Jewel vs. Pearl

sunfunsun

Here goes my first post on CC so be kind! More to come I assure you.

Hubby and I (ages just north and south of 50, but much younger at heart) are first time cruisers going to Alaska in late Aug. After exhausting research, NCL Jewel and Pearl seem to be our final choices. I think i'm leaning more to Pearl, but saw reviews here saying that ship is not good for AK.

Is there a difference between these ships? Everything looks the same to my amateur eye. Cabin will be mini-suite and costs the same, looks the same, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hi and welcome to CC!

No real difference between the ships, Pearl has Bowling alleys and a rock climbing wall that Jewel doesn't have and some venues on decks 6 and 7 might be in different positions but they are there still. :)

So do your decision based on the itinerary, not on the ship because essentially they are the same (I personally prefer Pearl a bit more ;)).

The two ships are very similar. I'm not sure why people think either isn't good for AK. The Pearl was great for us.

The ships are so similar that I'd base the decision on the itinerary. The Pearl goes to Glacier Bay, which was why we went for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked with Pearl for Alaska in August becuase it has Glacier Bay in the Itin. I don't believe the Jewel had Glacier Bay. This is our first trip to Alaska, and many people suggested a route with Glaceir Bay in it would be the best choice. Of course that is very subjective, what one person loves doesn't matter to the next. For what it is worth, if Glacier Bay is something that might interest you, then there you go!

Have a GREAT trip!

Been to Alaska on both and enjoyed both immensely. As previously stated, ships are very similar (both are in the jewel class). One difference not mentioned is in the thermal suite area of the Spa. Ultimately, I would base my decison on itinerary; do you want to go to Glacier Bay or cruise Sawyer glacier? I would research the itineraries on the Port of call boards of CC and take member reviews of the ship with a grain of salt. reviews. Does it matter which day of the week you wish/can depart based on work or school commitments?

Have been on the Jewel (a few years ago) and will be on the Pearl to Alaska a few weeks from now. We choose our cruises based on the itinerary first, and the ship second. From everything I've read, the ships are very similar, so having liked the Jewel, I'm suspecting we'll like the Pearl, as well.

One thing to look at carefully, though, as you look at itineraries...don't just look at the ports--also look at the port times! Port times vary greatly, so that might also help you choose...! For example, another cruise (not NCL) that we considered also did Glacier Bay--but they did it from about 7-10 am...! We didn't wanna have to get up that early to enjoy the view...! This is vacation, afterall...! :)

The only thing that would make me hesitant about a ship in Alaska is if it doesn't have the Spinnaker Lounge in the front. Reason being, if you are touring Glacier Bay, which is usually several hours, and the weather is bad, that's where you want to be for viewing if you don't have a balcony. If you have a balcony, it shouldn't matter to you. However, both the Jewel and Pearl have the Spinnaker in the front, so that's not even an issue here.

Both ships are great and would be for any cruise. But as others have said, choose by itinerary. This should be the driving force for an Alaskan cruise, and the for the Med as well.

I prefer the Pearl. I haven't been on the Jewel in Alaska, though. Both were great ships, but there was something special about our two Pearl cruises that I didn't get on the Jewel. I'd choose based on itinerary. We enjoyed cruising through Glacier Bay and sitting on our balcony drinking hot cocoa. When it got too cool we went inside for a while and then went back out. For some reason the staff on the Pearl seemed happier (both times) than they have on any other ship. You'll have a great time no matter which ship you choose.

We've been to Alaska on both, the Pearl being the first time. We immediately became addicted to cruising with that trip. They are both excellent, and as others have said, very similar in design. Wish I was on either one right now. I think mini suites are a good choice. The Pearl, being our first cruise ship, has always been our baby since. So I would take her first, plus she goes into Glacier Bay. Here's some pix of a Pearl mini taken a couple of years ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite?sort=2&page=1

The only thing that would make me hesitant about a ship in Alaska is if it doesn't have the Spinnaker Lounge in the front. Reason being, if you are touring Glacier Bay, which is usually several hours, and the weather is bad, that's where you want to be for viewing if you don't have a balcony. If you have a balcony, it shouldn't matter to you. However, both the Jewel and Pearl have the Spinnaker in the front, so that's not even an issue here.

Both ships are great and would be for any cruise. But as others have said, choose by itinerary. This should be the driving force for an Alaskan cruise, and the for the Med as well.

In addition to the spinnaker lounge, if your into spas and the thermal suites, the spa was a fantastic place to be on glacier viewing day. We spent several hours there and the view was fantastic on both ships! At the end of each day, I would literally fall asleep standing up on our balcony looking at the scenerary.

Thank you all for the great info and leading me to a decision..... Pearl it is! Whew, what a burden lifted. Now I have a lot more to learn to make the best of our first cruise. I've read so much of the forums already and will continue because you contributions are priceless.

I'll be in touch.:)

I haven't been on either ship (have Pearl booked for May to Alaska) but I would think the only negative about these two ships for an Alaskan itinerary is no covered pool. My husband loves going in the pool so he's a bit worried about this trip. I've read that it's heated so shouldn't be a big deal.

When picking an Alaskan cruise I'd go for itinerary first. The ship is just how you get there. :)

I haven't been on either ship (have Pearl booked for May to Alaska) but I would think the only negative about these two ships for an Alaskan itinerary is no covered pool. My husband loves going in the pool so he's a bit worried about this trip. I've read that it's heated so shouldn't be a big deal.

When picking an Alaskan cruise I'd go for itinerary first. The ship is just how you get there. :)

It's been my experience pools are small and loaded with people. That is the one thing I find not fun when cruising.

It's been my experience pools are small and loaded with people. That is the one thing I find not fun when cruising.

The pool deck is pretty deserted on an Alaskan cruise. The weather can be frequently drizzly and very cool. The hot tubs do stay busy though.

I have been on both Pearl and Jewel and since they are sister ships, they are pretty much the same ship (other than a few things that people mentioned like the rock climbing wall and bowling alley). They have a few things that are in different places here and there (like for instance the shops), but all in all, it's basically the same ship and laid out pretty much the same with the same decor.

My pictures of the PEARL click HERE.

My pictures of the JEWEL click HERE.

We have been on a Carribean cruise on the Pearl and loved it. We actually chose the JEWEL for Alaska Glacier Bay and the great 9-day itinerary next May, 2015. Can't wait! It's cruising, you can't go wrong :)