Hotel Recommendations in NO

blaneyliss

We are staying in NO the night before our cruise and one night afterwards. Simply to get to enjoy it more, we are hoping to stay in the French Quarter for both of these stays, but if people recommend staying closer to port, we will certainly consider that.

What are some of the best hotels in the area? We are willing to spend a little money for at least one of the nights but are on a budget, so getting the most bang for our buck would be nice. Any recommendations from those who know the area or have stayed there before? Thanks so much!

The Ritz Carlton is nice, but not the best value, perhaps.

There is quite an assortment to choose from so I'll toss out some.

http://www.hotelmonteleone.com/

http://www.lepavillon.com/

http://www.sonesta.com/neworleans_royal/

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/MSYCP/main.wnt

party animals seem to like this one:

http://www.innonbourbon.com/

I have stayed at the Le Pavillon, elegant hotel, but rooms are small and it is not safe at night to walk to the French Quarter. I am also staying one night before and one after, fortunately my sister is a Marriot and Hilton member so she got us rooms at the Doubletree for free on the front side, the back side of the trip I was able to get a room at Iberville suites which is adjacent to the Ritz-Carlton for $109.00, this is a block from the French Quarter on a quiet street. Beware of value hotels in the Quarter as they are very seedy. If your interest is exploring the French Quarter I would stay close to there and cab it to the port, which is only about 2 miles away. Since alot of us are staying at the Doubletree we are going to try to have their shuttle take us. You may want to check with hotels and find out if they offer service to the port.

We stayed at the Royal St. Charles, right off Canal Street (a block down from Bourbon). The hotel staff was great (had a van waiting for us to take us to the pier Sunday morning), and the location is very good. I felt very comfortable there and would stay there again.

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend we stayed at The Bienville House Hotel on Decatur Street. Unique place with great character. We loved it. It was like stepping back in time fifty years. Very much enjoyed our stay. Felt very safe and it was within 3-4 blocks to everything.

Have also stayed at the Hilton Riverside. Typical chain hotel but great views of the River traffic and good location as far as the port goes.

Highly reccomend The Bienville House Hotel. Would rate it a 3-4 star hotel. We paid $79 a night but got a good deal. It is booked solid at $250+ a night much of the time. Call the hotel direct for the best rates.

MexicoBob

We´ve stayed in the Bienville House Hotel in June. We also had a good rate (but a bit higher than the mentioned rate). The location is great. We walked up to Gumbo Shop and the French Market. The lobby looked quite nice. I didn´t see much more as we only stayed for one night. Anyway we had some problems and the people weren´t really nice. The room generally was really nice, a four poster king bed, walk-in closet, big bathroom. But: there was no window!! I´ve never been in an inside hotel room!!! And the aisles were very crooked and it was hard to find your way to the room. I just wondered what about in any case of emergency? O.k., the fire station is just across the street. Maybe this helps. We had some problems which were mainly based on a communication problem between hotels.com and the hotel. We had asked for a double as we were travelling with DD. We ended up with a king and had to pay $25+tax for a rollaway (we got that money back from hotels.com who handled our complaint very good but nothing from the hotel folks). The website of the hotel and hotels.com mentioned a free continental breakfast. This has been cancelled a year ago. Their reply "I´m sorry" nothing else. O.k., I took that one as "now I can do what I always wanted to do" and we went to Cafe du Monde (by the way, hotels.com would have paied for that too but we hadn´t kept the receipt).

Anyway I was quite disappointed how the hotel did handle the situation (even if it might not be their fault but more the one of hotels.com which handled the situation very good). After a transatlantic flight and being up for more than 24 hours this wasn´t really the start of a vacation I had dreamed of and it kept me awake thinking of it.

By the way we had an inside cabin on our cruise and we travelled by rental car after our cruise. When we searched for a motel room the only thing DD (5 yo) said: Mummy, does this room have a window? She didn´t say anything on the boat as she was used to that cabin from our cruise last year.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

The Bienville must have a variety of rooms. The one we stayed in was down your usual straight hall. The room was huge with two very large windows, at least ten feet high, overlooking Decatur Street. There were robes in the closet, fancy soaps in the bathroom, gourmet coffee for the coffeemaker (they left extra of the kind we used after the first night). We could not have asked for anything else.

When we stay there the next time I'll make sure to request a room with a window. Would not have thought that would be an option. They also have a few rooms with balconies.

MexicoBob

"Would not have thought that would be an option."

Me, too!! The room itself was as you described (although I don´t remember any robes but I was too tired and I didn´t look for). After advertising rooms with fancy balconies and view to the inner court a room without a window was quite a shock! This and the way they handeled our complaint/request are the two things I didn´t like. The hotel itself is a great location and the rooms are very nice (if you have a window).

steamboats

My hotel of choice in the Quarter is Le Richelieu at the corner of Chartres and Barracks. I've stayed at the Bienville House and I much prefer the Le Richelieu. It also comes highly rated by a certain steamboat captain and resident of the Quarter that both Steamboats and I know!

My hotel of choice in the Quarter is Le Richelieu at the corner of Chartres and Barracks. I've stayed at the Bienville House and I much prefer the Le Richelieu. It also comes highly rated by a certain steamboat captain and resident of the Quarter that both Steamboats and I know!

Calliope

How is the area to walk from / to the main sights? I know that some areas can be very rough. Since this will be our first trip to NOLA I would like to be comfortable strolling through the scenic areas and returning to the hotel. As we normally are not out past midnight, this may not be as big of a concern. In any case we have an opportunity to stay on Poydras near St Charles or the Le Richelieu. Just not sure what would be a better / safer area. Please advise of any issues you may have seen. Also please advise on your transportation to / from airport and pier.

Le Richelieu appears to be a very nice hotel and I am booked with them. I simply have concerns since my DW can have some trouble on longer walks.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Pitch

The Le Richelieu is on Chartres and Barracks, and it is a quiet part of the Quarter. I have never had any problems walking along Chartres at night, but I have bees advised by locals to walk on the side of any street in the Quarter that does not have the cars parked along it. The Le Richelieu also has a United Taxi stand in front of the office, so getting a taxi is not a problem.

I'm not sure where the other hotel you mentioned is on Poydras, but generally speaking Poydras is more of a business area and several blocks away from the Quarter. I'd be a bit leery walking from the Quarter over to Poydras St. after dark.

New Orleans is a fun town, but you need to keep your wits about you. Don't ever stop for a shoe shine, never bet with anyone that they can tell you where you got your shoes, or any similar scam. The best thing to do is keep focused and walking. That said, Laissez bon temps rouler!

The Le Richelieu is on Chartres and Barracks, and it is a quiet part of the Quarter. I have never had any problems walking along Chartres at night, but I have bees advised by locals to walk on the side of any street in the Quarter that does not have the cars parked along it. The Le Richelieu also has a United Taxi stand in front of the office, so getting a taxi is not a problem.

I'm not sure where the other hotel you mentioned is on Poydras, but generally speaking Poydras is more of a business area and several blocks away from the Quarter. I'd be a bit leery walking from the Quarter over to Poydras St. after dark.

New Orleans is a fun town, but you need to keep your wits about you. Don't ever stop for a shoe shine, never bet with anyone that they can tell you where you got your shoes, or any similar scam. The best thing to do is keep focused and walking. That said, Laissez bon temps rouler!

Thanks for the words of wisdom

I Thought Podryas hotel might be closer to the Port but safety is my main concern. So if Le Richelieu is close to the fun and tourist areas and still far enough away to be quiet and restfull, then that's for me.

Still interested in suggested transport from Airport and to pier as it relates to Le Richelieu.

Thanks again

Pitch

Hello,

Just adding my little experience to the pot!

We stayed at the Villa Convento in the French Quarter prior to our cruise and it was both charming and comfortable. A bit antique old and the staff did all they could to make our stay comfortable and would go back in a minute. Cost was $99 per night. With very fresh and warm croissants and coffee, juice in the courtyard in the am! We met a group of Red Hat ladies one am and it was truly delightful. This was the first week of Nov in 2005!

On our return from that same cruise we elected to stay at the Grenoble House also in the French Quarter. This place was also very charming and clean! The staff, tho limited was very cordial and kind and we felt very cared for and safe. Again we were treated to a wonderful array of croissants and pastries with juice and hot coffee that we could take out to the beautiful courtyard and enjoy! Each day we would stop off at the front desk and say "Hello" and see what might be fun to explore in the town as the staff was very congenial to sharing inside info! When it was time to leave they helped with the bags and with the rental vehicle and off we went like we were leaving home. I cried. They hugged us and invited us to return; which is just what we are doing this coming November!

Each room at the Grenoble House was arrayed in antiques and warm home feeling of the south. The cost here was also a very decent one and they are definitely aware of each client they rent to and they do all they can do to make it safe for you and their property. They have both rooms and suites! This year we opted out for a suite as we really enjoyed it last year. We spead out.. and felt unclustered for just a bit prior to the travel home.

So for us, we enjoyed the 2 hotels we have stayed in and the staff we had to deal with were very pleasant and helpful and the cost was low allowing for all the wonderful attributes we enjoyed.

Still interested in suggested transport from Airport and to pier as it relates to Le Richelieu.

I'm from N.O., born and raised in the Quarter. LeRichelieu is a wonderful hotel. My DD lives in the Quarter and had a small apt. fire Christmas Day, so we spent two nights at LeRichelieu. It's located in the residential area of the Quarter, so it's much quieter there.

From the airport to the Quarter via taxi will be $28 for two, and from the hotel to the port will be $7pp, plus $1 gas surcharge.:)

I'm from N.O., born and raised in the Quarter. LeRichelieu is a wonderful hotel. My DD lives in the Quarter and had a small apt. fire Christmas Day, so we spent two nights at LeRichelieu. It's located in the residential area of the Quarter, so it's much quieter there.

From the airport to the Quarter via taxi will be $28 for two, and from the hotel to the port will be $7pp, plus $1 gas surcharge.:)

Thanks again for your help

It is always a challenge to find a place in a city you have never visited. Glad to hear we made a good choice. If a local would stay there it must be fine.

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply

Pitch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

As I will be in NOLA in early November I am concerned that I may have to make other accom's due to the storm. Any feedback on this truly devastating situation in NOLA!????

I wrote a letter of prayer to the owners of our hotel and continue to hold them up in prayer in hopes that they fared well and are safe.

:confused:

Archived