Living in Alaska

grandma101

I watched this program on Sunday night and found it interesting but not all that helpful for travel information. One of the houses featured is not very far from a relative's house. House prices in Alaska are high for sure and the logical size of a residence is usually on the small size due to the high cost of heating.

Also any house with skylights will not have much additional light from them in winter and the snow cover blocks the light.

Each of the houses shown last night were far larger and fancier than what my family has had.

Being from California and that I love visiting Alaska, I really enjoyed watching both of the "Living in Alaska" shows. I did not realize Eagle River was so beautiful. That is my favorite time up there during the time the Alaska State Fair is playing in early Sept. Beautiful fall colors everywhere.

During the second program, I was shocked that the sales person showed them such a rundown home for their first house to look at. Obviously, what woman would want to move there with holes in the floors for vents. Looks like that house needed leveling and starting over.

I did not feel it was a show to show visitors to Alaska necessarily but those that are experiencing wanting to buy homes up there and the feel of the area in which the couples are looking at. I enjoyed it completely.

Many people are surprised to find that it is not easy to buy land in Alaska and thus a house that is in poor condition might be the best way to get your hands on the lot.

Or not.

One of the houses shown on the programs has been on other house buying shows about Alaska and would be a very expensive house to live in. I know where it is and find the limited/seasonal view of the water to be a negative factor.

Yes, Eagle River has some beautiful areas.

All that fuss about bears when the bears are there and are a fact of life. Can't tell you how much 'fun' it is to unload groceries from you car and then make your way up to your house.

We battled the idea of living in AK after a trip there in the 90's. We had spent 3 days in Anchorage with a trip to Girdwood and towards Whittier. Then we did a SB 7 day to Vancouver.

In 2009 we went back with a NB and a land cruise stopping in Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks. The further north we went the more we learned about the good stuff and the not so good.

Having lived in North Iowa for the past 14 years, the -20 F at times is a struggle. These folks are dealing with some far worse weather than we get here.

We just came back from a visit to Anchorage. The weather was 40 F warmer for the Iditarod compared to what was going on at home.

You see so many homes with outhouses, well they need them because even the nicest of homes have there sewer lines freeze. The more north the worse it gets.

The folks up there are a hardy bunch and work through it. I do not think I could embrace the lifestyle and the thought of having to fend off the bears just to go to the bathroom would be a challenge!

We battled the idea of living in AK after a trip there in the 90's. We had spent 3 days in Anchorage with a trip to Girdwood and towards Whittier. Then we did a SB 7 day to Vancouver.

In 2009 we went back with a NB and a land cruise stopping in Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks. The further north we went the more we learned about the good stuff and the not so good.

Having lived in North Iowa for the past 14 years, the -20 F at times is a struggle. These folks are dealing with some far worse weather than we get here.

We just came back from a visit to Anchorage. The weather was 40 F warmer for the Iditarod compared to what was going on at home.

I agree it is a beautiful place to visit but I do not think I would want to live there either. I hope to go back and visit many more times but home in De is where I want to be. I love our Sandy beaches and change of seasons. Not too cold .....Not too Hot. I also love a bit of Summer but as August rolls in then I am ready for Fall. Then I can't wait until the first Snow. This year we have had more than usual but I am one that loved each one of them. But I am ready for Spring now too.

I did notice that the houses on those shows were really not what I would of hoped to get in Alaska. And I am not sure I could ever get use to an outhouse. lol But I loved the show for the beautiful sites and I love the House Hunters so this show fits right in. My husband is always saying to me "Are we Moving?" I just like to see what houses cost in different parts of the World and what houses the couple choose to buy.

My daughter went to work in Denali last summer on a 14 week contract, intending to move back home in the fall. But she fell in love with Alaska and stayed for the winter, working at Alyeska resort in Girdwood. She DID request all manner of insulated underwear and cold weather gear for Christmas, but is enchanted by the state- cold and all.

(Of course, the handsome ski instructor may be the real attraction!)

And I am not sure I could ever get use to an outhouse.

I've lived in Alaska for 33 years. Never had a house with an outhouse. If you decide to live rural, or in a dry cabin in Fairbanks you might run into an outhouse, but otherwise most homes have indoor plumbing.

I agree with AKStafford......However, at least half of the homes in Alaska do have outhouses....just not the ones in Anchorage....so much....:)...They live regular lives like people elsewhere. Looked at the show and found most of it to be fake...Life up here is expensive....It has been rated the 23rd most expensive city in the US to live just about a week ago. Our food is quite expensive as is our real estate in the Anchorage area...the the taxes keep increasing....While it is not as expensive as NJ, it ain't cheap....:) Skylights (at least mine) do let in light during the winter...the snow melts on they fairly fast as obviously they are not as well insulated. This winter was darn warm....but in the Anchorage area it is not unusual to have a couple of weeks of -20 to -30 in the winter....and the Fairbanks area can see -60 fairly frequently....and we have hundreds of earthquakes every day in Alaska....and if you do not believe that, look it up on the earthquake site..While Anchorage is mostly free of snow right now, I live 20 miles north and I still have 2' of snow and am still running my sled dogs on the trails....and we have over 13 hrs of light now.....It is a wonderful place to live if you love winter and mountains and drop dead scenery....and don't mind having bears and moose in your yard, but it ani't but it is not for everyone...We have over 800 bears in the city of Anchorage, and over 1500 moose...I have had a wolverine walk by my window when I lived in Anchorage....it is an amazing land....That said, most of the reality shows about Alaska just ain't true....and neither are the house hunter shows in Alaska either......LOL..

You see so many homes with outhouses, well they need them because even the nicest of homes have there sewer lines freeze. The more north the worse it gets.

After 25 years (so far) living in the part where it gets to -45 or so every now and then I have never heard of anyone's sewer line freezing. I spent 7 years with only an outhouse (and no running water) because that's what my budget would allow.

I agree with AKStafford......However, at least half of the homes in Alaska do have outhouses....just not the ones in Anchorage....so much....:)...They live regular lives like people elsewhere. Looked at the show and found most of it to be fake...Life up here is expensive....It has been rated the 23rd most expensive city in the US to live just about a week ago. Our food is quite expensive as is our real estate in the Anchorage area...the the taxes keep increasing....While it is not as expensive as NJ, it ain't cheap....:) Skylights (at least mine) do let in light during the winter...the snow melts on they fairly fast as obviously they are not as well insulated. This winter was darn warm....but in the Anchorage area it is not unusual to have a couple of weeks of -20 to -30 in the winter....and the Fairbanks area can see -60 fairly frequently....and we have hundreds of earthquakes every day in Alaska....and if you do not believe that, look it up on the earthquake site..While Anchorage is mostly free of snow right now, I live 20 miles north and I still have 2' of snow and am still running my sled dogs on the trails....and we have over 13 hrs of light now.....It is a wonderful place to live if you love winter and mountains and drop dead scenery....and don't mind having bears and moose in your yard, but it ani't but it is not for everyone...We have over 800 bears in the city of Anchorage, and over 1500 moose...I have had a wolverine walk by my window when I lived in Anchorage....it is an amazing land....That said, most of the reality shows about Alaska just ain't true....and neither are the house hunter shows in Alaska either......LOL..

I know this might be difficult to ask but I will anyway. I am coming to Alaska around May 24th. Because you had a warm winter are they expecting for it to be warm the end of May. I know hard to say but just wanted your opinion.