Afternoon in South Beach Miami with Kids

kasmca

Hi there,

I will be cruising next week and we will be flying into Miami a day early. We have two girls ages 8 and 10 with us (family of 4) and would like some suggestions for spending a Saturday afternoon / evening at South Beach.

Unfortunately our budget did not allow us to book a hotel in South Beach so we are staying near the airport. We are planning on cabbing or taking the 150 bus to South Beach.

A few questions: What part of the beach would be the best for a family. I heard 12th street is the area where people are dressed a bit risque so it may not be appropriate for kids. Also beside the beach, are there recommended streets to stroll down or activities for a family?

Thanks!

Personally I would not take young children to South Beach on a Saturday evening. :o Even tho things don't start really hopping until 10 and later, the area is just too "hectic" for young children in my opinion. Loud pounding music, crowds, scanty clothes,questionable activites as you mentioned etc.

If you go in the afternoon for the beach around Lumus Park it would be full of families. But you'd want to head out before things get going. You can rent bikes in that area, take a Water Ducks tour around Miami/south beach and the islands. But in your case, I would surely plan your day and EARLY evening ahead of time.

Hi there,

I will be cruising next week and we will be flying into Miami a day early. We have two girls ages 8 and 10 with us (family of 4) and would like some suggestions for spending a Saturday afternoon / evening at South Beach.

Unfortunately our budget did not allow us to book a hotel in South Beach so we are staying near the airport. We are planning on cabbing or taking the 150 bus to South Beach.

A few questions: What part of the beach would be the best for a family. I heard 12th street is the area where people are dressed a bit risque so it may not be appropriate for kids. Also beside the beach, are there recommended streets to stroll down or activities for a family?

Thanks!

South of Fifth is where all the families are on the weekends in South Beach.

You do know South Beach is topless right?