Second Thoughts - TA Escape Questions

gooselover

I WAS so excited about booking this, got a good price for an aft cabin and have always wanted to do a TA from England. I wanted to arrive a couple days earlier to see London. However, am having second thoughts and here is why.

1. Airfare will be outrageous - correct? We will need air from Tulsa or Dallas to England and then back from Miami.

2. Hotels - WOW - from what I have read on the board - over $300/night????

3. Don't understand the Tube or other forms of transportation

4. Am totally lost on the whole trip - transportation/where to go/where to stay....and

5. Cost factor.

While the cruise itself seems reasonable, I am thinking that we will spend over $3000 in air alone, not to mention transportation and hotels.

So, for you cruises that have done a TA for the first time, did you find it WAY more expensive and how did you learn"get around"?

The way I see it, you don't have 5 obstacles, you have only 2.

1) Economic.

2) Lack of knowledge.

#1 - Traveling to Europe is an expensive endeavor. No one knows your financial situation, but it sounds like the thought of trip is scary to you from this perspective.

#2 - Far more easy to overcome. The internet is an amazing thing.

I think it is more the financial aspect of it. Yes, the internet is a wonderful tool, but still scary "not knowing anything" about how to get around, etc., in England.

But again, even if I knew how to get around, it seems to costly!

1. Airfare will be outrageous - correct? We will need air from Tulsa or Dallas to England and then back from Miami.

4. Am totally lost on the whole trip - transportation/where to go/where to stay....and

5. Cost factor.

So, for you cruises that have done a TA for the first time, did you find it WAY more expensive and how did you learn"get around"?

No doubt about, there's a cost involved in ANY vacation.

Remember, you could stay home and spend the same amount going to Disney World these days as you could spend going to Europe! :eek:

Airfare is expensive. The plane ticket is part of the TOTAL cost of your vacation, whether it's $100 or $1,000! You still have to get there.

Shop around and find the price you are willing to pay and get it out of the way. Otherwise, you wont be going to Europe.

That settled, finding your place around any strange city requires planning, and you have to be willing to invest the time in that. If you don't you'll have an awful time.

There are plenty of alternatives to $300 hotels if you look for them! Have you considered renting an apartment for a few days instead? You can get them for easily half the hotel price, and IMHO, makes for more "local" experience. BUT YOU HAVE TO DO THE RESEARCH!

Subway maps are available online for any city in the world, along with ticket costs and instructions. Print one out and circle the stops you'll need to do your sightseeing.

A simple look at TripAdvisor's "things to do in London" page will rank 1,000's of things to do in order of popularity ratings (Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, London Eye, etc). A good place to start for ideas.

If you want to commit to something (theater show, special dinner, etc.) buy your tickets ahead online and you'll be forced to figure out how to get there! HAHA! A taxi is always a good last resort. Its' what they do for a living!

As with making any purchase, you have to be honest with yourself whether or not you can or cannot afford it. If you can't you probably shouldn't be buying it. Once you answer that, the rest is easy -- especially with the knowledge and info on these boards!

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Yes, air can be daunting! We've done three TA's but it's been a few years since our last and I think air has gotten even worse and so, being retirees on a limited budget, I think our TA days are over! That doesn't stop me from looking longingly at the Serenade of the Seas out of NO next month but unfortunately the airfare back from Barcelona is the stopper.

I always used to look at Bookingbuddy for air but recently someone on these boards mentioned skyscanner and, comparing the two, I did find a better price and schedule with them. It's still not in our budget though...darn!!

We were in London years ago for a couple of nights and I thought the prices were ridiculous then so I can just imagine what your finding today. But just do your homework and you will probably be able to come up with something in your budget. And, on the bright side, at least there won't be a language problem!

Good luck!

Good advice! I DO have the time to plan, prepare, research, etc., since I run my own business from home. It is boiling down to cost. Just did a mock booking for airfare for October 2014 (and I know this isn't until 10/15) and the cost from Tulsa was about $3500. That was just to get to Heathrow. The cost from Miami to Tulsa is about $1000+ total.

With that said, I just don't want to spend over $8000 for this trip which is what I think it was end up costing, if not more. Think I will book Escape or Getaway out of Miami instead.....

We have been on other cruise lines and I am really wanting to try NCL. It's on the bucket list!

I'm a female who only speaks English (I know, shame on me) and have traveled alone to Hong Kong, Italy, France, Amsterdam, Mexico, etc., and I think I always have almost as much fun researching and planning before I go than the actual trip. I said ALMOST. I got major lost in Italy the first time and in Hong Kong, but it was FUN to find my way back. You should just DO IT...you only live once, and what's the worst that can happen? I also think you'll find much better prices for that time of year than you think. I got a one-way ticket from Barcelona once (off season) for only 20,000 American Airlines miles and $320 in taxes and fees.

I WAS so excited about booking this, got a good price for an aft cabin and have always wanted to do a TA from England. I wanted to arrive a couple days earlier to see London. However, am having second thoughts and here is why.

5. Cost factor.

While the cruise itself seems reasonable, I am thinking that we will spend over $3000 in air alone, not to mention transportation and hotels.

I am also a retiree and watch my money. What I did with The Getaway and am doing with The Escape is this: I pay the whole package from Norwegian using their air, hotel and transfers. When my travel agent went to price the air the last time he found that the price from Norwegian was better than what he could do. If you pay the air from Norwegian they met you at the airport and take you to your hotel. I fly the night before and stay one night. The morning of the cruise transportation arrives for the trip to Southampton (about 2 hours south of London) and you arrive in plenty of time for the cruise. Do not know if this will help you at all. This is my plan and I know that it works well. As a solo traveler, I worry more about my safety more than anything than else.

Mandy

When we booked our Med cruise, I was a little intimidated, too! The biggest single help to me was joining our roll call. So many of the posters were "veterans" and shared so much information. There was a lot of hand-holding. You have a lot of time before your cruise, immerse yourself and enjoy the planning. Once you fully commit emotionally, planning is half the fun :) And trust me, once you make the trip, you will wonder what took you so long to make that leap.

Good advice! I DO have the time to plan, prepare, research, etc., since I run my own business from home. It is boiling down to cost. Just did a mock booking for airfare for October 2014 (and I know this isn't until 10/15) and the cost from Tulsa was about $3500. That was just to get to Heathrow. The cost from Miami to Tulsa is about $1000+ total.

With that said, I just don't want to spend over $8000 for this trip which is what I think it was end up costing, if not more. Think I will book Escape or Getaway out of Miami instead.....

We have been on other cruise lines and I am really wanting to try NCL. It's on the bucket list!

As you have the time, try mixing different combinations of flights, thinking outside the proverbial flight box.

Check, for example, driving a couple hours to a larger airport than Tulsa, if there are any, and leaving from there.

How about pricing a roundtrip to NY City, and then a roundtrip from NYC to London on BA??

Maybe a flight to Dallas, Chicago, or Charlotte, and then to London from one of those cities?

(For example --I've been able to get very cheap roundtrips to NYC from Buffalo, and then booking round trip to Paris from there, which saved hundreds of $$$ per ticket over booking it altogether on one ticket from Buffalo!)

Are you willing to drive to Atlanta to save on flights?

Lots more options when you have the luxury of being flexible.

Spending an extra day or 2 in NYC, Atlanta, or Miami each way is not such a bad thing either! :D

Be sure to let us know what you find!

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

My train of thought when it comes to luxuries like vacation travel is if I have to worry from the beginning about finances then it's probably not the time or the best use of my money. It's always good to be realistic about your financial budgets.

There are plenty of vacation and cruise choices that are plenty affordable and a lot more convenient for you.

That's just how I operate but I'm a saver and that's worked out well for me. :D

p.s. London is a city that should be on everyone's "bucket list".

London is a great jumping point for an American to give Europe a try... after all they speak English and are very friendly. Yes, expensive but pre plan and you will be great. We got an online reccomendation for a really nice guy who drives a London cab for tours. He picked us up at the Airport showed us all we wanted to see in London and dropped us at our hotel. We had the next day on our own before we took a train to Paris. Wish we had more time, and would love to go back!!

As an idea... if the air is soooo high would there be another transatlantic back to the states?

All great advice. I did try a mock booking from DFW to LHR and it was higher! But yes, there are plenty of other "options" to try and find airfare from.

I agree, joining the roll call and someone holding my hand is PERFECT! This IS intimidating! I have no problems landing in any airport and getting to the hotel in the US - but all this subway, The Tube, etc., is making me concerned, but I will start to educate myself AND join the roll call when it starts.

As I mentioned, I have always wanted to go to London. You can see by my profile picture, I LOVE Culture Club and especially Boy George (don't laugh). I have always wanted to see his home and possibly him! Thus, my BIGGEST reason for wanting to go on this trip!

My DH thinks I am nuts!

Edited by gooselover

All great advice. I did try a mock booking from DFW to LHR and it was higher! But yes, there are plenty of other "options" to try and find airfare from.

I agree, joining the roll call and someone holding my hand is PERFECT! This IS intimidating! I have no problems landing in any airport and getting to the hotel in the US - but all this subway, The Tube, etc., is making me concerned, but I will start to educate myself AND join the roll call when it starts.

As I mentioned, I have always wanted to go to London. You can see by my profile picture, I LOVE Culture Club and especially Boy George (don't laugh). I have always wanted to see his home and possibly him! Thus, my BIGGEST reason for wanting to go on this trip!

My DH thinks I am nuts!

I have found that doing a multi-city booking is a LOT less than 2 one ways. Tulsa to London, then Miami Tulsa.....check it out!

How many people are you booking for? I'm in Wichita and round trip tickets to MIA in October are usually @ $400 a person...

gooselover,

When calculating expenses to NOT forget to add the cost of travel insurance. I never never go on a cruise without it. You will find lots of different opinions about travel insurance, the value of it and where to buy it. I never worry about because my travel agent has a company that he has used for many years and to me the price is reasonable and worth my peace of mind.

Mandy

I did not check from Tulsa, just Dallas to LHR (on the 26th) and I found $508pp non-stop...one stop was just a few $$'s less. Then Miami back to Dallas was $160pp with one stop, leaving at a time you should be able to make easily if flying back the day you arrive in Miami.

I did not think to look at Tulsa..definitely a stop would be involved though so if driving to catch a direct flight is doable, Dallas would be my choice.

I found these on Skyscanner in case you want to check.

Good luck...wish I were going too!!

Yes, I agree with 3traveler...don't forget insurance. I didn't get it for our first few cruises (I was still invincebale back then!) but after working at a travel agency for a while and seeing a few times where it 'saved the day' for a few clients, I became a believer. We happened to sell Travelguard and it is my choice still but certainly not the only good one out there.

I was very glad to have it last year when I had to cancel a cruise after final payment due to illness and fortunately got my money back.

You can get hotels for a lot less than $300 a night.

I've just done a search and the Premier Inn at County Hall is £333 for three nights (not much more than $150 a night). It is right on the Thames almost opposite the Houses of Parliament. If you become confident about the underground then you can get a lot cheaper if you stay just a little way outside the centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk