$1700 Medical Bill for 20 mins treatment on P&O Cruise

I think it is likely that a passenger officially leaves Australian when they pass through Australian Immigration and remain 'out of the country' until they pass through Immigration at the end of the cruise.

As a former Customs Officer that is true. Once you have been processed through immigration you have officially exited the country. It doesn't matter if you are still on Aus soil or in Aus waters. The same applies when you arrive back into the country.

Edited by razzledee

Makes you realise just how darned lucky we have it in Australia. And people are complaining about a proposal to charge $5 to visit a doctor...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

True we are lucky to an extent. But pay extra to see a doctor when I pay the medicare surcharge AND also in a private health fund too? Which btw doesn't cover doctors such as neurologists that my son needs to see. $340 per visit and less than half back from Medicare and 0 from my health fund.

But that gripe is not to do with the topic at hand.

Back in the early 90's when I went on my second cruise I thought I had appendicitis mid Pacific ocean. I had all the symptoms! But fortunately not, otherwise it would have been a lousy honeymoon :eek: I don't recall if we have travel insurance but I didn't get charged a thing.

As a former Customs Officer that is true. Once you have been processed through immigration you have officially exited the country. It doesn't matter if you are still on Aus soil or in Aus waters. The same applies when you arrive back into the country.

Does this mean that I, as an Australian Citizen, having been through immigration for an Australian Coastal Cruise, become "internationalised" once I set foot on an international cruise ship.

Am I still regarded as being out of the country (medically) if I am 'run over by a bus' on Australian soil because I have not been reprocessed back into the country through immigration.

By the way I always use travel insurance.

On our last cruise Adelaide to Sydney, we were not asked to fill in immigration forms at either end and I would guess this means we were not processed by Customs. But I think all the ship's paperwork would have been passed onto Customs sometime previous to departure. We only checked in at the desk and waved through at Sydney - blue cards as per previous post. We will wait and see if Princess does this also as on SYD-BRIS 5 day repositioning cruise in May. Also DH receives small (very small!) part pension payment from Centrelink. Previously we had been told to notify each time we left or returned to the country on a cruise, even coastal. Painful - waiting up to an hour on phone each time. This time were assured by centrelink agent that there was no need to notify for a coastal in Australia. Does appear to be varying opinions and processes in the systems. But we never travel without travel insurance, even as DH has some medical pre-existing problems, it is worth the extra for peace of mind.

Edited by megsie

On our last cruise Adelaide to Sydney, we were not asked to fill in immigration forms at either end and I would guess this means we were not processed by Customs. But I think all the ship's paperwork would have been passed onto Customs sometime previous to departure. We only checked in at the desk and waved through at Sydney - blue cards as per previous post. We will wait and see if Princess does this also as on SYD-BRIS 5 day repositioning cruise in May. Also DH receives small (very small!) part pension payment from Centrelink. Previously we had been told to notify each time we left or returned to the country on a cruise, even coastal. Painful - waiting up to an hour on phone each time. This time were assured by centrelink agent that there was no need to notify for a coastal in Australia. Does appear to be varying opinions and processes in the systems. But we never travel without travel insurance, even as DH has some medical pre-existing problems, it is worth the extra for peace of mind.

with regards to Centrelink we have been told if you are leaving the country you should tell them but you dont need to tell them that you have returned home, once customs swipes your passport big brother knows you have left the country

We were told that the first time centrelink were notified but several times since, maybe 4 times, some coastal cruises, others with overseas ports. we were told to ring on return, just in case the 'system' doesn't pick up our return. That was until last time when given coastal cruise advice which differed again.

Edited by megsie

So if you have not been processed or do not need to be processed in any way by immigration on an Australia to Australia port only cruise that does not enter international waters you have not left Australia is this correct.

Expenses for medical are not covered by travel insurance for Australians within Australia!

my travel insurance has no exception to the above just for cruises :confused: