Strange E-Mail From Celebrity ???

curtdesilets

We are sailing Century this week and we got this e-mail message, but it was from an email address that did not have Celebrity in the domain name. The email address was some very strange thing and did not look like it was from Celebrity.

It seems like a spam or hoax, especially the part about "clicking here".

Have any of you ever got one of these from an odd e-mail addrss, and should I or should I not acknowledge receipt?

Here is what it looked like:

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Celebrity Century. Please be advised that some travel documents state the Embarkation is from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM, this window is for check in. Embarkation will commence once CBP finishes their clearance procedures. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Edited by curtdesilets
clarification

We are sailing Century this week and we got this e-mail message, but it was from an email address that did not have Celebrity in the domain name. The email address was some very strange thing and did not look like it was from Celebrity.

It seems like a spam or hoax, especially the part about "clicking here".

Have any of you ever got one of these from an odd e-mail addrss, and should I or should I not acknowledge receipt?

Here is what it looked like:

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Celebrity Century. Please be advised that some travel documents state the Embarkation is from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM, this window is for check in. Embarkation will commence once CBP finishes their clearance procedures. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I just received the same message via an automated phone call, and it asked me to "press 1 to acknowledge receiving the message." My take was they're trying to cover themselves for possible CBP delays that may be beyond their control.

Edited by ngaspar

I've never received an email from Celebrity asking me to confirm receipt. Can't think why they would do that simply for embarkation times.

I'd never, ever click a link if I was at all unsure about where the email had come from. If it is anything suspect, once you've clicked there is no going back.

Why not post on your roll call and see if anyone else has received this? I think I'd probably drop Celebrity an email to, and let them know.

Good luck (and have a great cruise)

Lou

I've never received an email from Celebrity asking me to confirm receipt. Can't think why they would do that simply for embarkation times.

I'd never, ever click a link if I was at all unsure about where the email had come from. If it is anything suspect, once you've clicked there is no going back.

Why not post on your roll call and see if anyone else has received this? I think I'd probably drop Celebrity an email to, and let them know.

Good luck (and have a great cruise)

Lou

I will post this on the roll call.

I got this call AND text message today for my April 12, 2014 Pacific Coastal cruise. It was weird - the call came from 111111 and was an automated voice. During the call, I recieved five texts all at once that were part of the total message. Very weird, but I got the message and wont forget! lol

I got this call AND text message today for my April 12, 2014 Pacific Coastal cruise. It was weird - the call came from 111111 and was an automated voice. During the call, I recieved five texts all at once that were part of the total message. Very weird, but I got the message and wont forget! lol

The actual message sounds legitimate. It is odd though.

The actual message sounds legitimate. It is odd though.

They outsourch quite a bit of this kinda stuff.

11111111 as the number calling, let it go to voice mail, then received a text with the actual information requesting, it seemed legit and didn't ask anything personal just to reply YES if you received the information, Seemed to updating a possible misprint on embarkation information

I actually found it quite annoying as I was in a meeting and received two calls, two texts, and an email within a half hour of each being sent. They kept coming until I had a chance to confirm receipt.

I was aboard Azamara Journey last month--and was also scheduled to sail on the next cruise out of Shanghai on 3 March--when the ship's port propeller was damaged by debris as we arrived in Tokyo... The ship needed to be taken to dry dock for repairs so the cruise then in progress was terminated two days early [we sailed to Osaka on one prop--arriving twenty hours late--and were flown from there to Shanghai] and the two week cruise scheduled to start in Shanghai on 3 March was fully cancelled...

I guess that Azamara couldn't tell who of us were back-to-back guests on both sailings [there were 22 of us] as I got two e-mails from them--advising of the 3 March cancellation and requesting confirmation of receipt--within less than ninety minutes... That's how I learned that the next cruise had been cancelled and ironically, the ship's officers--I told the Hotel Director--hadn't yet received confirmation from Miami [they were looking for dry dock space; ultimately the ship went to South Korea after finding no available space at Osaka/nearby Japan] that the next cruise had been officially cancelled... The Captain made an announcement relative to cancellation of the 3 March sailing seven hours later... While those of us who were already aboard innately knew of the possibility the next cruise wouldn't materialize and thought the communication style/sequence was haphazard/impersonal, the e-mail blast did prevent a large number of those who expected to board in Shanghai from traveling to China unnecessarily... Under the circumstances and with just days to spare, Azamara's request for receipt confirmation was understandable...

In your case, I think Celebrity is just trying to give you the courtesy of knowing in advance that boarding for your cruise is apt to be delayed by inspections--I've had the same experience without advance notice; the terminal at Port Everglades was mayhem during the interim--and trying to ward off complaints from those who arrive with the expectation of boarding early...

Enjoy your cruise! The good news is that it appears that you're going!

I received the same - phone call from "111111", the texts and the e-mail. Several on our roll call received the same, so guess it's legit!!:)

If the message was from Everbridge they are a contract mass notification company. They use voice, email, and text notifications. We've received notifications from them in the past regarding Royal Caribbean cruises.

Edited by Big_G

If the message was from Everbridge they are a contract mass notification company. They use voice, email, and text notifications. We've received notifications from them in the past regarding Royal Caribbean cruises.

Thanks. I think this totally clears it up.

Here is the email address from the e-blast I got:

Celebrity Cruises Express Notification Alerts <conf-448135526@den2.everbridge.net>

You can now understand my hesitation in clicking their link.

You Canadians really have a quirky sense of humor (humour). Thanks for the laugh!

Eh....with the politicians we've got, we have to have a good sense of humo(u)r......It's also known as ''sanity preservation techniques''....

Cheeers