How formal are formal nights on a TA

Gracie115

It is not the price of checking an extra bag.

It is the nuisance of having to pack and unpack and repack and haul around all that unnecessary stuff.

I would not be willing to do it even if they paid me $100 each way to bring along an extra bag. :D

We have found through the years that the more we travel, the less we want to pack to take along.

We simply find trips more enjoyable when we travel light and unencumbered, and have come to realize that most of the stuff we used to pack and schlep around with us is really not wanted or needed at all.

I wouldn't either, I was just answering the question. Most of our Europe trips involve a car...there's not many that would hold three suitcases and two carry ons in the trunk and you never want to have luggage showing.

I think people are more dressed up on a Transatlantic than on a Caribbean cruise. We always factor in the cost of luggage with the cruise cost when flying to/from the ship. We bring one extra piece just for our formal wear, and my wife gets to stuff extra shoes & purses in there.

It's not the cost of the luggage that gets my goat, it's the pain of having to handle an extra bag. We're on a TA in April and I know my kwife is going to want to dress well. So do I but at what level of difficulty?

I 100% agree about less luggage is best. I have travelled lots across Europe and I made the mistake only once of taking 2 suitcases....it was very difficult. I am going on an 17 night repositioning cruise....Hawaii to Sydney and taking one 26 inch case with me. Careful packing is all that is needed. For formal night I will be wearing a wrap dress which rolls up to nothing and sandals. My husband will take a sports coat and nice pants. We will be absolutely fine for formal night.

Very much looking forward to my cruise.

My husband and I personally love formal nights and don't find packing gowns and tuxedos takes up that much room. It's not like we didn't have to pack clothing for each evening anyways.

That being said, I must say that I never really pay that much attention to what anyone else is wearing, and if someone wore the same black pants or skirt and a suitable top or jacket all three formal nights, I'd certainly never notice. The on-board laundry service makes life so much easier.

I have, however, noticed how horrible it is to drag a lot of luggage through cities like Venice. On our last two week Med cruise, we limited ourselves to sharing one suitcase and each taking a carry-on, and I must say getting around Venice on that trip was much better than the previous trip where we each had a large suitcase, shared a large garmet bag, and each had a carry-on.

Rest assured that if you repeat outfits on-board, no one is going to notice or care.

Hi Gracie, Make it easy. The men can carry a nice suit or rent the tux. 3 formal nights, 1st is actualy formal, then as the week progresses, if you have a tux you change ties or cumberbunds for 2nd night. A jacket and tie work for 3rd. Same with a nice suite, just change the tie and your good. It is one suite and a shirt with tie in suite case. The laundry does an excellent job on shirts and just have the suite or tux refreshed / steamed. I bring my tux and simply change the vest or no vest, laundry does the rest. I also carry one jacket and button downs. You have formal, country club and casual. Formal Tux or suite, Country club Jacket Y/N your choice, Casual no jacket. Bottom line people pack too much, use the laundry service.

You do not have to go to the bilge to eat on FORMAL NIGHTS....... if not dress to the nines........

Just look nicer and what is conformable to you or who every.

Having said that, on the Equinox TA next month I will only bring a sport coat(I do try to no look totally our of place LOL) and one pair of blake dress pants and two designer T shirt for under the sports coat, no tie ever.

However after the cruise, we have 10 days in Spain, and then 14 days in France planned so packing is a real issue. LESS is BETTER for us

I have, however, noticed how horrible it is to drag a lot of luggage through cities like Venice. On our last two week Med cruise, we limited ourselves to sharing one suitcase and each taking a carry-on, and I must say getting around Venice on that trip was much better than the previous trip where we each had a large suitcase, shared a large garmet bag, and each had a carry-on. .

THIS is what it's all about for us. We will carry enough to show up "decently" for a formal night, but we are packing so that we have one suitcase and a carryon each....we will be gone for almost 25 days total so less is definitely more for us.

But I appreciate all the suggestions, have used some of them on other cruises(the tuxedo rental for DH) I just had no idea what to expect of these evenings on a TA, now I know they are pretty much like other cruises and we will be prepare accordingly. My BIL will be okay with a jacket and nice slacks and that's what I wanted to know in the 1st place!!!