5 day out of NO or 5 day Victory Miami? Help!

helene109

Kids are 18 and 15 Thinking of August

We really like to stay in NO one night or 2 before or after.

Don't like the ports of call or an older ship but airfare from Chicago is a lot less expensive but would miss having a balcony! Husband does not like Mexico but really likes New Orleans

!

Miami airfare out of FLL is very high! Like the ports of call I think it is Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau. We love Grand Cayman but all of the short cruises don't stay there very long.

We only want to do a 5 day cruise and stay over 1 night either before or after.

Any other suggestions would be great! Can't decide

1993 Big Red Boat Honeymoon

1994 Carnival Tropicale

1997 Fantasy

1998 RCCL Nordic Empress

2002 Grand Princess

2005 Victory

Edited by helene109
to add signature

We have done both and enjoyed both. Loved the beach in Miami and walking along the ocean but did not care too much for the South Beach nightlife (we're a tad older than most of the crowd there.). NOLA is WAY more interesting and it was less expensive for meals, cocktails, etc. The itinerary out of Miami was better than the one out of NOLA. If it was me, I would go to NOLA if I had two days for sure and a toss-up if I had just one day. Be sure to check hotel costs especially in NOLA as a convention or music festival there can send hotel pricing up quite a bit. Have a great time!

We leave in Chicagoland as well. We have also went on both trips. This is a tough one. Here are my thoughts.

Travel: You can drive to NOLA,in about 12 hours. Flights to FLL are cheaper than flights to MIA. Southwest and Spirit are the cheapest. If you are looking for cheap airfare Spirtit to Orlando is cheap and you can go out of Port Canaveral or Tampa.

Departure Ports: We love them both but NOLA might not be the best for a 15 yr old. Plenty to do in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. In NOLA August 10th is the Red Dress Run, Google it.

Ships: Victory great ship one of our favorites. Elation (I think) out of NOLA. Good older ship. The Victory has the Seaside Theater, about the only real difference.

Ports: Hands down I would take Nassauu, Half Moon Cat and Grand Turk. HMC is my favorite port of all, Grand Turk is a close second. Counsel is a good port, Progresso is a unique point.

My recommendation, between these two I would do the Victory. However, I may expand my search to include Freedom out of FLL, Breeze out of Miami and the Paradise out of Tampa.

If cost is a factor, either will be a good trip. If it is just between these two with cost not an issue, I'd do the Victory. If open to a 6 day I would do the Freedom. Let me know what you choose and I can give you some more recommendations.

Nola over Miami any day of the week. The food there is super (we never got a bad meal) The prices are a little cheaper. The people are nicer The Elation is great. The Mayan ruins are fantastic to see( there are 2 different ones We went to one it beats all the ones I have been to, other passengers went to the other one and they felt it was the best) . But the choice is yours, have a great Cruise.

Thanks!

The date has to be Monday August 4th so I checked the Freedom is out but air on Spirit is too high!!

Thanks for all input keep them coming!

We stayed on Bourbon street last year so his eyes had a little fun!! So that is o.k.!

We are doing the Sunshine the next week out of Port Canaveral.

If you go out of NOLA, check out the Holiday Inn French Quarter. It's one block off Bourbon Street and they have a package that includes 8 days of parking. Check out the Creole Street Creamery, great ice cream. The Copper Monkey is a great little open air bar off Bourbon Street.

Check out Nachi Cocum/Mr Sanchos in Cozumel, both are all inclusive private beaches. We always go to Nachi as they only allow 150 people each day. They both have websites and their is info under the ports of call boards.

In Progresso we went and did the ruins twice. The are really impressive. Unlike Tulum you are able to climb these ruins. We used Autoprogresso each time. We made our reservations in advance and paid the morning of. (You have to pay cash, they don't take credit cards)

Autoprogresso was great each time we used them.

My friend and I had the same decision, She has never cruised before so I picked out 5 cruises... and let her choose :p We are doing the Victory, which is a great ship with a great itinerary. Did it Feb 2013 with my hubby.

now to decided if we want to drive down or fly out of Detroit ( we live just across the Detroit river in Canada. Cant believe right now with the prices driving would be cheaper :eek:

I just checked and no conventions either before or after. We are thinking 1 full day before and after. We were in NO April 13 for 3 days and it was very cold!

I would bet actual money that New Orleans will not be cold in August.

I would also choose New Orleans just because it's New Orleans.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked the airfare one way to NO is $146 and one way to FLL on SWA is $208 wow!

looking into Port Canaveral but we were in Orlando last year so no one wants to go back there

still leaning towards Elation