and hotspots. I access it from Comcast (at home), T-Mobile Hotspot (Starbuck's), a big T3 line at work, and many hotels around the US.

I also have been spending alot time away from this website to my other favorite website, FlyerTalk.

The word from Central Command is that there were server problems again and that the efforts cobtinue to resolve the nagging problems.

Thanks for your patience.

[quote name='Host Walt']The word from Central Command is that there were server problems again and that the efforts cobtinue to resolve the nagging problems.

Thanks for your patience.[/QUOTE]Whatever they've done, the difference between yesterday and today is like night and day. Still not quite 100%, but vastly improved.

[quote name='canderson']Look at the source rather than the properties. The system is actually returning a "blank" screen:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>[/QUOTE]

All of the "blank pages" indicated zero bytes and did not indicate the type of
object. Leading me to believe it did not or could not retrieve the object.

On a valid page it said type=php and size of the object was clearly large

[quote name='Bollinge']I think these recurring problems are a lack of bandwidth - i.e. too many people logging on for the host server to cope with.

So Cruise Critic is a victim of its own success. But the people behind it should take note and invest in greater server capacity before people get fed up and cruise off elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Buy a bigger back up server I said - Naaah not a problem they said
Split the mail servers up and add more - Naah not a problem they said.
We have single point of failure in some cases - Naah - you are over reacting

I got "downsized" partly because I was a thorn in middle management's rear end because I went public with what they wanted hidden - shortly after I left - the excrement came in contact with the impeller and the had a melt down - funny how they found the bucks to upgrade then - Hmnnnn

[quote name='hermang']All of the "blank pages" indicated zero bytes and did not indicate the type of object. Leading me to believe it did not or could not retrieve the object.[/QUOTE]
The zero bytes is an indication of the <BODY></BODY> sequence. You're right that the PHP server was unable to construct a valid page to send. It's just that this recent spate of "white pages" is a bit different from what we were experiencing before. It's almost as though tech support got tired of the auto email that was supposedly being generated by the prior "time-out" page, and deleted all of the content from that page... and what's left is what we're seeing now.

[quote name='canderson']The zero bytes is an indication of the <BODY></BODY> sequence. You're right that the PHP server was unable to construct a valid page to send. It's just that this recent spate of "white pages" is a bit different from what we were experiencing before. It's almost as though tech support got tired of the auto email that was supposedly being generated by the prior "time-out" page, and deleted all of the content from that page... and what's left is what we're seeing now.[/QUOTE]

I will have to take your word for that as I don't do web stuff
but last night all I got was the blank screen. In the past I got the following:

1. Blank Screen as described.
2. The ubiquitous Database error
3. Cant find the server error ( IE).

What I thought was interesting was last night Foxfire returned a Connection rejected message.

I unfortunately never got into being a web designer as being a Server guy was
at one time safe enough for continued employment - today they want everything including Java,Unix, IIS, and a few thousand other skills - oh yeah - they don't want to pay squat either <g>

Archived