Golden Princess

welshladyb

Hi there. We are looking at the LA to Rio cruise on the Golden Princess. Only sailed once on Princess, the old Regal. It was a bit disappointing and tired, decor wise and entertainment not the best. I read somewhere that the Golden was being refurb end a tad in early 2014, anyone heard anything about that? If anyone has sailed recently on this ship I would be very grateful for thoughts and info. Many thanks.

Hi there. We are looking at the LA to Rio cruise on the Golden Princess. Only sailed once on Princess, the old Regal. It was a bit disappointing and tired, decor wise and entertainment not the best. I read somewhere that the Golden was being refurb end a tad in early 2014, anyone heard anything about that? If anyone has sailed recently on this ship I would be very grateful for thoughts and info. Many thanks.

The Golden had a major drydock in 2009 adding the International Cafe, Crown Grill, window suites, suites/OV on the sun deck, redesigned Piazza, and several other additions.

She is a beautiful ship. Any drydocks after would be normal maintenance, replacing carpet, painting the hull etc.

We were on the Golden in Dec/Jan on the South American cruise that you are looking at. The ship was in fine physical shape. We had only one issue on a night of rough seas when our room made a lot of creaking noises.

You'll have a great voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks very much for taking time to reply. Good to know that things are " ship shape" on this cruise ship! As we are celebrating our Golden Wedding and my 70th birthday, we are very keen to make the right choice. Any cabin suggestions? Wud like balcony but may have to compromise with an outside. Thanks again

Thanks very much for taking time to reply. Good to know that things are " ship shape" on this cruise ship! As we are celebrating our Golden Wedding and my 70th birthday, we are very keen to make the right choice. Any cabin suggestions? Wud like balcony but may have to compromise with an outside. Thanks again

We hope that you enjoy your celebration as much as we did. One year ago this March 27, we did a 14 day Hawaiian cruise for our 50th and both of our 70th birthdays. We were lucky enough to be upselled to a suite on the Sun deck and boy was that fantastic. ;) Remember, travel first class, if you don't, your kids will! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We hope that you enjoy your celebration as much as we did. One year ago this March 27, we did a 14 day Hawaiian cruise on the Golden for our 50th and both of our 70th birthdays. We were lucky enough to be upselled to a suite on the Sun deck and boy was that fantastic. ;) Remember, travel first class, or your kids will! :D

We had a balcony on the port side which was really great when we went around Cape Horn...great front row seat from our Aloha deck balcony. You have to dress for all 4 seasons since you have cool weather that turns hot around the equator. Then it gets cold as you head south around Cape Horn (we had snow). Then it got hot heading up to Buenos Aires and Rio (105 degrees).

You'll have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Hope to be sorting this trip out very soon. Daughter was married on Saturday so have to be sure what's left after paying the bills...those with children will know what I mean. Thanks for the info and taking time to post. Look forward to seeing you ( hopefully).

We cruised to Santiago on the Golden in December. The ship is in fine shape, but I will say that the entertainment was not that great, especially the individual performers.

This is probably partly because we've cruised Princess enough that the shows are too familiar and also because we'd been on the Golden to Hawaii last Feb. (2013) so that we were almost too familiar with the ship. I like trying different ships (and different cruise lines).

We normally love sea days, and have done several TA's, for instance, but got a little bored on this cruise. I'd love to do the Santiago to Rio portion now, though I'd choose a different ship just for variety. But, I think you'll have a great cruise with wonderful sights anyway.

• 1 month later...

We just recently sailed on the Golden this April and the ship is beautiful.

The wear was noticed in our room. The carpeting was quite stained(perhaps coffee spills), the balcony door wouldn't lock, even after it was supposedly fixed. And we had a major squeak somewhere within our walls by the closet when the seas were moderate. It was loud enough that I had to buy ear plugs. The drain in the shower was slow to drain so you had to take a fairly quick shower.

We did notice a board under our mattress for support, and the pillows were comfortable.

I also noticed quite a few public chairs and sofas that lacked cushion.

Other than that, the ship was great!