An Open Letter to CCL on "Kids Sail Free"

T2C

I don't get it. I priced a 2 person cruise at $2858 FunSelect Rate before taxes, etc. I changed it to 4 people and chose the kids sail free and it's still $2858 before taxes. What am I missing?

The JCPenney analogy was correct. You can have the sale price or you can have the coupon price. You can't combine them...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Was there any place to actually enter rate code PKF?

I called 2 days ago about a cruise that I recently booked (2 Adults, 2 Kids). I have the "Rate Protection" and noticed that the price went down some.... not much but alittle. The lady with Carnival said that she was going to "match the Kids Sail Free Program".... what she told me was "They really don't sail free because we just add their cost onto the Adults Price... minus the taxes and port cost... that is the amount that goes under the kids price"! So, I agree....Kids do NOT sail free. FREE is FREE not Free= we raise the price for the parents!

Would sort of be like... you have a $25.00 coupon for your "meal" at a restaurant and they take that $25.00 and add it to the cost of your "drink" because thats not considered your meal. Still pay the same price as I did! I booked a couple days before Kids Cruise Free Program and the difference was $18.00.... WOOOOOHOOOO thats not free!! :)

Edited by tandtmk04

I really don't get the issue here. "Cannot be combined with other sales or coupons" is pretty standard practice in every industry. The early saver fare is a sale, and can't be combined with another sale. You're already getting a discount. So choose which one you want, whichever is cheaper, and go with it.

The complaining makes no sense.

I really don't get the issue here. "Cannot be combined with other sales or coupons" is pretty standard practice in every industry. The early saver fare is a sale, and can't be combined with another sale. You're already getting a discount. So choose which one you want, whichever is cheaper, and go with it.

+1

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Throwing this tidbit out there---

We booked a last minute Spring Break cruise last year.

The fare for two double OVs was way less than a quad. If only three went, a double OV and Single OV /supplement, still would have been cheaper than a triple.

Simply a reaction to Supply and demand. More triples/quads were being booked than doubles.

Need to compare like number of pax to like amount of pax FOR THE EXACT SAME CABIN or category in the different fare categories.

Plain and Simple

Step 1: Price a cruise for 2 people

Step 2: Price a cruise for 4 people

If Step 2 is more than step one (with exception of taxes of course) it is deceiving.

And if you disagree behind...."Look at the small print/exclusions" then you are an apologist. Because when it's advertised KIDS SALE FREE!......they should be.

...This has to be the most ridiculous comment I've ever read here. Name calling because people don't agree with the poster. I'm an "apologist" because I read the fine print??

...Now THIS is "Plain and Simple." All promotions have exclusions. There are some posters in this thread that very clearly showed that this promotion works for some. If it doesn't work for the rate code that you have already booked, then you are already getting a discount.

...Every mass market cruise line runs the same promotion. Every mass market cruise line has the same restrictions.

If it says kids sail free, then the cruise price should simply be the same price as it would be for 2 people in a cabin. It's plain and simple. All cruise lines and stores should just cut the crap and not try to confuse people I to believing something is actually free. Free=Free

+1

Bingo. And circle gets the square.

I really cannot find where anybody can complain about this promotion. I'm running the cruise I want for 2 ppl, and then for 4 ppl - and the TOTAL FARE is the SAME... that seems pretty FREE to me.

Maybe people were trying to price match cruises they already had booked before the sale? Maybe folks didn't understand you still have to pay port fees and taxes for the kids? Or maybe they thought they could book a sale rate and get the kids free on top of the sale rate? I'm booking now, during the sale, and have no basis of comparison to previous rates, of course.

All I know is I'm getting a 7-night cruise for 4 people for less than I paid last year for only 2 of us... I think it's awesome :D

Yay!!!!

If it says kids sail free, then the cruise price should simply be the same price as it would be for 2 people in a cabin. It's plain and simple. All cruise lines and stores should just cut the crap and not try to confuse people I to believing something is actually free. Free=Free

That's the thing, it isn't confusing. Think of it this way: There are 2 sales going on, and they cannot be combined.

1) Early Saver Fare

2) Kids Sail Free.

Pick the sale which works out to the best price. You can't choose the Early Saver sale and still expect the Kids Sail Free sale on top of that. Pretty simple, actually. If they were to do away with the early saver fare while the kids sail free promotion is going on, then everyone without kids would complain.

...This has to be the most ridiculous comment I've ever read here. Name calling because people don't agree with the poster. I'm an "apologist" because I read the fine print??

...Now THIS is "Plain and Simple." All promotions have exclusions. There are some posters in this thread that very clearly showed that this promotion works for some. If it doesn't work for the rate code that you have already booked, then you are already getting a discount.

...Every mass market cruise line runs the same promotion. Every mass market cruise line has the same restrictions.

You are wrong...but that is ok....probably not the first or last time.

That's the thing, it isn't confusing. Think of it this way: There are 2 sales going on, and they cannot be combined.

1) Early Saver Fare

2) Kids Sail Free.

Pick the sale which works out to the best price. You can't choose the Early Saver sale and still expect the Kids Sail Free sale on top of that. Pretty simple, actually. If they were to do away with the early saver fare while the kids sail free promotion is going on, then everyone without kids would complain.

Why would everyone without kids complain? The promotion works whether or not the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin are kids or not. 4 adults can book this rate. They don't check ages for this promotion on any cruiseline.

You are wrong...but that is ok....probably not the first or last time.

...You're going to have to do better than that to hurt my feelings.

...The "Kids Sail Free" promotion is a very simple concept. Most people understand it. Sorry you don't.

I haven't looked closely at the details, but I'd be willing to bet that it's not available on all cruises. I'm sure it's only on selected dates, so it sounds like the "Kids Sale Free" promotion isn't available on your sailing date. Not exactly what I'd call a "bold face lie", in my opinion.

Yes, the kids sail free promotion is only certain cruises, if you click on the list from the main page, it really is kids sail free except for port fees, but the cheaper cruises are not included during the off season.

...You're going to have to do better than that to hurt my feelings.

...The "Kids Sail Free" promotion is a very simple concept. Most people understand it. Sorry you don't.

Again....you are wrong....I suggest you actually look into what you are saying before you speak....you will look less....well you know.

Again....you are wrong....I suggest you actually look into what you are saying before you speak....you will look less....well you know.

...Sorry, I never comment or help people here unless I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. See the long list of cruises under these comments? Believe me... I know of what I speak.

Why would everyone without kids complain? The promotion works whether or not the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin are kids or not. 4 adults can book this rate. They don't check ages for this promotion on any cruiseline.

Im guessing this is not the case. the system online will allow you to book it but I will bet once age is confirmed the price would change. Not sure I would try this though because I would hate to show up at the port and have them tell you. hey your not a kid so you have to pay more or no sailing.

...Sorry, I never comment or help people here unless I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. See the long list of cruises under these comments? Believe me... I know of what I speak.

Many of which are Carnival Cruises......and that is why you are an Apologist......again they are not your child.....they do not need you to stand up for them.....they will be just fine....Now if we could just get their stock prices to go up.

BTW....do you feel "cool" posting all those great "cruises" you have been on?

Edited by Clarksfan1

When I first read about this deal, I freaked out because I just booked a cruise with 2 adults, 2 kids!!! Aagh!!!! I price checked to see how much money I had screwed myself out of by missing out on this promo.... but was pleasantly surprised that I only would have saved a grand total of $38. Really??? yes, I know Carnival isn't 'lying' but it sure is a misleading promo. I love Carnival, but it makes me mad that they're saying "kids sail free". Kids sail free if they overcharge the adults!!!

Many of which are Carnival Cruises......and that is why you are an Apologist......again they are not your child.....they do not need you to stand up for them.....they will be just fine....Now if we could just get their stock prices to go up.

BTW....do you feel "cool" posting all those great "cruises" you have been on?

:::yawn::: Getting bored, but I'll play.

...Wouldn't just be easier to say, "Hey guys, I didn't understand the promotion. Thanks for explaining it to me?" It'll make you feel better.

So....Dougy...please explain this.......Don't be glib and gloss over it....explain it.

I price a cruise for 2 out of Baltimore

Total Cabin Price is $1689.....this price is not a discount fair....it is not a promotion....it is not room guarantee....it is the rate.

Then I price the same cruise...and the exact same room and the price comes up 2870 for 4 people with the "kids stay free" promotion.

How are the 3rd and 4th free? My first cruise search did not result in a discounted rate....rather a "rack" rate. And you cannot argue that the rooms are somehow priced differently because of capacity, because I had the same room reserved. So how is this cruise fare more than the amount of taxes? If you can explain this I'd love to hear it.

These are true numbers checked at 9:53pm So please explain....and don't say it's a discount and we should be happy with that. Because it's not "free"