Cruising with a 16 month old, any helpful tips?

willoughbyclan

We cruised with our son at 14 months and it was pretty good. My advice is bring a good amount of snacks he likes (our son barely ate anything on the ship, even things he normally liked at home), more diapers than you think you will need, scented diaper sacks, all meds even if you think you won't need them, small blanket, lovey, toys, books, crayons, sunscreen (we forgot it and it was $16 in port!), umbrella type stroller. Lots of good advice on here.

The link someone just posted about the Freedom Class Royal ships is a good resource. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014807

I have cruised with a toddler and it is a lot of work. If there is babysitting offered- like on Royal and Celebrity.. that would be my advice.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I am on a cruise in July. My daughter will be 17 months old. Does anyone know s about pool regulation on Carnival Cruise?

As answered on your other thread, Carnival has no pool options for anyone in diapers. It's a CDC regulation. Only Disney and Royal Caribbean Oasis and Freedom class ships have baby splash zones.

Taken 3 cruises with my twins! At 1,2,3 years old! Here are some things that helped me.

Call ahead they do have baby food avail. You can preorder and have it delivered to your room for free.

Ask your room attendant for a hazard bag for diapers.

Before boarding the cruise stop at The store and buy a box of diapers, and water, formula. Then check it in and they will deliver it to your room.

You will use more baby wipes than you can imagine!

Ziplock bags for taking food out of the buffet for baby or for putting soiled clothes in until you can wash.

Measure out 1 load of laundry soap and put in ziplock bags (double seal)

At least 3 washes for a week for soiled clothes (mostly for stains)

Baby pool ( blow up) for deck

They supply pack in play but you need to bring baby blanket

White noise such as ocean sound that you can sleep with, when sleeping or naptime it helps muffle when captain speaks in speaker (so annoying) don't nap baby when first boarding...alarms for drills and captain speak constantly!

Get friendly with your waitstaff! They will prep food, get you water, and disinfect high chairs, bottles for the baby.

Use the basketball courts for baby running, crawling. It's caged in and fun to let them play with balls. ( not fun on windy days)

Also if you have a crawler the nightclubs are usually empty in the day.

If walking-bring a harness

Follow the music..my babies always loved watching the bands!

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My son was 16 months old when we cruised his first time. In lieu of the blow up baby pool we opted for a blow-up bathtub instead. It was the perfect size to take with us to the pool area for him to splash around in since he couldn't swim and doubled as a bath tub at night. It fit perfectly in the shower and lent some familiarity as we could do our nightly routine.

Get a balcony if you can afford it. It was nice having a play area outside if he got a little stir crazy.

We also kept some small boxes of milk and fruit from the buffet in our room at all times for the quick snack. We also brought ziplock bags and would keep some chips or crackers from room service fresh for snacks as well. We brought some snacks on board but not a lot so having some quick snack options handy was nice.

Royal has a toy check-out service on most ships too.

We also brought his noise machine for sleeping. Enabled us to be able to watch a little TV during nap/bedtimes.

Have fun!

~Lisa