This is going to be a draining topic.

atate75

A friend of mine said that Carnival drains all of the pools at night and fills them back up in the morning. He said that they use sea water so it is easy for them to do. Is he messing with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A friend of mine said that Carnival drains all of the pools at night and fills them back up in the morning. He said that they use sea water so it is easy for them to do. Is he messing with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He is correct

That would explain why the pools taste like sea water... they definitely aren't normal salt water pools (which don't have a strong smell or taste at all like sea water). And they do put nets over them at night. I've just never been up late enough to see if they drain them!

I wish it was someone messing with you, but they aren't.

One thing we used to do on the Conquest was go get pizza late at night and we'd see the crew down there scrubbing the pool and surrounding deck with a sanitizer solution.

No, your friend is not messing with you. I just got off the Pride yesterday and I can tell you that all the pools and hot tubs were shut down at 10pm every night. They were emptied and cleaned every night.

Edited by Eng23

Most pools are salt water. Someone said they weren't "normal" sea water, and I guess that this is due to the fact that even sea water pools, when within 12 miles of land, must be in recirculation mode, and therefore chlorinated. Not all lines drain the pools every night, some do it weekly, some twice weekly. Most hot tubs are fresh water, but they are generally drained nightly as well.