Naples to Capri

carliegirl

Just wondering if it would be possible to do a day trip from the port in Naples to Capri? I would like to see the blue grotto. I think we have around 8 hours in Naples. Thanks in advance.

If you do a "search" of this forum you will probably find over 1000 posts (quite a few are mine) addressing your issue. And yes, it is very possible and actually quite easy to do what you want on your own. As to the Blue Grotto (possibly the top tourist trap in all of Italy) your ability to go there will also depends on the tides the day you get to Capri. If the Grotto is open you can go there (just be prepared to pay the big bucks) but many times it is closed due to high tides.

Hank

I too have posted this info before. but want to warn you about 2 ferry terminals in naples. we took the slow ferry from naples to capri. was right next to the ship and was just about to leave so we hopped on it. took the faster ferry back. it docked at another place a couple miles down the beach. could not see our ship and no cabs around. couple mile walk so not a big deal but had we been pressed for time it might have been an issue.

blue grotto always has long lines for viewing. sit in a small row boat to see blue water. cool but emperors villa was more interesting to me.

have fun

I too have posted this info before. but want to warn you about 2 ferry terminals in naples. we took the slow ferry from naples to capri. was right next to the ship and was just about to leave so we hopped on it. took the faster ferry back. it docked at another place a couple miles down the beach. could not see our ship and no cabs around. couple mile walk so not a big deal but had we been pressed for time it might have been an issue.

blue grotto always has long lines for viewing. sit in a small row boat to see blue water. cool but emperors villa was more interesting to me.

have fun

The two main ferry terminals are called Molo Beverello (the one near the cruise ships) and Molo Mergallina (a couple of miles away from the cruise port). When buying a return ticket to Naples (on Capri) make sure the schedule shows it docks at Molo Beverello.

As to the Blue Grotto, when we finally were forced to go over there, we simply took a boat tour from the pier (right next to where the Naples jet boats dock) over to the Blue Grotto. The boat ride was quite nice since we got a great view of Capri from the sea. Once at the Blue Grotto you have to transfer (in small groups) to the row boats (this is done at sea) after which they row you into the Grotto. Then, having paid a lot for this show the boat rowers really coerce folks for tips.

Hank

P.S. I should add that we have posted this info many times on this forum.

Edited by Hlitner

Of all the possible excursions from Naples, this is the easiest. No long walk, no tram/train combo to figure out. Stroll over to Molo Beverello (250 yards from the ship), jump on a hydrofoil and you're on Capri in about 40 minutes. As Hank says, it's a lottery whether you can do the Blue Grotto, but having read his thoughts I'm not sorry that I couldn't ! It costs about €40 pp return trip. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]uujBnlG7ahs[/YOUTUBE]

Tony - thanks for the Capri info. I watched a few of your videos and they are magnificent. Some brought back memories of recent trips ( Europe, Hong Kong, Panama) and a few are helping us plan an upcoming Holy Land cruise.

Did you plan the Capri trip on your own or did you use and private/semi private tour company. Except for a few more dangerous cities, we generally use semi private tours ( 6-10 folks) or go at it on our own.

Thanks again,

Marci

Tony - thanks for the Capri info. I watched a few of your videos and they are magnificent. Some brought back memories of recent trips ( Europe, Hong Kong, Panama) and a few are helping us plan an upcoming Holy Land cruise.

Did you plan the Capri trip on your own or did you use and private/semi private tour company. Except for a few more dangerous cities, we generally use semi private tours ( 6-10 folks) or go at it on our own.

Thanks again,

Marci

Hi Marci

Thank you for your kind words. Capri was very much done on our own as it's made for DIY touring, or just watching the world go by if you fancy a quiet day. I stupidly did not get up early enough to do all I wanted. We went over on the 10 am hydrofoil, when one at around 8.30 is what we should have taken. Hope you have the same weather as I did.

I would highly recommend searching on this thread for a detailed trip report on how to DIY from poster Virtual Rain. Very helpful to me as I am planning to DIY this June.

And thanks to hlitner for all that he has added to this and other discussions!

Thought I would toss out another factoid. Finding a boat tour to take you to the Blue Grotto does not require any reservation or even much knowledge. Once your jetboat/hydrofoil docks at Capri (in Marina Grande) you will have to walk off the pier. Before you can even get off that pier you are going to see signs (some hand lettered) offering tours to the Blue Grotto and also various boat tours around the island. You just walk up to any of those folks and tell them where you want to go and they will do the rest. But be aware that it does take a fistful of Euros to go to the Blue Grotto (I seem to recall that after paying tips it cost us over 40 Euros per person). We also suggest you do the Blue Grotto as soon as you arrive on Capri since it does take lots of time (up to 2 hours if your boat is delayed).

Hank

Thought I would toss out another factoid. Finding a boat tour to take you to the Blue Grotto does not require any reservation or even much knowledge. Once your jetboat/hydrofoil docks at Capri (in Marina Grande) you will have to walk off the pier. Before you can even get off that pier you are going to see signs (some hand lettered) offering tours to the Blue Grotto and also various boat tours around the island. You just walk up to any of those folks and tell them where you want to go and they will do the rest. But be aware that it does take a fistful of Euros to go to the Blue Grotto (I seem to recall that after paying tips it cost us over 40 Euros per person). We also suggest you do the Blue Grotto as soon as you arrive on Capri since it does take lots of time (up to 2 hours if your boat is delayed).

Hank

Thanks, Hank. 40Euros is unbelievable (though I do believe you!). I am planning to take a two hour boat tour around the island, with a stop at the Blue Grotto, when we first arrive. Your advice is helpful as it probably makes no sense to reserve in advance. And, then, if the weather is too bad when we dock, we aren't out any money.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone give an approx. of what a private tour of the island costs?

Maybe a few hours 3/4 hours by boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the prices from last year: http://www.caprirelaxboats.com/images/rates2013_en.pdf

Here is a link to the ferry schedule: http://www.capri.com/en/ferry-schedule?path_id=11