Warnemunde to Berlin ?

Have you done this on your own and if so how? Thanks.

ETA Self-drive is not an option......

Linda

Hi Linda, me again!

This subject has been discussed at length on this forum, just use the search facility at the top of the page and you will find it on several threads. I hope that a cruiser who has done Berlin on their own will answer you but meanwhile here are a few comments on getting to and from Berlin from someone who makes this journey frequently as a local.

The train service is OK from our point of view but not so good timewise for cruisers. I note that your ship is due to berth in Warnemünde at 7:00 so the earliest train to Berlin would be an s-bahn at 7:40, 7:48 or 8:04 (this last would be cutting it a bit fine) to connect with the RE from Rostock dep. 8:34 arr Berlin Hbf 11:14. If for any reason you cannot make the 8:34 the next train would be 9:07, change in Schwerin, arr. Berlin Hbf 12:32

On the other hand some ships and private companies offer a transfer only tour (.ie a bus/coach to Berlin and back with your time there free to do your own thing) departing the ship at 7:30 arr. Berlin at approx.10:00.

The return journey is equally awkward as one train gets you back way before sailing time whilst the next is too late. The transfer by bus/coach is timed to give maximum time in Berlin whilst getting you back in good time for 'on-board'. In some cases the bus/coach option as opposed to the train will give you as much as three hours extra in the city with drop-off/pick-up right in the main tourist area saving the time wasted getting to and from the station, finding the platform, waiting for the train etc.

I am a great fan of DIY and rarely take tours, ships or otherwise, but to get the most out of the limited time for Berlin then a bus/coach transfer would seem to be the best option.

Sorry but, as a local, I am not allowed to mention any specific company. Using your search engine should bring up several possibilities.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

Sorry but, as a local, I am not allowed to mention any specific company.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

Hi Anni,

If you're referring to Cruise Critic rules, those rules don't permit the mention of specific travel agents - the agencies which book cruises and other holidays.

But no problem in mentioning excursion operators, and I'm sure that any recommendations would be welcomed by the OP & others.

I know for instance that Alla Tours & SPB Tours both offer tours to Berlin from Warnemunde, even though they're both based in St Petersburg.

I've used Alla in St Petersburg & would certainly recommend them for St Pete's though I've no experience of them in Warnemunde.

I've visited Berlin a few times by air.

Just MHO, but if a cruiser is going to have the opportunity to visit Berlin at some time in the future I'd suggest they avoid the long haul from Warnemunde - instead visit somewhere more local like Rostock, and save Berlin for a time when they can give it the time it deserves.

But if it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, then a long haul & a brief visit is better than never seeing the place.

Berlin's sights are quite spread out. The ho-ho is great but too time-consuming for one short day, and although the U-Bahn (metro) is pretty efficient that too is quite time-consuming. So getting to Berlin by public transport is only part of the problem.

If a visitor is planning to use a private transfer, then it makes a great deal of sense for that to be a tour rather than just a transfer - for the time-saving transportation around the city as well as the services of a guide.

Just my own opinion, as usual.

JB :)

Delighted to have such detailed information. Thanks both.

I've found info about http://www.theberlinexpert.com on the boards and have dropped him an email. Travelling solo means the usual suspects are out of my price bracket.... Am with Alla in SPB & Moscow with a large CC group.

There's an address in Berlin I specifically want to visit..... just to take a picture.... a relative has a stolperstein laid there. I am quite happy to take the RCCL transfer to Berlin and find it by myself. I can take myself to other sites and plan the day; was just wondering if I had overlooked something / someone.

Vielen Dank.

Hi Anni,

If you're referring to Cruise Critic rules, those rules don't permit the mention of specific travel agents - the agencies which book cruises and other holidays.

But no problem in mentioning excursion operators, and I'm sure that any recommendations would be welcomed by the OP & others.

Only following the rules in the 'sticky' above entitled Participation of Tour Operators, Locals, Business Owners & Guides!

Quote:-

Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended. (My italics)

I enjoy helping others to enjoy my part of Germany and do not intend to risk suspension

Anni

Only following the rules in the 'sticky' above entitled Participation of Tour Operators, Locals, Business Owners & Guides!

Quote:-

Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended. (My italics)

I enjoy helping others to enjoy my part of Germany and do not intend to risk suspension

Anni

Hi, Anni,

No worries :)

The rule is to avoid excursion operators or their friends promoting themselves.

But your number of posts, the variety of your posts, and your valuable contributions demonstrate that you're a genuine member.

I've frequently mentioned local operators - mainly taxi & transfer operators, parking sites, hotels, restaurants etc, and that hasn't troubled the moderators.

I feel sure that they know I don't have a hidden agenda.

Hopefully another regular will chip in to say something similar on the subject, but of course you will make your own mind up

I do try to mention more than one, and only give a personal recommendation to (or cautioned against) any that I've actually used.

Slightly off-topic, I've learned to generally avoid personal recommendations anyway - if someone goes by my recommendation & the operator lets them down I feel personally responsible. That happened once, made me feel bad. :o

Keep posting, Anni, you always seem to give useful information.

Hi, Anni,

No worries :)

The rule is to avoid excursion operators or their friends promoting themselves.

But your number of posts, the variety of your posts, and your valuable contributions demonstrate that you're a genuine member.

I've frequently mentioned local operators - mainly taxi & transfer operators, parking sites, hotels, restaurants etc, and that hasn't troubled the moderators.

I feel sure that they know I don't have a hidden agenda.

Hopefully another regular will chip in to say something similar on the subject, but of course you will make your own mind up

I do try to mention more than one, and only give a personal recommendation to (or cautioned against) any that I've actually used.

Slightly off-topic, I've learned to generally avoid personal recommendations anyway - if someone goes by my recommendation & the operator lets them down I feel personally responsible. That happened once, made me feel bad. :o

Keep posting, Anni, you always seem to give useful information.

Hi John, thanks for the re-assurance and encouragement but, having already had one post deleted and a warning notice following an innocent mention of an organisation doing tours in my town, I think I will play it safe. No names, no pack drill!

Re-commendations of large, multi-nationals like car hire companies and the often mentioned tour providors seem to be safe, although I would only recommend those of which I have had personal experience. I agree entirely with your remarks on personal recommendations, especially restaurants and hotels, they can backfire!

Don't worry, I will keep posting, its addictive :rolleyes:

Anni

Just MHO, but if a cruiser is going to have the opportunity to visit Berlin at some time in the future I'd suggest they avoid the long haul from Warnemunde - instead visit somewhere more local like Rostock, and save Berlin for a time when they can give it the time it deserves.

But if it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, then a long haul & a brief visit is better than never seeing the place.

Exactly, wanted to give the same advice :)

Hi Anni,

I know for instance that Alla Tours & SPB Tours both offer tours to Berlin from Warnemunde, even though they're both based in St Petersburg.

I've used Alla in St Petersburg & would certainly recommend them for St Pete's though I've no experience of them in Warnemunde.

Just my own opinion, as usual.

We're planning an extended family Baltics cruise in May 2015 and have more or less decided to go with SPB Tours, taking their multi-city package. DH & I have been to Berlin and spent several days there in the past, though the others in our group haven't. Since we're unlikely to go back to Germany again anytime soon we plan on doing the long trek into Berlin. My question is will this just be a drive-by tour or do we actually get to visit one of the museums, how do these tours work? I know Berlin is very large and six hours is no way sufficient even to simply scratch the surface, but we'd still like to get as much bang for our buck as possible. Thanks for your advice:)

We're planning an extended family Baltics cruise in May 2015 and have more or less decided to go with SPB Tours, taking their multi-city package. DH & I have been to Berlin and spent several days there in the past, though the others in our group haven't. Since we're unlikely to go back to Germany again anytime soon we plan on doing the long trek into Berlin. My question is will this just be a drive-by tour or do we actually get to visit one of the museums, how do these tours work? I know Berlin is very large and six hours is no way sufficient even to simply scratch the surface, but we'd still like to get as much bang for our buck as possible. Thanks for your advice:)

I've got no doubt you'll have a few reasonably long stops. But I think your best bet is to ask SPB, they're very good at responding to e-mails.

And if it's a private rather than shared tour, with your background knowledge I suspect you can input your wishes & they'll accommodate within the limits of the logistics.

I'm a do-it-yourself-er but for this port I decided to book a tour with SPB. then my travel companions decided they really wanted to drive on the autobahn so we cancelled the tour and rented a car instead. I'd say go for a tour.

I'm a do-it-yourself-er but for this port I decided to book a tour with SPB. then my travel companions decided they really wanted to drive on the autobahn so we cancelled the tour and rented a car instead. I'd say go for a tour.

SparkleBee, can you please give me details of the Berlin tour you were planning to do with SPB? Thanks in advance:)

i don't remember much about the details, but it was approx $150, although we got a small discount because we also booked with them for St Pete. they wisk you away at the port, take you to most of the main attractions and get you back in time. As for the owners of the company - the wife lives in St. Pete but the husband lives in Berlin. I feel they really have their act together. as I said, this is the way I chose to do it. wish me luck on the autobahn!!!

i don't remember much about the details, but it was approx $150, although we got a small discount because we also booked with them for St Pete. they wisk you away at the port, take you to most of the main attractions and get you back in time. As for the owners of the company - the wife lives in St. Pete but the husband lives in Berlin. I feel they really have their act together. as I said, this is the way I chose to do it. wish me luck on the autobahn!!!

Yes, I too have asked Vika to make a quote for Berlin and Stockholm also, she said you get a discount since we'll be booking the two day St. Petes deluxe tour. Not to be inquisitive, how much are you paying for your tour? My apologies, don't usually ask such questions but I want to get an idea of how it works out.

You'll love driving on the autobahn, I know DH would, but we're a group of eight and I think a tour will be that much easier. Enjoy your trip:)

• 2 weeks later...
Have you done this on your own and if so how? Thanks.

ETA Self-drive is not an option......

Linda

Hi Linda,

What did you end up deciding to do for the Berlin day??

I hate bus tours but ....looks like it will take too long to try on our own!

Raina

Hi Linda,

What did you end up deciding to do for the Berlin day??

I hate bus tours but ....looks like it will take too long to try on our own!

Raina

Hi Raina,

I've found a guide who will tailor make a tour for me..... she can organise a driver to meet me at Warnemunde but that makes the day way too expensive so I'm looking at taking RCCL transport in.

I emailed the shore excursion people, initially to find out about transfers to the airport at the end of the cruise (none listed); I have now asked about clarification regarding their 'Berlin on your own' offer as it is described as being by train and then being a 3 hour bus ride each way.... :confused:

Linda

Hi Raina,

I've found a guide who will tailor make a tour for me..... she can organise a driver to meet me at Warnemunde but that makes the day way too expensive so I'm looking at taking RCCL transport in.

I emailed the shore excursion people, initially to find out about transfers to the airport at the end of the cruise (none listed); I have now asked about clarification regarding their 'Berlin on your own' offer as it is described as being by train and then being a 3 hour bus ride each way.... :confused:

Linda

That's what I am trying to do...but so hard to get useful information. And I did read somewhere that it is not the standard train. . The ships charter a train so it is old 'rolling stock' with no AC.

Can you please let me know if you hear back from them.

Thanks

Raina

You must be getting so excited!!!

That's what I am trying to do...but so hard to get useful information. And I did read somewhere that it is not the standard train. . The ships charter a train so it is old 'rolling stock' with no AC.

Can you please let me know if you hear back from them.

Thanks

Raina

You must be getting so excited!!!

Getting there ;) There was a pricedrop on the Royal Replenishment package (exchange rate?) so grabbed one of those. Then there's price confusion on the rooms (JS cheaper than Balcony) and I upgraded my Inside to an OV for £31!!

The shore people are something else though.... referring me to the Explorations desk on board with regards to end of cruise transfer..... surely these are all negotiated from a central office and not set up on board.... :rolleyes:

Will post back here when I've signed off on what I'm doing in Berlin.

Linda