Weather at Volcano NP?

OhJinkies

I'll be touring VNP from Hilo in late May -- how should I dress? Do I need a warm jacket for the higher elevations, or is it pretty hot in May? Should I bring a rain poncho?

Packed a light jacket just in case . I expect that it will probably be warm and sunny.

Bring a jacket for sure. It can be much cooler at the higher elevation especially if it is an overcast day. Chances are that it will be beautiful, but always be prepared. I see so many folks up there that are freezing and not enjoying the experience because they failed to bring along some kind of a light jacket.

It's very unpredictable - could be hot and humid, or cold and foggy, so bring some sort of a jacket just in case. I've been there when there were actually snow flurries - quickly bought a sweatshirt in the park gift shop.

Not sure about May weather but you can access the National Park webcam and also check NOA website.

I was there just last week and even though the forecast was for 70% chance of rain there was none and the high winds pushed all the clouds away for the most part

It was quite windy and a bit chilly at night at the Jaggar museum area to see the glow at night but other than that a light jacket was useful for the weather changes.

The weather in Hawaii doesn't change much by season. It depends more on which side of the island you're on and especially elevation. HNP can be hot, muggy, windy, and rainy all in the same day depending on what side of the park you are on. Always bring a jacket, the wind itself is pretty cold.

It's very unpredictable - could be hot and humid, or cold and foggy, so bring some sort of a jacket just in case. I've been there when there were actually snow flurries - quickly bought a sweatshirt in the park gift shop.

I'll be on the same cruise as Cathy, and I gotta say...if I see any SNOW in Hawaii after this long winter, I'm gonna be peeved! LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by no1racefan1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely going to need to bring a jacket. I'm trying not too overpack for this trip, but I'm also doing the sunrise excursion to Haleakala and will definitely need a few layers for that one!