Oceania connect@sea

aacruise

you might get preferential bandwidth, thus better call quality if you use connect@sea

Been trying to find out if that's true. Nobody here seems to know. Searching on the net hasn't done any good so far.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to bump this thread to hear about your experience, and to also clarify based on what I have learned.

The application is designed my MTN, who also is the market leader in cruise ship onboard telecommunications. They have designed this application to be used in conjunction with the onboard WiFi, and to use less bandwidth than traditional VoIP. Plus, it will not be blocked like some lines do with Skype. However, this is all I have learned so would like to hear some more responses.

OceanPhone Mobile is a smartphone application (app) developed for the maritime industry that provides a simple, cost-effective alternative for crew members, and their family and friends, to stay connected while crews are working at sea for months at a time. OceanPhone Mobile utilizes a Wi-Fi network to make ship-to-shore, shore-to-ship and intraship calls; to send messages through the application; and to receive voicemail. NOTE: OceanPhone Mobile should be used by both parties connecting in order to get the lowest calling rates.

App is free...minutes are not.

I tried to use the app on the Islands & Incas cruise, but had trouble with my android tablet :mad:. Therefore never got the chance to use the app and just checked email using the ships computers.

The cost for using the connect@sea voice app was $0.99 minute. As far as I know it was not part of the internet package

I am very confused. Will be sailing Insignia in Sept and have the free internet package. If I download the free connect@sea app onto my android tablet, do I get to make my calls with no per-minute fee or do I get charged $0.99 per minute for the calls? Any clarification would be appreciated for this old brain of mine!

Donna

I am very confused. Will be sailing Insignia in Sept and have the free internet package. If I download the free connect@sea app onto my android tablet' date=' do I get to make my calls with no per-minute fee or do I get charged $0.99 per minute for the calls? Any clarification would be appreciated for this old brain of mine!

Donna[/quote']

If you download the free App and have free Internet on the ship then there would be no per minute cost.

Remember though, that the Internet Plan on the Ship covers the use of only one device per cabin at any one time.

You WILL have to sign on using an Internet password that you set up on the ship.

Edited by JimandStan

Only if you call another device running the app.. otherwise land connect charges apply.

So, it's really not a lot different than Skype or any of the myriad of other VOIP apps out there??

The only possible benefit I can think of is that this App is from MTN who is the internet provider on board so unlikely this app would be blocked like when other bandwidth hogging apps are used and blocked.

It really is meant to be an "in-house" sort of VOIP.

I loaded it to investigate and to use it as a 'civilian' you have to buy a minute plan on the app...separate from any minute plan for connectivity onboard

http://www.mtnsat.com/mtn-news/delivers-oceanphone-mobile-industry-first-calling-app-maritime-crew

It appears that the only 'free' component is when both are "on-network" and both devices are running the app

Edited by computerworks

Agree Ron,

From reviewing the site, appears this App is mainly designed for crew who have cheap internet access to talk to others on board or onboard other ships at sea as well as family.

Site where you buy plans specifies Crew, friends, and family. Don't believe it is intended for the average passenger. Saying that, no reason a passenger can't buy a plan however, unlike Skype and other VOIPs designed for consumer use appears the App can only be used on board the ship or where MTN internet is available.

Remember, if you don't have included internet, you still have to pay for the internet in addition to any costs for the phone call.

Apparently nobody here has information to indicate that connect@sea traffic is given any sort of wifi bandwith priority over other uses. Assuming that no priority is given, there appears to be absolutely no reason to pay $.99 per minute to use connect@sea, as opposed to paying $.00 per minute to use a number of other voip phone apps. (Per minute charges beyond whatever, if anything, one pays for onboard wifi.) Anybody disagree?

• 7 months later...

We recently sailed on NCL BREAKAWAY over new year and they had an APP which enabled you to call and text other users for a fee of $6.99 per phone per voyage. The texting worked ok but not the calling. Paying $0.99 per minute seems a bit steep. Wonder if this APP is the same as NCL as they are part of same group now. Shame there is no real info. All good for travelers who bag free internet packages but most of us not so lucky. Any comments?????:confused:

We did an NCL TA 5 years ago and noticed that the internet service was faster and cheaper than on Oceania. (I'm not talking about phone, just internet.)

But so far I haven't seen any announcements about changes in rates or speed between the lines. That may happen down the line, but it doesn't appear to have happened YET!

Mura