Rental Car Return - POM

DDD06

I have very little experience renting cars so I'm looking for help.

What is the process for returning the rental at the Port of Miami? Do I drop the car at the port or would I need to return it somewhere else and get a taxi/shuttle to the port? If I drop it somewhere else, should I drop off luggage and the rest of my party before I return the car? Are any of the agencies listed on the port's website preferred? (National, Alamo, Hertz, Dollar, Amigo)

Thanks for any help.

You can drop the car the MIA airport car rental center with Alamo, National and Thrifty and ride their free shuttle to POM -- which allows you to skip driving in downtown Miami traffic. :cool:

There are other rental locations in downtown closer to POM (Avis, etc.) that are only a $10-13 cab ride from the port.

I prefer to drop at MIA and let someone else do the driving, but if you get a deal from a downtown location it may be worth your time.

We are dropping our luggage off at the port then returning our rental car to the Hertz location in downtown Miami. They offer free shuttle to the pier. Its easier for us with 2 kids to not have to lug our luggage on the shuttle bus. After the cruise we are taking the free alamo shuttle to the airport and picking up our rental car at the alamo airport location.

HTH

P.S we r dropping our car off at the downtown location becaise its closer to the port.

You can drop the car the MIA airport car rental center with Alamo, National and Thrifty and ride their free shuttle to POM -- which allows you to skip driving in downtown Miami traffic. :cool:

There are other rental locations in downtown closer to POM (Avis, etc.) that are only a $10-13 cab ride from the port.

I prefer to drop at MIA and let someone else do the driving, but if you get a deal from a downtown location it may be worth your time.

Alamo and National you drop off at MIA? Not closer to POM?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We are dropping our luggage off at the port then returning our rental car to the Hertz location in downtown Miami. They offer free shuttle to the pier. Its easier for us with 2 kids to not have to lug our luggage on the shuttle bus. After the cruise we are taking the free alamo shuttle to the airport and picking up our rental car at the alamo airport location.

HTH

P.S we r dropping our car off at the downtown location becaise its closer to the port.

Do you know where you drop off for Hertz? About how far from POM?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Alamo and National you drop off at MIA? Not closer to POM?

Alamo, National and Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location; if you return the car to an Alamo, Thrifty or National location other than the MIA airport they probably will not have a free shuttle. The drive from MIA to POM takes about 15 minutes.

Reverse question, who rents from the port of Miami and do they drive you to the rental location?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

National, Alamo and Thrifty will shuttle you for free from POM to their MIA airport location. Hertz in downtown Miami also offers a shuttle but is usually overwhelmed on cruise days -- expect a long wait when you get to their office. :(

Budget, Avis, and Hertz have downtown Miami locations. I have read numerous posts that state Hertz provides free shuttle service from their downtown location but many posters complain that renting or dropping off a vehicle there is the worse rental location in the State of Florida. When dropping off a vehicle there you drive into a parking garage and go to the top floor. The workers at that location don't have handheld computer scanners so they write down your information on a slip of paper and you then head for the elevator to go to the ground floor office where everyone either picks up or drops off a vehicle and stands in the same line. Some posters state that Budget and Avis has free shuttle service but I can't personally confirm that. I can personally verify that Dollar, Thifty, Alamo, and National provide free shuttle service from the Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport to the Port Of Miami. They also provide shuttle service back to that location after the conclusion of your cruise. Before entering the shuttles some drivers will ask to see your vehicle reservation paperwork before they allow you to board the bus. That is done because some cruisers are looking for free transportation back to Miami International Airport. On most occasions I personally rent from either Dollar or Thifty which is owned by the same company.