Difference between Alaska cruise routes?

cruisingmum

Last year, we planned exactly the same itinerary that you are now considering. We thought "We may only be here once, so lets see as much as we can". However, once we started to understand how much there was to see in the Rocky Mountains (and also how expensive the Rocky Mountaineer 'must do Gold Leaf' was) we realised this 4 or 5 day side trip was not going to do the area justice, and some of the tours don't even get up as far as Jasper. Also be aware that in early May, some parts of the Rockies are still inaccessible. We came to realise that an early May cruise was not an ideal companion to getting the most out of the Rockies. As it turned out, we unfortunately had to cancel everything, but we have re-booked our cruise for this year, and are planning to come back to Canada another time to separately enjoy the Rockies and surrounding areas in more detail.

Come in early to mid July for the Calgary Stampede: http://cs.calgarystampede.com

From Calgary, you can do Banff, Jasper and the Rocky Mountaineer, if you still want to do it.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Come in early to mid July for the Calgary Stampede: http://cs.calgarystampede.com

From Calgary, you can do Banff, Jasper and the Rocky Mountaineer, if you still want to do it.

My DH would love to do the Calgary Stampede but ... would the ice in Alaska have melted in your summer :confused: I know it won't have but will the glaciers still be as scenic in your summer?

My DH would love to do the Calgary Stampede but ... would the ice in Alaska have melted in your summer :confused: I know it won't have but will the glaciers still be as scenic in your summer?

Each day is "scenic". Viewing has more to do with the weather at that time. More intense blues are seen over cast days. But every viewing is a gift. :)

Well given the never ending winter that we're still experiencing, I'm sure that our glaciers will still be growing in July!!!:rolleyes:

Not sure if you're talking about the glaciers in Alaska or Alberta/BC but both should be fine and still there. I've not been to Alaska any later than June but I suspect that the glaciers are just as beautiful later in the summer. The exception would be the one adjacent to Margerie Glacier that, I'm told, looks dirty all the time!

As for the Columbia Icefields, well, it's been a little while since I've been there. It's possible that it may look dirty later in the season; I really don't know. But, you should still be able to ride the snow coach and fill up your water bottle with fresh glacial water.

I hope you come.

Not sure if you're talking about the glaciers in Alaska or Alberta/BC but both should be fine and still there. I've not been to Alaska any later than June but I suspect that the glaciers are just as beautiful later in the summer. The exception would be the one adjacent to Margerie Glacier that, I'm told, looks dirty all the time!

The Grand Pacific used to be adjacent, but hasn't been for several years. There is a wide space between them now, due to receding.

Just to throw a wrench into the mix...it is entirely possible to rent a car or van and do the Rockies on your own. This is of course assuming you are comfortable driving on the right hand side of the road. You will see A LOT more and you will be in control of your own agenda. I personally don't think the rail tours do the area justice as there is so much to see. I would suggest making hotel bookings in march /april if you plan to be in Jasper/Banff in July/August as that is the busiest season. September is also a great time to do the Rockies, as public school is back in session here and the crowds thin out considerabily, and the weather is usually still good in the first two weeks, and the fall colours will just be starting and are really beautiful.

Day one, Vancouver to KAmloops approx 400km. Overnight in Kamloops.

Day two, Kamloops to Jasper approx 500 km, stopping at Mount Robson and a couple of waterfalls/points of interest along the way.

Day three in Jasper, may I suggest a visit to Medicine Lake and Malign Lake and a small boat cruise on the lake - truly beautiful! And/or a trip up the Jasper Tramway. Jasper the city itself is very small and you can see it all in an easy afternoon. Both lakes and the Tram are a short drive from the town of Jasper.

Day four drive the Icefields parkway south to Banff, stopping at Athabasca Falls, then the Colulmbia Icefield and taking the Snocoach tour, also stopping at your liesure to take photos of the many many beautiful glacier fed BLUE lakes along the way.

Day five in Banff. Perhaps two days in this area to allow a visit to Lake Louise, visit the public hotsprings, marvel at the beauty of the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel, shop in Banff, take the Banff tram up the mountain, mild hiking on Tunnel Mountain...etc...

From there you can drive to Calgary (1 hr) to fly wherever you need to go, OR drive back to Vancouver in a long day's driving to board your cruise ship.

Celebrity offers a round trip cruise 7 days out of Vancouver, as well as 7 day north and south bound trips

Edited by SA71

Thought I would post a couple of pics that I took in 2011 in the Rockies.

Peyto Lake (between Jasper and Banff on the Icefield Parkway).

The view from the top of the Jasper Tramway of the Jasper townsite

Pics taken in early September

IMG_1107.jpg.b1f2a0a25dc49911efdb681832399346.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg.86b6c15ced4d22b538d7988ae955936d.jpg

Edited by SA71

Just to throw a wrench into the mix...it is entirely possible to rent a car or van and do the Rockies on your own. This is of course assuming you are comfortable driving on the right hand side of the road. You will see A LOT more and you will be in control of your own agenda. I personally don't think the rail tours do the area justice as there is so much to see. I would suggest making hotel bookings in march /april if you plan to be in Jasper/Banff in July/August as that is the busiest season. September is also a great time to do the Rockies, as public school is back in session here and the crowds thin out considerabily, and the weather is usually still good in the first two weeks, and the fall colours will just be starting and are really beautiful.

Day two, Kamloops to Jasper approx 500 km, stopping at Mount Robson and a couple of waterfalls/points of interest along the way.

Day three in Jasper, may I suggest a visit to Medicine Lake and Malign Lake and a small boat cruise on the lake - truly beautiful! And/or a trip up the Jasper Tramway. Jasper the city itself is very small and you can see it all in an easy afternoon. Both lakes and the Tram are a short drive from the town of Jasper.

Day four drive the Icefields parkway south to Banff, stopping at Athabasca Falls, then the Colulmbia Icefield and taking the Snocoach tour, also stopping at your liesure to take photos of the many many beautiful glacier fed BLUE lakes along the way.

Day five in Banff. Perhaps two days in this area to allow a visit to Lake Louise, visit the public hotsprings, marvel at the beauty of the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel, shop in Banff, take the Banff tram up the mountain, mild hiking on Tunnel Mountain...etc...

From there you can drive to Calgary (1 hr) to fly wherever you need to go, OR drive back to Vancouver in a long day's driving to board your cruise ship.

Celebrity offers a round trip cruise 7 days out of Vancouver, as well as 7 day north and south bound trips

I absolutely agree that this area is grossly superior going independent. Tours just don't offer many opportunities to get out of the "tourist" areas that are so limited. It is easy to go on your own, in my opinion.

Well given the never ending winter that we're still experiencing, I'm sure that our glaciers will still be growing in July!!!:rolleyes:

As for the Columbia Icefields, well, it's been a little while since I've been there. It's possible that it may look dirty later in the season; I really don't know. But, you should still be able to ride the snow coach and fill up your water bottle with fresh glacial water.

I hope you come.

Yes the bad weather you've been having all Winter has been all over our TV stations. We've had ridiculous heat. Would be great if you had it a bit warmer and we had it a bit colder ... but then I'd have to find something else to moan about ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. After looking over your itinerary and using maps we think this is the way to go. I wouldn't have the nerve to drive in the conditions and on the "wrong" side of the road but DH drives for a living and he's quite excited at the thought :)

I absolutely agree that this area is grossly superior going independent. Tours just don't offer many opportunities to get out of the "tourist" areas that are so limited. It is easy to go on your own, in my opinion.

Yes we're definitely coming around to your way of thinking. Thanks :)

One thing no one has really mentioned is the difference in wildlife.

I believe earlier in the season (ie May) you have a better chance of seeing animals with their young. While later in the season (ie August) you are more likely to see salmon spawning.

I believe there are some differences with which types of whales you would see also.

This shows different varieties of wildlife and likelihood of viewing in different months...

http://alaskancruiseplanners.com/alaska_wildlife

This looks to be for Sitka? There is no- "Alaska" wildlife chart that isn't just general. Wildlife is specific for timing depending the destination. The give away detail is the sea otter chart. Sitka is the place to consistantly see them, along with Glacier Bay, not likely in the other port areas.

A grossly inaccurate example, if you use your chart. Humpbacks are peak May- Sept and are seen on 100% of the whale watches out of Juneau. The humpbacks do hit Sitka early and late. Sitka has had their Whale fest for years, first week end in November.

Edited by Budget Queen

Strange that no one has mentioned another big difference between Vancouver and Seattle voyages. From Seattle you immediately head out to the open ocean and stay there until we'll north of Vancouver island before heading into the "inside passage". You are too far out to even see Vancouver island. If you leave from Vancouver you go north BETW EEN vancouverisland and the mainland which IMHO is a very much more beautiful trip. you are remarkably close to both sides of the channel, and it is incredible. You get a full extra day of up close and personal forests and scenery. Most sailings from Alaska south to Seattle sto at Victoria . They too come down the outside of Vancouver island,missing some amazing scenery,

Whatever you decide hope your visit is wonderful ...we have fond memories of 2.5 years we spent in the Cobram area north of you.o

If you want to do a land tour of the Rocky Mountains, you would probably want to do either a southbound cruise departing from Alaska and arriving in Vancouver or Seattle. From there you can go on the land tour part.

You can also do a round trip cruise from Seattle or Vancouver and take the land tour either before or after your cruise. This would simplify the airfare portion of your trip some.

Southbound cruises on end in Vancouver . Something to do with a stupid US law regarding carrying passengers between two port. Most Rocky Mountain tours start or end in Vancouver .

I would recommend starting with the Rocky Mountain Tours and ending with a 7 day round trip cruise from Seattle or Vancouver.

See this link for an independent Rocky Mountain tour

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA_BC/

They also have a rail cruise package as well.

Edited by Kamloops50

We did almost an identical road trip to what SA7 was suggesting several years ago. Very doable and very spectacular. Made me smile just to read the itinerary. Traffic will not be terrible so the driving on the wrong side of the road shouldn't be a huge issue.

You're going to have an amazing time regardless of the choices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We did almost an identical road trip to what SA7 was suggesting several years ago. Very doable and very spectacular. Made me smile just to read the itinerary. Traffic will not be terrible so the driving on the wrong side of the road shouldn't be a huge issue.

You're going to have an amazing time regardless of the choices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The only issue could be to getting used to driving in mountainous areas. I've seen to many people stick in pull outs becaused they got scared.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

The only issue could be to getting used to driving in mountainous areas. I've seen to many people stick in pull outs becaused they got scared.

This is rare in Alaska, where are the "mountainous" roads you are referring to? The White Pass summit can be "scary" early season with 12 foot snow banks and white outs, but driving main land Alaska is a lot of straight gentle climb roads, and I've driven all the main roads.

This is rare in Alaska, where are the "mountainous" roads you are referring to? The White Pass summit can be "scary" early season with 12 foot snow banks and white outs, but driving main land Alaska is a lot of straight gentle climb roads, and I've driven all the main roads.

If you read the first entry ,the people are from Australia and want to do a tour of the Rocky Mountains not Alaska.

Strange that no one has mentioned another big difference between Vancouver and Seattle voyages. From Seattle you immediately head out to the open ocean and stay there until we'll north of Vancouver island before heading into the "inside passage". You are too far out to even see Vancouver island. If you leave from Vancouver you go north BETW EEN vancouverisland and the mainland which IMHO is a very much more beautiful trip. you are remarkably close to both sides of the channel, and it is incredible. You get a full extra day of up close and personal forests and scenery. Most sailings from Alaska south to Seattle sto at Victoria . They too come down the outside of Vancouver island,missing some amazing scenery,

A very good point to consider when choosing an Alaska cruise!

That is why it is important to check out the map of the actual itinerary your ship is scheduled to travel and also check out the times in the ports because some give you better port times than others, even though they may visit the same ports.

Some of the round-trip cruises out of Seattle waste 2 days of the cruise by traveling out in open ocean both ways instead of taking the scenic inside passage.

Others sail out in the ocean west of Vancouver Island heading northbound, but at least they travel the inside passage down to Victoria for the southbound leg, so seeing the lower inside passage one way beats missing it completely.

It is easy for passengers to be deceived.

If you ask if your cruise travels the inside passage, the answer will always be 'yes" because all the Alaska cruises travel at least part of the inside passage.

What they neglect to tell you is that some cruises show you a lot more of the inside passage than others.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help us. We've decided to fly into Vancouver and hire a car and travel 'The Rockies' then take a northbound cruise to Alaska (I can't stop singing that song 'North to Alaska' lol).

That gives me 2 more decisions to make though ... which cruise ship is best and is possible to drive back from anchorage to Vancouver?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help us. We've decided to fly into Vancouver and hire a car and travel 'The Rockies' then take a northbound cruise to Alaska (I can't stop singing that song 'North to Alaska' lol).

That gives me 2 more decisions to make though ... which cruise ship is best and is possible to drive back from anchorage to Vancouver?

Which cruise ship is best is really decided best by you. What is best for me may not be best for you. Research the cruise lines, but decide what you want to see and which lines go to those places. Not everyone goes to Glacier Bay so that can narrow things down, if GB is where you want to go.

As for driving back from Anchorage to Vancouver, yes, it can be done. But I wouldn't do it. I did a google search on directions and it takes 46 hours of driving!:eek: Some (a couple of hours) of which will be a repeat of your drive through the Rockies. If you stop for the night and meals, it will take even longer. I don't know enough to comment about the overall cost differences between flying and driving. Something else to consider is the cost of doing a one way rental, and taking the rental car over the border.

The flight from Anchorage to Vancouver is around 4 hours. If you have the time and you want to see British Columbia from top to bottom, go ahead. I don't remember which month you're thinking of but I wouldn't do the drive too early or too late in the cruise season because of weather/road conditions.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Drive back to Vancouver is almost 5 days (9 hours days) . Also you can't rent a car in Alaska and drop off in Seattle (not Vancouver ) . Insurance issues.

The cost would be more than just cruising or flying back to Vancouver.