Second Thoughts - TA Escape Questions

gooselover

Do your research before you fly off the deep end. 1800flyeurope.com us a great resource for airfare.

Priceline is great for hotels. I visit London frequently and the most I paid for hotel was $150 a night (5 star) the lowest $65.

The Tube is very easy to use. All the signs are in English. ;)

We did the Breakaway back from Southampton in April 2013. We booked about 4 days in London before the flight. I researched hotels, and it is very hard to do and figure out where everything is. We ended up booking a B&B that cancelled our hotel on Monday when we were to arrive on Thursday. Talk about panicked. We ended up finding apartments being used as a hotel in that ended up being very reasonable. We ended up getting the Go Native Stratford East Apartments in Ilford. The train ride was between 20-30 minutes, but we didn't mind it. We bought the London pass and found the tube to be extremely easy and super quick to use and get around. We even took the train out to Windsor one day to see Windsor Castle.

We booked flights on Iceland Air out of Washington Dulles for $395 each. Then our flights back from NY to Dulles were around $70 one way. The hotel ended up being around 450 pounds, so it was extremely affordable. The London pass covered entrance to many sightseeing shops. We ended up with 9 of us going on that trip.

Hi there in Wichita! Just two people - from Tulsa.

I think you did your pricing from MIA back to Tulsa wrong. I did a mock booking for one way for 2 people for November 8th this year and total cost was $482.58. As far as getting to London is concerned try checking back to airline sites, check Tulsa, OKC and Wichita. There is a flight going to London from Wichita with 2 layovers on October 26th this year that was $900 a person, with taxes two people would be $1893.20. So if prices are comparable next year that's $2375.78 for flights. If that sounds reasonable keep the booking and if you have issues finding flights that cheap March or April next year then cancel the sailing.

As far as the cold goes, realize that the Atlantic will be colder and the seas a little choppier so there probable won't be that much lounge time for that cruise. If that's to much of a issue use all that money to book a S9 for you and DH on Escape once it gets to MIA!

Well, we are definitely on board for this TA. I researched more on this board and found flights (for this year of course - just playing) from Tulsa to LHR for $1000 total.

So, now I am more than excited for this cruise!

Well, we are definitely on board for this TA. I researched more on this board and found flights (for this year of course - just playing) from Tulsa to LHR for $1000 total.

So, now I am more than excited for this cruise!

Glad you found something. I was going to say if I could find something cheap out of Wichita you should be able to find something in Tulsa or OKC, that or drive here. Have a great trip!

All of the above advice...is priceless for you! The Tube is a piece of cake, you can take it from the airport to just about anywhere you would like to go, then take the taxi or bus (taxi's are very $). Remember as stated above, English is spoken and everyone is very helpful, no fear with common sense, you will have a great time. Trip advisor is also a great tool for help and advice, and priceless for our many trips around the world.

I WAS so excited about booking this, got a good price for an aft cabin and have always wanted to do a TA from England. I wanted to arrive a couple days earlier to see London. However, am having second thoughts and here is why.

1. Airfare will be outrageous - correct? We will need air from Tulsa or Dallas to England and then back from Miami.

2. Hotels - WOW - from what I have read on the board - over $300/night????

3. Don't understand the Tube or other forms of transportation

4. Am totally lost on the whole trip - transportation/where to go/where to stay....and

5. Cost factor.

While the cruise itself seems reasonable, I am thinking that we will spend over $3000 in air alone, not to mention transportation and hotels.

So, for you cruises that have done a TA for the first time, did you find it WAY more expensive and how did you learn"get around"?

My son and I are booked on the same Escape TA. I'm a single mother of a 10 almost 11 y/o son, he will be 12 by the TA. We did Europe for the first time this past October. I was nervous, but did lots of research (there can be too much research) and made a plan. I started a lot of my research right hear on CC. Used the ports of call board. Learned a lot about hotels in the areas I was staying. London by far was the easiest. The Tube (metro/train/subway) was very easy to navigate. We chose a smaller hotel right near a tube station, which also had lots of fast food and shopping. I was traveling with a kid, so the old familiar Subway or McD's was helpful for a meal or 2. I too am self employed.

Well, we flew from Miami to London, one way. Did some train travel to Paris and Italy and finally cruised the Trans Atlantic back to Miami.

May I suggest you look at a site called 1 800 fly Europe. Some people may be skeptical, but I used them for my one way tickets and so did many other people that were on the TA in October. My one way flight from Miami to London was under $450 each. I checked out Oct 2014 and the price is similar. Hoping 2015 will be the same.

The hotel we stayed in was small, only like 20 rooms, but it was great. Sorry, can't remember the name, but will look it up when it is time for me to book for 2015. This was the more expensive part. I paid about 120 pounds per night. I knew going into it that the rates would be like NYC so planned accordingly. I think the conversion was in the low $200 US per night

Staying in London is so worth it. I did stay 4 nights and am planning the same for this go around. Now to figure out how to get to the ships terminal. Last night I actually google mapped it and looks like public transit is the way to go. Under 2 hours I think.

If you have any other questions, let me know on the roll call and I can try to help you out with some of the info I found last year. London and the Escape are calling your name!

Train from London to Southampton is easy. Just get to Waterloo and it's just over an hour to Southampton. It's then an easy walk to the port (or a short taxi journey if you don't want to carry bags). There are a load of hotels near the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have plenty of time to decide and plan. So I'd hold on to your reservation. You can always cancel penalty free a few months before the cruise.

When I first booked Breakaway I too thought it would be a once in a lifetime pricey experience and rather overwhelming. Later thanks to folks on Cruise Critic who gave me lots of great ideas on how to make the most of the trip by visiting some European cities along the way. Now Escape will be my 4th maiden cruise and adventure in Europe.

I'm hoping NCL will open the 1-Day "Escape from Rotterdam" sailing from Rotterdam, Netherlands to Southampton, England. If that happens, you will be able fly from Miami to Amsterdam starting for about $600 (much less than a flight to London)! Amsterdam is wonderful city and more than its lurid reputation. It's a beautiful city with rich history - Anne Frank House, art museums, canals and architecture, great easy transportation by tram and it's a very walkable city. You then can take the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam and sail the Escape the very first day.

If you have more time on your hands pre-cruise, consider flying into Paris, spend a day or two, and taking the train/flight to Amsterdam, Rotterdam to pick up the Escape or head straight to Southampton. Google Fodors for european itineraries. Paris is very easy to get around. There are multi-language kiosks that sell metro train tickets and you can get from the airport to city and then anywhere in the city for only a few Euros.

Money and language isn't an issue. Amsterdam most everyone speaks English. Paris - As long as you learn the most important French phrases ever starting with "Bon Jour, Bon Soir, Pardonnez-Moi, Excusez-Moi", you'll find Parissiennes friendly and willing to speak English to help out tourists. :p

IcelandAir and Aer Lingus also fly to Europe with free layovers in Reykjavik, Iceland and Dublin, Ireland respectively. However, Amsterdam and Paris are my favorites... so far. Brussels, Zurich, and Venice are on the horizon.

Edited by kylenyc