Aft cabins on Ocean Princess

cruising kirby

Does anyone have experience with the aft cabins on the Ocean Princess? From the photos of the ship it looks like the balconies are partially enclosed in the steel superstructure. Does that make the cabins dark? I am looking at a Norway itinerary and expect the temperature will be very cool so perhaps the aft balconies will offer protection from the wind and rain? Does anyone have any photos of the aft cabins/suites showing the balcony view?

The aft balcony is solid metal from floor to railing. If you want to watch the wake you have to stand. No sitting and putting your feet on the lower bar of the railing and watching the sea go by. For your purposes the aft balcony might be protected. I would avoid the deck 8 balconies as the Panorama buffet is overhead and you will hear all that noise of the chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your response. Yes I suspect at that time of year, with the itinerary taking us so far north, we might be pleased with the protection on the balcony. Normally I wouldn't consider a balcony with a "restricted" view as I spend quite a bit of time on the balcony and love to watch the sea. Any one else have experience with these aft facing cabins on the Ocean Princess?

We stayed in cabin 6090 several years ago on a Tahiti cruise. Great location, great views, fantastic spot for sailaways, didn't mind the construction of the bulkhead, but it got mighty hot out there in the afternoon especially when facing the sun. However, the cabin apparently was at the end of the airconditioning run and we got no cold air into our cabin. Something was wrong with the blowers and/or neighbors had their balcony doors open and all the cold air was sucked out of the system before it reached our room. Princess engineers tried to fix it 3 times but didn't have any luck. It was 85F or above in the cabin most nights. Certainly it's fixed by now! Still, we had a great time and would book this cabin again. Enjoy!

We stayed in cabin 6090 several years ago on a Tahiti cruise. Great location, great views, fantastic spot for sailaways, didn't mind the construction of the bulkhead, but it got mighty hot out there in the afternoon especially when facing the sun. However, the cabin apparently was at the end of the airconditioning run and we got no cold air into our cabin. Something was wrong with the blowers and/or neighbors had their balcony doors open and all the cold air was sucked out of the system before it reached our room. Princess engineers tried to fix it 3 times but didn't have any luck. It was 85F or above in the cabin most nights. Certainly it's fixed by now! Still, we had a great time and would book this cabin again. Enjoy!

So pleased to hear that you loved the location and the balcony. I certainly hope the air con is fixed by now, although with a cold weather itinerary we might be happy with warmer than usual cabin temperature!

I've had an aft facing balcony (6093) on the Pacific Princess, and the two ships are identical cabin-wise. I echo the sentiments about the metal, it does cut off the sea a bit. That is compensated by the fact that the balcony is somewhat open overhead. Keep in mind that as the ship has a slant at the back, the privacy is not that good, and if someone stands at the railing in the corner of the other aft balcony on your level (your neighbor in the suite has more room to spread out and generally will move towards the corner of the ship), you will get a full view. Nekkid sunbathing not advised.

Edited by Wehwalt

I've had an aft facing balcony (6093) on the Pacific Princess, and the two ships are identical cabin-wise. I echo the sentiments about the metal, it does cut off the sea a bit. That is compensated by the fact that the balcony is somewhat open overhead. Keep in mind that as the ship has a slant at the back, the privacy is not that good, and if someone stands at the railing in the corner of the other aft balcony on your level (your neighbor in the suite has more room to spread out and generally will move towards the corner of the ship), you will get a full view. Nekkid sunbathing not advised.

Ha ha! That is so funny. It has been a while since I have sunbaked "nekkid" on a ship, but in any event, in Norway I think it might be a little cold anyway..........

I have been in an aft suite of both the Ocean and Pacific Princess in Alaska. It was wonderful. So wonderful that we are doing it again in 82 days. The weather in Alaska is much more like what you will experience than the weather in Tahiti for sure, and the covered balcony was perfect. The location made it so protected that we didn't feel any wind at all when cruising. We could be out there any time, whether it was sunny or raining. Yes, you can lean out and peek into your neighbor's space, but we never noticed anyone trying to see what we were doing. We have always been on deck 7, and I highly recommend it. Never any noise from above, and the only problem we had was with the person below who decided that the no smoking on the balcony rule did not apply to him. He would have his cigar out there and if we were on the balcony that was just too bad for us. I threatened to dump an ice bucket down on his head if he didn't stop, but I guess he knew it was all just talk as it didn't make the least bit of difference. Yes, you do have to stand to see over the rail, but I have been on ships where the "glass" was so dirty you couldn't see through it, so what's the difference? And when the scenery is as spectacular as it was in Alaska, and will be for you, you really don't mind. Grab an aft cabin on deck 7, and get ready for the best time of your life. You'll love it.

Chez you are wonderful!!! Thank you so much. Have you been in one of the aft cabins yourself?

Yes, we were in suit 7119 and it was great. We had no problems with the aircon and there was no noise either. I always spend the afternoons on the balcony and it was not too hot for me but then again I do like it hot. Had some nice sailaways sitting on the balcony with friends. I travelled with my father and I gave him the bed and I slept on the fold out lounge and it was comfortable and I had no problems with it. I would highly recommend this suite.

Chez

We have 6088 May 13th and are really looking forward to it! Thanks for the pictures. Oh yeah, can't wait to sunbathe "nekkid". :eek: Yall must be from the South. We use that way of saying it a lot.:D:D

Jim, we have that cabin September 21 on the Ocean. Do you plan on writing a review or posting photos ?

Norris

norrisadair.blogspot.com