Wardrobe Capsule - such a treat!

Mytime2014

Somewhere on this forum, I found a link to this blog, can't remember what thread but WOW thanks for sharing. I have been trying to improve my closet as I have boring clothes.

Anyway - having lost a little bit of weight and needing some new things, I'm using the "Paris" capsule as a guideline to start rebuilding. With 3.5 months before cruise, I'll wait to buy some of the things until closer to see how much I lose.

Alaska needs a few more options for the range of temps - or so I hear, so I'm allowing for that. Still I think the wardrobe ideas will definitely liven up my everyday wear.

http://www.outfitposts.com/2013/10/one-suitcase-paris-vacation-capsule_11.html

Somewhere on this forum, I found a link to this blog, can't remember what thread but WOW thanks for sharing. I have been trying to improve my closet as I have boring clothes.

Anyway - having lost a little bit of weight and needing some new things, I'm using the "Paris" capsule as a guideline to start rebuilding. With 3.5 months before cruise, I'll wait to buy some of the things until closer to see how much I lose.

Alaska needs a few more options for the range of temps - or so I hear, so I'm allowing for that. Still I think the wardrobe ideas will definitely liven up my everyday wear.

http://www.outfitposts.com/2013/10/one-suitcase-paris-vacation-capsule_11.html

First, good luck with your weight loss and thank you for sharing outfitposts. I love it!

However, here's the thing, she's shows that she'll wear a couple of the shirts and tees at least three times...does she plan to do wash on vacation? I love how creatively she put these outfits together...I just don't understand how you can wear a top three times? Am I a dunce and missing something? I've been to Paris and wore my jeans jacket several times but I've never worn a top more than once. Pants and skirts yes. How do you plan to do it? I'd love to know because it's certainly an excellent way to lighten up on packing, which is something I'm going to try doing as I'm a notorious over packer and want to change my way of doing things.

Edited by mousey

First, good luck with your weight loss and thank you for sharing outfitposts. I love it!

However, here's the thing, she's shows that she'll wear a couple of the shirts and tees at least three times...does she plan to do wash on vacation? I love how creatively she put these outfits together...I just don't understand how you can wear a top three times? Am I a dunce and missing something? I've been to Paris and wore my jeans jacket several times but I've never worn a top more than once. Pants and skirts yes. How do you plan to do it? I'd love to know because it's certainly an excellent way to lighten up on packing, which is something I'm going to try doing as I'm a notorious over packer and want to change my way of doing things.

I hadn't thought that far!! My initial thought was - here is a way to coordinate my closet [not just for the cruise] and these things look packable...since it is supposed to be 20 outfits [?] I think I would wear a tank or T under the long sleeve shirts and possibly plan to do a bag of laundry mid-cruise vs wash out tops and hang to dry. Not having cruised before - not sure how that would work out.

Hmmmm food for thought.

For a 7 day cruise - would you pack tops for each day? Since I hear that I may need everything from winter gear to summer gear....I want to be prepared but not taking 7 of cold and hot clothes!

Also look at ladylighttravel.com and The Vivienne Files.

The Vivienne Files blog has many different color combinations for capsule wardrobes.

Ladylighttravel.com puts the capsule wardrobe into real life travel situations.

I hadn't thought that far!! My initial thought was - here is a way to coordinate my closet [not just for the cruise] and these things look packable...since it is supposed to be 20 outfits [?] I think I would wear a tank or T under the long sleeve shirts and possibly plan to do a bag of laundry mid-cruise vs wash out tops and hang to dry. Not having cruised before - not sure how that would work out.

Hmmmm food for thought.

For a 7 day cruise - would you pack tops for each day? Since I hear that I may need everything from winter gear to summer gear....I want to be prepared but not taking 7 of cold and hot clothes!

You don't have to do that (pack 14 outfits), just take clothes that you can layer. Have you checked out the Alaska board? There is so much information there.

If it will help, here's what I did. I should add, that for me, anything 60 or under is very cold and I don't pack light as I'm not comfortable with that. So, please take that into consideration. LOL!

I flew from LAX to Seattle and boarded our ship there. Then when we returned to Seattle, we spent one day and two nights there.

Our cruise was taken during the first week of August. The weather in the ports went from cold and rainy to cool and sunny. There wasn't a point where I would say it was hot. Some thought in Canada it was warm.

On the flight to Seattle, I wore a pair of jeans and my heaviest shoes, which were a pair of what I call "duck" boots. They are water resistant with leather uppers and rubber bottoms and are quilted on the inside. I also carried an all-weather coat. It had a detachable hood. The hood came in handy for our first port Ketchikan, where it was cold and rainy. I also wore a long t-shirt under a button up shirt. The key to dressing for Alaska is to layer, layer, layer. It was cool when we were in Seattle before the cruise so I was dressed just fine.

Most of the time on the cruise I wore a long-sleeved thermal top under a 3/4 length sleeved t-shirt and over that I wore a pullover fleece top. I'd also wear a scarf and a hat. When I would go outside on deck, I'd put on gloves and my all-weather coat. This worked very well for me because if I got warm, I would just pull off my fleece top and tie it around my waist. This happened only once on the ship. I packed 7 thermal tops and 7 t-shirts. I had two fleece pullovers, and one zip-up one.

At night, I would wear very casual clothes. Mostly a denim maxi skirt or jeans with various tunic sweaters belted low on the waist. I had a pair of blk. low-heeled shoes that I wore almost every night. For dress-up night I wore a blk. maxi skirt with a vintage, jeweled, cardigan sweater. I packed 4 pairs of jeans, 4 tunic sweaters (they were cotton), one denim maxi skirt, a blk. cotton maxi skirt, and my vintage cardigan.

I had two evening bags and one cross-body bag. The DH and DS carried back packs so I didn't need to have one. I also had a pair of black boots that I wore a lot on the ship but not in ports. I packed several knit hats, gloves, and scarves. I also packed several pair of thick, footless tights, which I wore with thick socks over them. I'd wear them under my jeans when I was in port. I also packed a swimsuit for the hot tub...but never went in. I did use it at the hot tub at the hotel we stayed in while in Seattle.

I also packed a denim jacket to wear in Seattle. Thank goodness I did because when we came back from the cruise, it was a rare, warm day in Seattle so I didn't need a coat.

Some may say that's a lot to pack but it worked for me. I was comfortable the whole time for every occasion that came up.

I would suggest that for Alaska that you pack a small umbrella, which I used in Ketchikan, a good pair of binoculars, and the best camera you have because the views in Alaska are beyond awesome.:D

All of my clothing, including underwear and pjs fit into one large, wheeled suitcase. The DH and I shared a 21" carry-on, in which we put all our meds, tolietries, umbrella, camera, and binoculars (we took 3 pr...one for ea. of us). Believe me they were so worth taking.

Alaska is one of my all-time favorite cruises! It was just amazing. In our first port, Ketchikan, the DS and DH when Salmon fishing and caught a ton of them. They were shipped home and we ate Salmon for over a month! At another port we went rock climbing. We also at other ports, went on a rafting trip to get close to one of the glaciers and on a boat to go whale watching. In the Canadian port we just went for a walk and did some last minute souvenir shopping. We had a blast!

I hope this helps a bit.:D

Edited by mousey

When packing light (as I try to do for most of my trips, though not all) I absolutely plan to do laundry during the trip. Usually it's just a case of washing a couple things at night in the sink and hanging them in the shower to dry over the next couple days. This is a major reason I don't travel with denim or other fabrics that take too long to dry.

I don't intend this to be one of those debates about what to pack when you travel because we all have difference desires and priorities, but IF your goal is to be a minimalist, you must do laundry.

Congratulations on your current weight loss and good luck to you as you continue on the weight loss journey! While I know it's not a favorite of some of the members here, I personally love the concept of capsule packing! I think it's a great way to get yourself in the mindset to help maximize your wardrobe in everyday scenarios as well.

Thanks for all of the links that were shared! I love looking at the way people combine capsules. Outfit Posts is definitely one of my favorites. I really enjoy the way she includes pictures of what all is in the capsule and then takes actual photos of the outfits put together while she is wearing them.

I think this is a great explanation of how to do laundry while on vacation, though I would only assume bottom layers are "dirty" and need laundering. http://ladylighttravel.com/2013/10/20/how-to-do-sink-laundry-while-traveling/

While I haven't gone on an Alaskan cruise and can only speak to my experience on Caribbean cruises, I find that I only wear actual outfits a minimal amount of time since I am normally in a bathing suit and cover-up so I don't deem the clothing I wear dirty after only a couple of hours of wear. You may find this to be the case with your dinner wear.

Edited by kellane

When packing light (as I try to do for most of my trips, though not all) I absolutely plan to do laundry during the trip. Usually it's just a case of washing a couple things at night in the sink and hanging them in the shower to dry over the next couple days. This is a major reason I don't travel with denim or other fabrics that take too long to dry.

I don't intend this to be one of those debates about what to pack when you travel because we all have difference desires and priorities, but IF your goal is to be a minimalist, you must do laundry.

Thank you for that straightforward response!:D I'd love to try the capsule way of packing and dressing but I was just wondering how you would wear a top three times without doing laundry. The simple answer is you don't. I've been wanting to try packing light and doing the capsule way of dressing but I just cannot see myself doing wash on vacation...it's just not for me. However, I am going to try packing light in a way that I don't need to do wash. That's my challenge.:D Also, if I was offered a free cruise but had to pack light, which would entail dong laundry...yep...then I'd do it! Anything to cruise!:D

I typically hand wash 1-2 items a day when traveling. It takes all of 2-3 minutes, I usually do it just before leaving for breakfast, leaving them to drip dry on the line in the shower. I have never had something not dry by the next morning.

I posted the link on another board and a member said she could never pack like that because she would drip something....good think I didn't have coke in my mouth when I snorted. Seriously - you have shampoo, a sink and hands.

Of course, I did tell a friend the other day I was tempted to buy disposable glasses and lunch containers because I am tired of loading the dishwasher

I posted the link on another board and a member said she could never pack like that because she would drip something....good think I didn't have coke in my mouth when I snorted. Seriously - you have shampoo, a sink and hands.

Of course, I did tell a friend the other day I was tempted to buy disposable glasses and lunch containers because I am tired of loading the dishwasher

I'm a messy eater too. I think it was Hoyaheel I had that discussion with, regarding tops/blouses/t-shirts/sweaters :D

I always plan on sending laundry when on vacation. The most challenging one to pack for was living in Canada in winter, travelling to Ft Lauderdale, doing a VERY hot Caribbean cruise, and then returning to Canada to spend 3 days in a hotel before returning home in Canada. We were gone 18 days total, and managed with one carry on each and one checked bag each. That includes the disgusting winter coats and boots that we needed.

You are going on HAL, and you have a choice about laundry. Usually there are all-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag specials at $20/bag, or you can sign up for unlimited laundry (where you can send laundry every day if you choose) at around $7/day per cabin.

For your Alaska trip, I strongly suggest that you make one of your pieces a long-sleeved cashmere item. Warm, light, scrunches up to nearly nothing and is very useful as an extra layer if it is chilly. I am a huge advocate of thrift store shopping. I have never spent more than $10ish for a cashmere sweater in a thrift store. Despite the "dry clean only" instructions on most of them, they can be hand-washed (or in the machine if you are careful).

And a fleece top. You probably need at least one fleece top, for warmth.

I typically can get 2 wears from a top (more for outer layers - eg sweater with a shirt underneath it) If I'm on a cruise, I might wear something for dinner and then again the following day on a port visit. (for casual nights - t-shirt or tank & cardigan, maybe with a scarf). Depending on temps & wear (and how messy dinner was :p) I might even get 3 wears. But that's not 3 8-hr stretches of wearing a shirt - it's usually more like 3-4 hours at a stretch.

Edited by Hoyaheel

I'm a messy eater too. I think it was Hoyaheel I had that discussion with, regarding tops/blouses/t-shirts/sweaters :D

I always plan on sending laundry when on vacation. The most challenging one to pack for was living in Canada in winter, travelling to Ft Lauderdale, doing a VERY hot Caribbean cruise, and then returning to Canada to spend 3 days in a hotel before returning home in Canada. We were gone 18 days total, and managed with one carry on each and one checked bag each. That includes the disgusting winter coats and boots that we needed.

You are going on HAL, and you have a choice about laundry. Usually there are all-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag specials at $20/bag, or you can sign up for unlimited laundry (where you can send laundry every day if you choose) at around $7/day per cabin.

For your Alaska trip, I strongly suggest that you make one of your pieces a long-sleeved cashmere item. Warm, light, scrunches up to nearly nothing and is very useful as an extra layer if it is chilly. I am a huge advocate of thrift store shopping. I have never spent more than $10ish for a cashmere sweater in a thrift store. Despite the "dry clean only" instructions on most of them, they can be hand-washed (or in the machine if you are careful).

And a fleece top. You probably need at least one fleece top, for warmth.

I'm prepared to do the $20 bag one time and handwash a few things. I went to GoodWill Saturday and looked at lots of things but not sweaters....I don't think I've ever owned a cashmere sweater - living in San Antonio I only have a couple of sweaters for the really cold days and 2 sweatshirts! I would like to find a nice one. Definitely plan to go there and a thrift store on Saturdays since they are close by.

I have no idea how to dress for COLD!! tho I did order some cuddle duds

While not quite as warm as cashmere, silk knits will also keep you warm. They are extremely lightweight, are hand washable, and dry quickly. I get very little use out of my cashmere living in Florida, but I wear the silk knits a lot in the cooler months.

My best cold tip is to keep your head and neck warm. Scarves and ear muffs or a hat are critical.

Also don't forget gloves and warm socks--not cotton! Tech socks like runners wear under a wool or wool blend will keep,your feet toasty without adding bulk. Tech socks dry super fast, wool and wool blends take much longer, so plan accordingly.

Sweatshirts won't keep you as warm as a fleece will. Cotton is not your friend in cold weather.

Edited by ducklite

I agree, it is very important to keep your hands and feet; head and neck covered. That's why I took warm gloves, socks, hats and scarves on my Alaskan cruise. I stuffed the socks, gloves and some of the scarves in my boots to help keep their shape.:D

I still swear by wearing long underalls under shirts and sweaters. The silk ones are lightweight and keep you warm.

But again, most importantly when dressing for Alaska...layer, layer, layer.:D