Taking Food Off The Ship

scuddles

I recently saw a post from someone who said that they ordered a sandwich from room service, put it in a zip lock bag and take it with them to the next port for lunch. Do people really do this? We have a few kids that this would be a great idea for but I don't want to cause a commotion leaving the ship.

I have been on a bunch of cruises.

Last September they had someone checking for food.

They were looking in bags.

I had a food item under some other stuff which they did not see.

It was not fruit.

And it was nothing that would carry any kind of beasties

I did not worry because if they had found it, then so what.

You can take sealed packs of stuff off the ship.

Cracker packs or chips or cookies.

Little boxes of cereal.

Maybe it would be enough for the kids until you get back onboard?

Edited by mzloolue

I have seen people do this../ rules states no but they ask you not to smuggle liquor on but people so anyway.... We take boxes of lucky charms and fruit loops from breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get ready for the readers to admonish you not to do this! :D

P.S. Can't say I blame you. I don't feel comfortable eating food from shacks/mom & pop restaurants in third world countries.

I just don't understand why people don't respect the rules countries have such as not bringing food in etc. It's not that big of a deal. I'm also curious, why you think food outside of the USA is dangerous? If it was, wouldn't all the locals be in agony from eating the tainted food?

I've also seen dogs at a couple of ports snorting peoples' bags and have seen a few asked to open them.

I was told it wasn't just drugs but food too.

Just eat before you leave and when you get back or take a chance on sneaking food ashore and getting stopped if that floats your boat.

We walked off the Glory in Cozumel and as we got half way down the pier the Mexican authorities where there with a dog sniffing us and what we were carrying. The Mexican agent said they were looking for food and fruit. :cool: I bet if you got caught there would be a fine.

We take the little boxes of cereal when we snorkel....the fishies love it.

The third world countries don't want that clean healthy food on their island......competing with their no health standards way of cooking or handling food!!!

Edited by 1gr8cruise

I'm also curious, why you think food outside of the USA is dangerous? If it was, wouldn't all the locals be in agony from eating the tainted food?

It's not the food itself. They probably don't have health inspectors so I don't trust that the sanitary conditions are up to par.

Ok, So I never said it would be another country, it is actually a US port and we will have been traveling for a week and half prior so hard to keep stopping for snacks. Second I have no problems eating food from other countries and neither do any of my family members. Poor assumption from no indication in my post.

We were just thinking of the little ones and trying to work in a few extra activities and I did not want to add stopping at a convenience store in addition to everything else.

Those of you that have done this, thank you for your input. I just wanted to know if it would be a problem to take a few items, not fruit of course.

Ok, So I never said it would be another country, it is actually a US port and we will have been traveling for a week and half prior so hard to keep stopping for snacks. Second I have no problems eating food from other countries and neither do any of my family members. Poor assumption from no indication in my post.

We were just thinking of the little ones and trying to work in a few extra activities and I did not want to add stopping at a convenience store in addition to everything else.

Those of you that have done this, thank you for your input. I just wanted to know if it would be a problem to take a few items, not fruit of course.

Grab a few boxes of cereal from the buffet in the morning .. they are sealed..and just enough to keep the hungries at bay for a little bit. I am not a little one lol ...but I get a little car sick sometimes and it helps to calm my stomach.

Oh gosh, I just posted the same question!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Fruit is never ok but from the replies you may or may not be ok. Worth a try for the little ones but you might not want to use an ice chest.

Get ready for the readers to admonish you not to do this! :D

P.S. Can't say I blame you. I don't feel comfortable eating food from shacks/mom & pop restaurants in third world countries.

With a few exceptions in central America most Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico ports arent really third world countries...developing countries maybe.

The food law would not be there without a reason, if it saves one life/one digestive system its worth it.

Theres also the common sense advice. My Grandad did charity work in Kenya and was instructed not to give the children any of the sweets he had bought as they would harm their teeth and stomachs due to them not being used to it.

I used to take packed biscuits/Chocolate milk off the ship because hubby is diabetic.

With a few exceptions in central America most Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico ports arent really third world countries...developing countries maybe.

The food law would not be there without a reason, if it saves one life/one digestive system its worth it.

Theres also the common sense advice. My Grandad did charity work in Kenya and was instructed not to give the children any of the sweets he had bought as they would harm their teeth and stomachs due to them not being used to it.

I used to take packed biscuits/Chocolate milk off the ship because hubby is diabetic.

Actually, they are third world countries if you understand what a 3rd world country really is. The US and it's allies are 1st world, Russia and it's allies are 2nd world, everybody else are 3rd world. I know 3rd world has taken on a new meaning to mean poor, but it is not so. You can be a wealthy country, but if you do not join in as allies, you are still 3rd world.

Would gopicnic packs be OK in Cozumel? I have hypoglycemia which I have to eat a small meal every 3-4 hours. I keep these meals handy at home and work for when I need a quick meal. We are doing an all day mainland excursion and I would like to bring one just in case I need to eat between breakfast and when I will have the chance to grab lunch.

http://www.gopicnic.com

Would gopicnic packs be OK in Cozumel? I have hypoglycemia which I have to eat a small meal every 3-4 hours. I keep these meals handy at home and work for when I need a quick meal. We are doing an all day mainland excursion and I would like to bring one just in case I need to eat between breakfast and when I will have the chance to grab lunch.

http://www.gopicnic.com

It's all prepackaged so that should be fine. I like those for flights too.

To all who think it's OK to bring food off the ship......

Countries are trying to protect their ecosystems from FURTHER damage.

I never want to plastic wrap a swing set again because we are going to be crop dusted with Malathion. Suffered thru this too often in the early '90s because of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly.

And about bugs on cruise ships- sailed on the Sapphire Princess at the beginning of March. Eating raw asparagus, found a puny bug crawling on my plate.

It's not the food itself. They probably don't have health inspectors so I don't trust that the sanitary conditions are up to par.

Do you have health inspectors in your kitchen?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

To all who think it's OK to bring food off the ship......

Countries are trying to protect their ecosystems from FURTHER damage.

I never want to plastic wrap a swing set again because we are going to be crop dusted with Malathion. Suffered thru this too often in the early '90s because of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly.

And about bugs on cruise ships- sailed on the Sapphire Princess at the beginning of March. Eating raw asparagus, found a puny bug crawling on my plate.

I remember spraying for the medfly in the 80s, too, in Southern California. Not pleasant at all.

Most places will allow you to take off unopened, factory-sealed items such as Power Bars (I'll usually pack something like these before going on a trip). There are some areas such as Australia that won't even allow ANY food to be taken off a ship and brought into the ports there.