Kudos to Celebrity!

Go-Bucks!

As my friend and I were boarding the ship for our first Celebrity cruise, she began to get very sick. It came on so quickly that by the time we got to our cabin, she was in extreme pain. The steward helped me take her down to the Medical Center where a fantastic doctor diagnosed her with pancreatitis! He called the emergency squad and they took her to a local hospital, where she stayed for nearly a week (while I went on the cruise alone - that's another story that's over on the Solo board).

Unfortunately, my friend did not have travel insurance so her bill for the Medical Center is nearly $1,000. But since she didn't get to take the cruise, she also lost that money.

While she was in the hospital, a representative from Celebrity called her a couple times to make sure she was doing OK and said that she would try to get my friend a partial cruise fee refund. Well, because it was a medical emergency, Celebrity ended up giving her a cruise credit for the ENTIRE amount she'd paid for the cruise to be used on another cruise within a year!! We're so happy and now planning another Celebrity cruise. So . . . .

A BIG THANK YOU TO CELEBRITY CRUISE LINE!!!! :D

Thanks for posting your experience. Sorry for your friend, but at least X went above and beyond to help alleviate the situation. I hope she has travel insurance next time!

She learned a BIG lesson about travel insurance! She'll never travel without it again. I always get it and thought she did too.

Even if you're very healthy and have never had a travel issue, you never know if you're plane will be delayed, your luggage could end up in the North Pole, or you might get sick or injured unexpectedly. It's a small price to pay up front compared to a huge expense later on. ;)

Unfortunately, my friend did not have travel insurance so her bill for the Medical Center is nearly $1,000. But since she didn't get to take the cruise, she also lost that money.

So Glad to hear Celebrity went over and above the call of duty.

Doesn't your friend have health insurance? My health insurance covers all medical emergencies when home or away. She should contact them to get reimbursed.

Glad to hear she is doing better.