Flight Day Of...

rick&james

AMERICAN has a NonStop Flight From Nashville to Miami for 128 pp which is a great deal the Flight is 600am-900am but just nervous have never done day of cruise on any of my 23 cruises should I go for it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I honestly wouldn't trust it. We usually fly in the day before. Even then we have had a flight canceled and ended up driving all day to get to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I'd rather book a day before and be sure you can get there in time to board, especially if you're traveling during the winter. Ice and snow can cause all sorts of delays. The only time we flew in the day of a flight was our Baltic cruise. I was leery, but because we were scheduled to arrive in London at 6:30 a.m. on the day of embarkation, I was hopeful. We made it in plenty of time. But we always purchase trip insurance too. Even so, getting your money back doesn't make up for missing a vacation you'd long planned for. If you're a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy....maybe. If you're a planner, I say better to arrive the day before and avoid mishaps.

There's always that "what if" scenario that could potentially crop up, but with it being early and non-stop, I'd say your risk is low. You can learn more about your particular flights on time performance by looking it up at flightstats.com

AMERICAN has a NonStop Flight From Nashville to Miami for 128 pp which is a great deal the Flight is 600am-900am but just nervous have never done day of cruise on any of my 23 cruises should I go for it ?

That is a great deal for American especially. I do direct day-of flights for about half of my cruises, but it is risky. I've been lucky and never been delayed. And I only do direct flights. Miami's airport is kind of confusing since they re-did it, so head's up. When are you cruising?

As an Airline Pilot, and knowing everything that can go wrong, I would never, never, EVER fly on the day of departure. Even an early morning departure wouldn't give me peace of mind. There's a list of thing that can inherently go wrong just because it's the first flight out.

Trust me, it's been more than once when I've had crying passengers because they were not going to make their cruise. It's an expensive lesson to learn.

If I were going to fly same day, that is the only way I would do it.

I won't fly same day for a few reasons. 1) I sleep horrible before a flight, especially if I have to wake up at 3 am to catch my flight. Embarkation day would be a waste. 2) I have zero nonstop flights to Fl and any flight that would get me there before the ship sails has an uncomfortably short layover. 3) I would be a stressed out mess until I made it to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We flew from WI to NY in January. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:15 and we should have been in NY at around 11:00. We were late leaving/arriving because of ice and even with delays, we had the Carnival shuttle booked. They were there waiting for us and we made it onboard before 12:30 and with FTTF walked right to our room and dropped off our luggage and went to lunch.

I would not let others get you so uptight about missing the ship. You have plenty of time leaving that early. It will save you on that extra hotel/food cost.

I have now flown in 2 times day of cruise of my 5 to date. No problems either time. The problem was both cruises were 5 day cruises that left on Sat. I have to work Friday and there is no way I would be able to catch the latest flight on Friday. I always made it in by 10 or so for each cruise!

Now, my cruise for Oct, same deal it leaves on Sat. I like to fly Southwest and they have 2 flights, 610 in at 12 and 650 in at 1225. One is a layober in Baltimore and the other in Atlanta. Not sure what I am going to do there. But I expect to be at the port before 2.A bit later then usual of course. I may look into another airline to fly out but I know I would spend twice as much. Who knows, I might even ask to see if I can work early on that Friday and leave early to make the last flight out. Then again I could also miss that flight. Oh the decisions!!!

But overall, I have not had a problem. Normally its coming home where there is a problem! :eek:

There is always a risk, regardless of what you do. Insurance is a peace of mind for what most likely will not happen. Same with leaving a day early. You name it, someone will plant worries into your head. So do what you are comfortable with, and don't ask on a board because you will only get the negatives:cool:

I would, it arrives early enough and is non stop. I have flown into Miami from NY about 20 times and haven't had a problem, usually enjoying lunch on the Lido by noon. I also use 1 piece of carry on luggage, so my bag won't get lost and I won't have an hours wait at the carousel. Most cruisers fly in the day of the cruise, contrary to CC "conventional wisdom".

Emphasizing this point.

WHY would anyone want to start a vacation with a stressful situation when you can avoid it?

Don't assume that everyone would be stressed in that situation. I've flown into the port city day before, day of, and to many other destinations "day of". Probably 98% of the time, I've arrived in time for the planned event/cruise/connection, etc. Yes, there have been a small number of times when things went wrong. It's never been the end of the world, and we've always been able to adjust. For me it adds to the adventure, not to the stress. It's all in your perspective!!! :D

AMERICAN has a NonStop Flight From Nashville to Miami for 128 pp which is a great deal the Flight is 600am-900am

but just nervous have never done day of cruise on any of my 23 cruises should I go for it ?

Hi :)

My wife and I are entering our 31st year of cruising. We have never

taken a flight the day of a voyage.

With all of the planning and $ $ $ $ involved concerning a cruise,

it is certainly not worth the risk.

When in doubt, don't...

:)

This Cruise is last minute leaving April 20th and there is another non stop leaving at 10 am and 5 other flights leaving and Arriving before 1pm that have connections

It's higher the day before and because it's last minute cruise April 20th unless its after 7pm I can't do the flight...

That flight probably is the same price the day before.