Gay Barcelona

ftl principal

Hi everyone...

My partner and I will be sailing on the 7/13 Brilliance of the Seas from Barcelona (anyone else?).

Anyone have any tips on great things to do / see, etc while there? Any excellent "gay tips" (establishments,etc) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I met some guys from Madrid online (they gave me a personal tour of Madrid for just letting them practice their English with me!) and they said they thought SITGES was a great place to visit. It looks like it might be a "day trip" from Barcelona so it might be something to consider if you have an extra day there (about 25 miles, but a short train ride). They said it was really gay friendly and they felt very comfortable there. Looks like a cool place from the pix on the website link. Have fun and let us know. Here is another website I found about the city.A gay Sitges site.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ryndam Pacific Coastal May 3

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;17;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Dawn Princess Alaska May 17

Thanks for the tips... the websites you referenced were super! We will definitely be doing a day trip to Sitges, too. We will fill you in on Barcelona when we get back.

Any other information or ideas?

Majesty of the Seas 7/96

Carnival Ecstasy 11/97

Carnival Sensation 5/98

Majesty of the Seas 11/99

Carnival Ecstasy 5/00

Carnival Victory 4/01

Celebrity Horizon 12/02

Legend of the Seas 5/02

Carnival Fascination 1/04

Brilliance of the Seas 7/04 **

Many in Barcelona do 'night' trips to Sitges. The boys in Barcelona take the last train to Sitges and party all night. They then take the first train back to Barcelona in the morning. The bars there are pretty empty until about 2AM.

Last year we were out on the streets at 5:55 am. They were deserted. at 6AM there were HUNDREDS of guys on the streets because that is when the bars close. It was amazing.

It was that getting to a restaurant before 10pm is considered early. By 11pm they are PACKED.

KauaiBruce

NCL Star 3/2002 (Atlantis Hawaii)

RCI Splendor 9/2002 (Atlantis Europe)

NCL Dawn 1/2003 (Atlantis Caribbean)

Splendor of the Seas 8/2003 (Atlantis Europe)

NCL STAR 3/2004 (Atlantis Hawaii)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;10;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Days until

RCI Radiance of the Seas 1o/2004 (Atlantis Mexican Riviera)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;25;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Days until

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/2005 (Atlantis Caribbean)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;9;07;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Days until

Celebrity Infinity 9/2005 (Atlantis Alaska)

hi mark (and mike), icon_smile.gif

barcelona is a wonderful city to explore. you must see the gaudi architecture--fabulous!! and the familia segrada cathedral. go to the ramblas area for tapas, drinks, people watching and cruising. wander around, feel free to get lost, and watch for gypsies (bigtime)!! enjoy! a knowing friend k/t

Thank you, Ken (and Tom). Funny who you run into on the boards here... We appreciate the advice about Barcelona as we look forward to exploring the area.

We are staying at the Rivoli Ramblas Hotel - do you know it? Would you recommend it? If it is bad, we can change now, while reservations are still available. Thanks -- and hope to see you soon.

Anyone else have any Barcelona tips or info on the hotel?

Anyone else sailing on the 7/13 Brilliance of the Seas Mediterranean voyage?

Can't help you with the hotel but if you are in the Gothic Quarter you won't be sorry...only place I've ever stayed was in the Hotel Colon which faces the gothic cathedral...worth it if you can afford a cathedral view room...but am sure you'll be fine.

I second the Gaudi stuff...if you really like that sort of thing..not only the Sagrada Familia but also the Parc Guell.

BEWARE of pickpockets on the Metro..the only city in Europe I've ever been pickpocketed in and it was because I wasn't wearing my moneybelt that day.

Enjoy La Ramblas and just wandering around that great city. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities! Stayed there a few years ago for several days following a Renaissance cruise that ended there. I agree with what everyone has said. It is warm and wonderful place. I enjoyed just looking at the Sagrada Familia so much, I think I found an excuse to go by it four out of the five days there.

I stayed at the Barcelona Hilton, which was a great hotel, but more in the business/financial district of the city, rather than the historical district....but city had a great Metro and was easy to get around. I was there with another gay friend, not a couple, yet we were treated well by locals and always seemed to find someone to talk to. My buddy tried out some of the clubs (still with the dungeons and dark backrooms there!) and he had a good time with the neighborhood flavor. ENJOY!

icon_cool.gif Frank icon_cool.gif

June 2004 - Norwegian Pride of Aloha - 12 day Repositioning cruise San Francisco to Honolulu

Dec. 2003 - Norwegian Dawn - Florida/Bahamas

Oct. 2003 - Norwegian Sea - Caribbean Repositioning (named Miss Norwegian Sea!)

Dec. 2002 - Norwegian Wind - Hawaiian Islands

Oct. 2002 - Norwegian Sky - Eastern Caribbean Repositioning

March 2002 - Norwegian Sky - Western Caribbean

March 2001 - Renaissance; Tahiti

Feb. 1998 - Renaissance; Portugal/Spain

Fall 1996 - Norwegian Windward - Panama Canal Repositioning

Fall 1994 - Crown Odyssey (now Norwegian Crown) - Greece & Eastern Med.

May 1987 - Stardancer - Admiral Cruise Line - Mexico

Summer 1984 - Private Charter; Channel Islands, CA

[This message was edited by TheNightDawg on 06-16-04 at 11:31 PM.]

Hi,

I stayed in Barcelona just last month before the crowds started gathering... By now the parties must be realy good icon_wink.gif and of course the sites.. gaudi is really inspirational... We also made a trip to sitges because of the "gay atmosphere". It really is comfortable.. and the beaches are beautiful.

As for accommodation we stayed in an apartment and day tripped to sitges and stayed throught the night to take the train back in the morning. We rented an apartment on line from a gay managed company called www.barcelonapoint.com. Even though they are busy with the tourist season he took the time to answer are questions.

Don't forget that in October there is the Gay Film festival in Barcelona.

Cheers,

Jules

Archived