Laura, What's wrong with Cruise Critic?? Problems!

gkm

Here I was thinking my problems were because I have dialup. I'm sure it doesn't help. Every time I click on something it times out so I can never get to the page. It looks like there are less then usual posts today so it must be going all around.

I hope the problem will be fixed soon, I really enjoy this message board.

I also had problems getting on most of today. However I also had problems getting on another board so I wondered if it could have had something to do with the Hurricane affecting some servers or something.

On the other hand I have had sporadic problems getting on CC for days now with it freezing up when I try to go to a thread so it is probably not storm related.

I finally quit trying last night because it was so frustrating. I'm new to forums, but tried a few others last night just to get my fix. They aren't nearly as good as CC, but at least they worked. I got up in the middle of the night and it seems to work fine now. I guess it is too many people trying to use it at once.

Also having the same problems. Yesterday in early a.m. got on but by 10:00 a.m. PST could not and the rest of the day also could not get on. I just wish the hosts or Laura would just keep us posted as to wht is going on.

Thanks for any information.

marilyn

I have had problems everyday, sometimes I cannot get in at all. Then I am forced to go over to the "other board". Sometimes I cannot tolerate the problems. Why can;t anyone do anything about this problem. this is a very popular site with alot of activity apparantly their hardware cannot accomdate this type of activity. I have sent at least 4 emails with absolutely no response.

Guest Host Tink

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We share your frustration with the recent message board performance issues. We are keenly aware of the situation and are doing our best to work through them. As you may be aware, our message board usage has grown exponentially over the past few years. Unfortunately the recent problems started while upgrading our servers in an attempt to address growth issues so that we would not have performance issues. We are working with our hosting company and outside consultants to find and fix the problem as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime and apologize for any inconvenience.

Cruise Critic Staff

I have had problems everyday, sometimes I cannot get in at all. Then I am forced to go over to the "other board". Sometimes I cannot tolerate the problems. Why can;t anyone do anything about this problem. this is a very popular site with alot of activity apparantly their hardware cannot accomdate this type of activity. I have sent at least 4 emails with absolutely no response.

Likewise, it took me all afternoon to get one post up and running yesterday!

Constant freezes while attempting to post, (particularly when I'd click on "preview post" and "submit reply"), so that I'd have to ctrl/alt/del in order to "end task" my AOL program (which was totally frozen each time I'd click on either option), and reboot the computer. Or, I'd get a message that I'd chosen too many graphics (only had 2 smilies in my post), which the softwear wasn't capable of showing. I gave up, after awhile because it was starting to cost me money to keep logging back onto AOL constantly, (I have a cable modem)...

I too sent 3 E-mails to the webmaster, all with no response...not very polite!

Unbelievably exhasperating!!! :mad:

Barb

Barb, I'm with you. I've had the exact same problem where everything freezes and I end up Ctrl/alt/Delete and complete shutdown. The problems are so far beyond those we've had in the past.

I don't mean to be impatient, and I do appreciate Host Tink's post, but with all due respect I've been getting that same message from Host Walt, from Laura S and others for weeks. When this started, they actually seemed surprised that it was so widespread and I bought that, but I have to say I'm beginning to wonder.

If this continues, CC is going to lose us in huge numbers. It's just not worth it. I admit I just love this site, but I can adjust to something else.

Hi Heather - what is the 5000+ club??? Also I've noted that some on this board are called "Blue Ribbon Cruisers"...have you any idea what that designation means?

Where in Florida are you located? My Dad's got a condo at Admiral's Cove in Jupiter which he loves.

Yes, our problems are similar, and I suspect many others are experiencing the same frustrations. CC is obviously having "big-time" problems with whatever conversion they're attempting to make!

We can only hope that it won't continue too much longer so the exhasperation level has an opportunity to dissipate. ;)

All the best,

Barb

I want to thank Host Tink for finally giving us an update. I am VERY disappointed that no Host or Laura have even come on here to explain things since August 9th until Host Tink logged on. I really think we deserve to be kept in the loop!

Most of us have been loyal to these boards for a long while and it would be nice to feel that they appreciate us rather than thinking 'if they go to other boards we'll just get new posters'! Loyalty is a two way street. And we are the ones who support the advertisers and tell them, 'I saw this on Cruise Critic!'.

Any others have thoughts on this from long term, frequent posters?

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

We share your frustration with the recent message board performance issues. We are keenly aware of the situation and are doing our best to work through them. As you may be aware, our message board usage has grown exponentially over the past few years. Unfortunately the recent problems started while upgrading our servers in an attempt to address growth issues so that we would not have performance issues. We are working with our hosting company and outside consultants to find and fix the problem as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime and apologize for any inconvenience.

Cruise Critic Staff

We have all grown so use to this site. I'm sure you folks will get it fixed. A pain for us yes and you as well, but wife calls me a pain and she keeps me around so I'll behave and wait. Won't say take your time but will say please hurry. A happy Cruise Critic Member

This system has been less than satisfactory for the past few years. Management and clients are well aware of this problem. I would suggest that the software folks clean up and purge the ancient history items that are cluttering up this site and get realistic response time back to this informative data base.

We might be able to help the situation a little.

If you remove the checkmark from the "show signature box",

it may reduce the loading time for pages.

They did a test along these lines removing sigs from the posts

and the loading time really dropped.

Reggie

Archived