Garment Bags

We always check them. Last cruise, we had 2 - one of them is a nice Samsonite which looks like a suitcase when folded up - has rollers, etc. The other garment bag was one of those less substantial ones, but still decent - but has no rollers - just a handle, or a shoulder strap. We checked both, and they are designed to keep your clothes "intact". We had no issues except for one of my fav shirts which always wrinkles, but 10 mins in the steamy bathroom when we got into our cabin, and it was fine.

Love mine, and always checked it...however I haven't used it in years because of the new luggage fees. I used to carry a suitcase and my garment bag (for the stuff I didn't want to wrinkle), but I'm not willing to pay the extra bag fee now. So I typically carry a suitcase and a carry-on bag that fits in the overhead. Airlines complain about the space and time it takes for people to store all those carry-on bags, but they've created that monster by charging us to check luggage!

Rant complete now...

(Yup...I LOVE Southwest, but can't always use them.)

Love mine, and always checked it...however I haven't used it in years because of the new luggage fees. I used to carry a suitcase and my garment bag (for the stuff I didn't want to wrinkle), but I'm not willing to pay the extra bag fee now. So I typically carry a suitcase and a carry-on bag that fits in the overhead. Airlines complain about the space and time it takes for people to store all those carry-on bags, but they've created that monster by charging us to check luggage!

Rant complete now...

We're driving to port so the baggage fees don't apply. I'll keep that in mind though if we decide to cruise again and choose to depart from somewhere we must hop on a plane for :)

I used to bring garmet bags all of the time but not any more. I would let some of my clothes hang inside of the garment bag that was hanging in the closet. Most of my recent cruises have been on Allure and Oasis. However on Oasis and Allure the closets are not wide enough for the garnent bags.

Edited by dz9yvr

Ditto to what Toddcan said. We too have two garment bags, one wheeled and one not wheeled, and have never had an issue with them as far as keeping the contents from wrinkling or being mishandled. But we do put dry cleaning bags over each item which really keeps shirts, pants, etc. well pressed inside the garment bag.

Rant complete now...

May I join in on your rant!:D

My DS (18 and away at college) doesn't like to carry-on anything other than his backpack w/his electronics inside. He's learned to beat having to pay for checking his carry on because they've instituted this new system a while back where if you act like you're taking a carry-on onto the plane, they will let you gate-check it for free to save room for others to carry on their stuff. He's no dummy! LOL! Not only does he not have to carry on his suitcase but when he gate-checks it...it comes out before other checked luggage on the luggage conveyor belt. That little smartypants!:)

Edited by mousey

Ditto to what Toddcan said. We too have two garment bags, one wheeled and one not wheeled, and have never had an issue with them as far as keeping the contents from wrinkling or being mishandled. But we do put dry cleaning bags over each item which really keeps shirts, pants, etc. well pressed inside the garment bag.

BBM

Has always worked for me!

Yes, I use a wheeled garment bag, and I check it.

Happy Cruising!