Power Outlets

This may be a silly question, but I am gonna ask it anyway!! :p Are the outlets on Royal Caribbean ships (Liberty of the Seas) the same as those used in Canada/US? Are any located in the bathroom or close to a mirror for convenience? Pictures would be wonderful but as long as my question is answered, I'm good to go!! :) Thanks!!

Yes, they are regular US 110 outlets. There were only two near the desk and one in the bathroom that indicates it is to be used by a shaver only. However, it was a regular 110 outlet as well and could also be used for a hair dryer or curling iron.

Hope this helps!

Most ships will also have 220v outlets in the cabin. These are European round pin outlets, and you can get travel adapters at most stores. Electronics (laptops, phones, cameras) GENERALLY will charge on 100-220v, so with a travel adapter, you can charge these items using the 220v outlet, and leave the 110v outlets free for things that use US power only (hair dryers, curlers, etc). I really wouldn't recommend using the razor outlet for a dryer or curler, it may pop the breaker for several cabins, or overheat the light fixture it is mounted in.

Most ships will also have 220v outlets in the cabin. These are European round pin outlets, and you can get travel adapters at most stores. Electronics (laptops, phones, cameras) GENERALLY will charge on 100-220v, so with a travel adapter, you can charge these items using the 220v outlet, and leave the 110v outlets free for things that use US power only (hair dryers, curlers, etc). I really wouldn't recommend using the razor outlet for a dryer or curler, it may pop the breaker for several cabins, or overheat the light fixture it is mounted in.

Question? Is the electric 60Hz or 50Hz, and is it well regulated.

People have talke about using electric clocks , and they don't keep the time well, leading me to believe it may just be 50Hz.

Ah sorry, didnt know this about the "appliances" that create heat, overheating, but makes sense. Yes, I did notice the round Euro outlets as well.

I found I didnt need use the outlets much at all, remember you can also take a power strip if you need additional outlets.

This may be a silly question, but I am gonna ask it anyway!! :p Are the outlets on Royal Caribbean ships (Liberty of the Seas) the same as those used in Canada/US? Are any located in the bathroom or close to a mirror for convenience? Pictures would be wonderful but as long as my question is answered, I'm good to go!! :) Thanks!!
From the website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=320

People have talke about using electric clocks , and they don't keep the time well, leading me to believe it may just be 50Hz.

No, its 60Hz. If it were 50Hz, you would gain 10 minutes an hour. The problem with electric clocks is that the power may vary between 59.5 to 60.5 Hz, so your clock gains a couple of minutes a day. Ship's clocks are driven by a master clock on the bridge, which is either updated from satellite, or by the bridge officer once a day. The varying power load during the day (motors starting/stopping, starting thrusters, etc) tends to cause the generators to fluctuate slightly. Your local power utility does the same thing, but power consumers are much smaller in comparison to the generating grid than on ships.

• 4 years later...
On 3/25/2014 at 2:01 PM, chengkp75 said:

No, its 60Hz. If it were 50Hz, you would gain 10 minutes an hour. The problem with electric clocks is that the power may vary between 59.5 to 60.5 Hz, so your clock gains a couple of minutes a day. Ship's clocks are driven by a master clock on the bridge, which is either updated from satellite, or by the bridge officer once a day. The varying power load during the day (motors starting/stopping, starting thrusters, etc) tends to cause the generators to fluctuate slightly. Your local power utility does the same thing, but power consumers are much smaller in comparison to the generating grid than on ships.

I BROUGHT MY VOLTMETER AND FREQUENCY METER WITH ME ONBOARD AND ALREADY TESTED ON EACH OUTLETS.

230V at 60Hz via The ANTHEM OF THE SEAS.

46F39399-51EC-4F20-AAF4-85456AD023A0.jpeg

F44309A0-0A43-4F0B-A5E1-B3A5D9C218D5.jpeg

D4B91F26-BEB1-46D6-8E8D-8611589183AE.jpeg

B968DB0A-9537-4863-898B-F114E19FB347.jpeg

On 3/25/2014 at 12:41 PM, Jillbus said:

Ah sorry, didnt know this about the "appliances" that create heat, overheating, but makes sense. Yes, I did notice the round Euro outlets as well.

I found I didnt need use the outlets much at all, remember you can also take a power strip if you need additional outlets.

Power strips are not allowed on board as they are a fire hazard, particularly if they have surge protection. They will be confiscated by security.

On 3/25/2014 at 12:58 PM, Jillbus said:

Yes, they are regular US 110 outlets. There were only two near the desk and one in the bathroom that indicates it is to be used by a shaver only. However, it was a regular 110 outlet as well and could also be used for a hair dryer or curling iron.

Hope this helps!

No.  Shaver outlets are limited to 200 milliamps ( 0.2 amps).

Hair dryers, even small ones draw about 10 amps.  Curling irons are similar.

On 3/25/2014 at 1:36 PM, mo&fran said:

Easy solution.  Battery operated clock. 😄