Cash Deposit for Onboard Spending Account

bguppies

We no longer have credit cards and wanted to pay with cash this cruise.

NCL's site states you need $100 per person, per day in cash.

We rarely spend $50-$100 on a 7 day cruise, let alone $1400.

We planned on putting in our $188 for the DSC and maybe an extra $112 for everything else.

Will they deny us boarding if we do that?

Thanks for any firsthand experience.

Bill

Absolutely not a problem. We have done cash deposits plenty of times and my oldest daughter continues to do it with every cruise. All they really care about is that you have your DSC fees paid for the week pp. After that, if you don't have any money on your account, they will simply deny your charge while on board. It's very simple. :)

Just for a refernce for others looking for this info, NCL's website has stated for some months now that the recommended amount for 7 night cruise is $300pp: http://www.ncl.com/faq#onboard-expenses

As said by others, covering DSC and then some is usually sufficient even if the sum isn't $300pp.

Thanks everyone...

I figured that was the case, but I didn't want to show up at the pier and be denied boarding because I didn't have enough cash. (never assume....you know the rest)

I googled this before coming to ask in here and the official NCL link they had took me to the $100 a day amount.

http://www.ncl.com/bge/first-time-cruiser

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account. To start, US$100 per person per day is required, although more can be deposited depending on what you plan to spend. If you don't have enough money down to cover expenses, your account(s) will be closed and you cannot purchase anything until more money is deposited. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

Appreciate the official link with the lower amount.

Maybe NCL needs to do some house cleaning and have all their webpages with the same info...:D

Edited by bguppies

I googled this before coming to ask in here and the official NCL link they had took me to the $100 a day amount.

http://www.ncl.com/bge/first-time-cruiser

Maybe NCL needs to do some house cleaning and have all their webpages with the same info...:D

I also thought the minimum was $100/pp/pd which is what I was told on our cruise on the sky last year. When I booked this year I specifically asked 3 separate people after the first told me the minimum was $300. I'm glad I don't have to shell out so much up front for the 7 day cruise, since between the 2 of us last year we didn't spend $400, and that was with 2 shore excursions included!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yep, that is unfortunate that there are several recently (within a year) changed things that are updated to FAQ but not on many other places on their website and/or emails and other documents. :)

Does anyone know how much of a hold do they place on credit cards?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was also wanting to know - so I called and asked. The holds are the same amounts as the required minimum cash deposits. So for a 7 day cruise, $300. More then 7 days, $450.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never had a hold placed on a credit card. They will place a hold on a debit card though.

They will preauthorize charges to credit cards during the cruise too, it just doesn't necessarily show like holds on debit cards do.

I know this for a fact since our friends had their onboard account closed mid-cruise because there was a bank originated problem with their credit card and the new authorization failed. NCL gave them opportunity to call the bank for free and the matter was resolved quickly - but as said, it happened because of the authorizations they make during the cruise as the onboard account is used more than the original authorization amount ($300).

What is DSC? Is that the Service Charge? I'm bringing cash for my cruise. It would be too "tempting" to overspend on my charge or debit. I plan on bringing enough for $100 per day for my hubby and me, plus a little extra. It is our first cruise and our 30th anniversary so I want to make sure we have an awesome time. Another question is if we have "extra" in our account do they give you it back the day your disembark in cash or mail you a check?

What is DSC? Is that the Service Charge? I'm bringing cash for my cruise. It would be too "tempting" to overspend on my charge or debit. I plan on bringing enough for $100 per day for my hubby and me, plus a little extra. It is our first cruise and our 30th anniversary so I want to make sure we have an awesome time. Another question is if we have "extra" in our account do they give you it back the day your disembark in cash or mail you a check?

DSC=daily service charge. :)

Another question is if we have "extra" in our account do they give you it back the day your disembark in cash or mail you a check?

The default is to mail you a check and it takes several weeks. If you go to Guest Services and queue on the final (disembarkation) morning, you probably could get the remaining balance in cash too - at least according to what I've read here.

Edited by Demonyte

I have never had a hold placed on a credit card. They will place a hold on a debit card though.

Have you checked your pending credit card charges during the cruise?

The hold will not show up as a charge on a statement so will only show up as pending if checked online. We have always had a pending charge on our credit card until the end of the cruise when the final amount is charged.

We no longer have credit cards and wanted to pay with cash this cruise.

NCL's site states you need $100 per person, per day in cash.

We rarely spend $50-$100 on a 7 day cruise, let alone $1400.

We planned on putting in our $188 for the DSC and maybe an extra $112 for everything else.

Will they deny us boarding if we do that?

Thanks for any firsthand experience.

Bill

We were on Breakaway in November, and I had prepaid my gratuities (you don't have to) so upon checkin, they told me I would have to go to guest services to put down the cash. It didn't take long, and I did not put anywhere near what they "recommend" for four people. As long as you cover the DSC for everyone for the duration of the cruise up front, the rest is up to you. As a matter of fact, we didn't even spend all the money I put on our account (even with a couple of trips to the shops and purchasing some of the photos) so I even managed to get a check in the mail shortly after we returned home.

Rest assured, you will be fine!