Port or starboard on a Med cruise?

goldenfilly

Just have a question for all you seasoned cruisers... for a Med cruise leaving out of Rome traveling south to the Greek Islands and on to Barcelona, is there a noticeable difference in the scenery between having a balcony port or starboard side? The ship is Equinox and am deciding between 9294 and 8255. I've looked at the spreadsheet here but would appreciate hearing some opinions. Thanks!

Generally if you are going in and out of a port you will see on the way in on the port side what you see out on way out on the starboard and vice verca.

The one port I would flag as being important to consider the side your cabin is on is Venice if you are only leaving from or only arriving there. If only leaving you want to be on the port side and if only arriving you want to be on the starboard side. Also consider that if you are planning to take a cabin that is low down on the starboard side you may get a degree of cigarette smoke as many ships seem to assign part of the starboard promenade deck as a smoking area for some reason.

Generally if you are going in and out of a port you will see on the way in on the port side what you see out on way out on the starboard and vice verca.

The one port I would flag as being important to consider the side your cabin is on is Venice if you are only leaving from or only arriving there. If only leaving you want to be on the port side and if only arriving you want to be on the starboard side. Also consider that if you are planning to take a cabin that is low down on the starboard side you may get a degree of cigarette smoke as many ships seem to assign part of the starboard promenade deck as a smoking area for some reason.

Could not agree more. Normally the ship is to far from shore. But the Venice is most spectacular departure I have seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is untrue for X. On the S class ships - Midship, port side, deck 5 is their smoking area. Smoke can be smelled from the area up to decks 8/9 I've experienced, being over that area.

Low down on the starboard side will have no smoking issues.

Edited by ariawoman

Apologies, re smoking areas did not mean to mislead, I guess the key is to check out the smoking areas for each ship individually and make your choice accordingly. That or try to land a cabin on a higher deck although then you need to ensure that you are not directly below an open deck area as it may be noisy.