Muster Drills

Dr Dave

Hi everyone!

Over the last several Carnival cruises we've been on, the protocol for the muster drill has varied. On one ship, we assembled in the muster station, and then proceeded to the lifeboat loading areas. On another, we were directed to proceed to the specific lifeboat loading area. Finally, on the most recent cruise, we just went to the muster station. Is the drill ship specific in terms of what protocol it utilizes, is is departure port specific, or does Carnival vary the protocols?

we were on a b2b on the sensation last year. a 3 day and then the 4 day.

on the 3 day we went to the main theater and had the drill. we stayed in the theater until the drill was over.:)

on the next cruise, the 4 day, we met in the theater and then went to the life boat stations.

the next day I saw an officer and asked why the drills were different.:)

he said a new safety officer came on board and that he did things different.

the safety officer has the say on how the drills are run!!:) it sounded good to me.:)

In January on the Dream our group was in the dining room... I thought it was kinda nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Were light refreshments served? Doesn't sound like an exercise in safety of life at sea to me.

Were light refreshments served? Doesn't sound like an exercise in safety of life at sea to me.

No. No food is served. And contrary to how it may sound, this is a far more effective way of doing the muster drill than having everyone stand outside. When you stand outside for the drill, the only people who can see a thing are those in the very front row. The people in the back 4 or 5 rows have no clue how to put on a life jacket, as they can only see a person's back. In the dining room or theater (on Dream class ships), everyone can see at least one of the workers that are all demonstrating how to put on a lifejacket.

Personally, I don't like having the muster in the theater. On the Dream, the theater was packed. People talked all the way through the drill. When it was over, we were released without going to the lifeboats. My first thought was that if there were indeed an emergency, half of the people that were there wouldn't have a clue of where to go or what to do. I'd ten times rather stand out in the heat for a hour if needed so that at least everybody would know what to do.

The muster locations are fixed, and specified on the station bill that is approved by class and the flag state. As noted, some safety officers/Captains can add detail to a drill, but the location of muster is fixed.

Some ships do mustering out on deck under the boats. Some do it at large inside venues because the areas on deck are too small for boat preparation and also mustering at the same time. Some ships do a combination of both. Passengers generally prefer the indoors one, as there is A/C and less noise distraction to the presentation. It is, in my opinion, a better way if the ship is set up for it, as you can muster the passengers in an emergency, and keep them in accountability for an extended time, if need be, while keeping them out of the weather and comfortable.