Carnival Ecstasy - Cuban Rescue/ Port Change Issue

whatagolfer

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your cruise but no you are not entitled to anything. I think you should be happy that Carnival was able to find a replacement port on such short notice. The cruise contract that you "accepted" when you booked the cruise states that itineraries can be changed due to many reasons and if the ship had been unable to schedule a port for you and you had a cruise to nowhere with no ports then you still would not be entitled to anything.

Is it disappointing to plan a cruise with certain ports, look forward to your excursion and then have all of that changed - YES. Does the cruise line owe you anything at this point - NO.

Whenever you book a cruise you must go into it realizing that things happen that could cause you not to receive the vacation that you planned.

So, my question....Shouldn't Carnival offer us a credit or something? I can tell you that I feel a bit cheated on what I expected and what I actually received. I thought about calling or writing to ask Carnival for something....any ideas, suggestions would be great!

No, they should not. You were not cheated out of anything. End of story.

I wish that people who choose to cruise, would stop and think about what the cruise vacation entails....you are not going to a land based resort, where high seas, weather, or even sea rescues are NOT going to happen....I remember as a first time cruiser, we really had to think about going, because we knew this would be a totally different experience than any land vacation had ever been...but we went with no expectations other than being on vacation...our first port, it took several hours for us to be able to dock because of high seas, so our port time was cut short....no biggie, we thought, it is what it is....

When did people start thinking that EVERYTHING is ALWAYS to be as we plan...because it is NOT ever PERFECT!!!!

Oh we went to Big Bend a couple of years ago, and when we got there they had most of the areas we had hoped to visit CLOSED due to a large fire in the park....if I am to think like all these people griping about this cruise...I should get on the phone with the government and demand some reimbursement for my inability to enjoy Big Bend the way I was EXPECTING to....:rolleyes:

MW,

IMO Carnival owes nothing in this case. As you stated Carnival didn't choose to be diverted and they did pay for a more expensive replacement port. Like you, Carnival did not plan an Eastern cruise either.

Who is at fault? Fidel Castro and the our government's outdated policy of isolating Cuba; it isn't working, never has worked, and never will work. The only people who suffer are Cubans, US Tax payers, and US cruise operators / passengers.

Well said. I agree 100%.

OP, I'm sorry but I find your attitude disgusting and a prime example of what is wrong with the world. Maritime regulations and basic humanity...this is why the ship turned to pick up the 41 people. You yourself said the USCG made the ship turn around. Why don't you sue the USCG? Why do you blame CCL? I just wonder what you would think if you were in need of assistance but the ambulance drove by because they were on the way to get a pizza.

I know you were disappointed in missing Coz, but 41 lives saved v missing a port....

You really have no recourse, as many others have said. You COULD write a letter to CCL, first commending the captain and crew on their actions and professionalism - then mention your disappointment. I think you will get a canned response - "we hope you will sail with us again soon" kind of answer, but it may be worth a try. On such a short cruise it is hard to "make up time" to make the port a bit later than expected. Otherwise, hope you enjoyed the cruise.

When did people start thinking that EVERYTHING is ALWAYS to be as we plan...because it is NOT ever PERFECT!!!!

I love this! While we are fairly new to crusing (only 2 so far and about to book #3), we always did full 2 week vacations when I was younger and we drove everywhere. But, for us if something did not happen it was unusual. We never expected our vacations to be perfect. In fact, we learned to expect the unexpected. It sure made for some fun reminiscing and hysterical memories! I can honestly say that while we never killed our grandmother (who always went with us) or drug a dog down the road, we were the Griswold's when it came to vacation! :D