How would they know?

I've been wondering about this for about a week now and wanted to know how would RCI know if I brought on two bottle of wine and my roomate walked on board, say 20 people behind me carrying her two bottles of wine? How would they know? Or do they?

Anyone ever try this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I've been wondering about this for about a week now and wanted to know how would RCI know if I brought on two bottle of wine and my roomate walked on board, say 20 people behind me carrying her two bottles of wine? How would they know? Or do they?

Anyone ever try this?

Basically they probably wouldn't unless, as they do around the spring break season, they check your wine against your boarding docs and mark the bottles brought on board by stateroom.

I read a thread earlier where a guy had got off the ship to go get two more bottles, 3 times he did this, just him, and his wife had her two as well. That's 8 bottles of wine. Goodness. Too much wine for me.]

Depends on the length of the cruise, doesn't it? Two people on an eight-day cruise, that's half a bottle each per day. Two generous glasses each per day.

I have no problem with that concept with my sweetie on our balcony.

Edited by wassup4565

I was wondering the same thing... if we put two bottles in our suitcase to be brought on board with our luggage (packed carefully and enclosed in plastic just in case :eek:)and then carried 2 bottles on board with us through the x-ray machine - how would they know that we had 4 total? (There are 3 adults in the room - my DH, 21 year old son and myself - easy enough to go through 4 bottles in a week)

On my last cruise in October with my family we had 3 rooms, so between us all we had 6 bottles of wine. As far as I know the only time they saw the wine was while going through security, before getting our sea passes. They never questioned it. We were following the rules but I don't see how they are enforcing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically they probably wouldn't unless, as they do around the spring break season, they check your wine against your boarding docs and mark the bottles brought on board by stateroom.

Yeah right, in most cases they don't check this. You also could put some (good protected) bottles in the luggage you drop at entry.

Well, 4 bottles are ok, but I can't understand people carrying 8 bottles or more. Do you really want to sit in your room the whole day and drink there that much alcohol? Going out, enjoying some wine at dinner, having some cocktails in the bar is much more fun. Sometimes it's nice to stay in the room and have a glass of wine or two, but drinking bottles and bottles alone in the room is really boring.

Just my 2c

Putting the 2 bottles in your check in luggage will make it likely you have to go to the naughty room to get your bag.

We find it very simple to carry 2 bottles on in plain sight and then you are done. 2 bottles, nice to enjoy in your room, no mucking around with will they check them off or will they not.

There are other threads here talking about room attendants/security/whatever can do spot checks on your room. Just have the 2 bottles and feel free to relax when you are on board.

Just my 2c worth.

Putting the 2 bottles in your check in luggage will make it likely you have to go to the naughty room to get your bag.

We find it very simple to carry 2 bottles on in plain sight and then you are done. 2 bottles, nice to enjoy in your room, no mucking around with will they check them off or will they not.

There are other threads here talking about room attendants/security/whatever can do spot checks on your room. Just have the 2 bottles and feel free to relax when you are on board.

Just my 2c worth.

A quick trip to a room to pick up two bottles if wine doesn't sound that burdensome to me, regardless of what people call it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You do not have to all go thru together and they wouldn't know. No way for them to know you carried two bottles in carry on each and two bottles in your checked luggage. AT least on the cruises I have been on. You probably will have to collect your bag on deck 2 after they open and confirm it is your two bottles of wine with a smile. Have fun!

Anyone ever try this?

We just sailed the Oasis over spring break. After we went through the metal detectors, they called us over to a desk & logged in the bottles of wine I had in my carry on & wrote down the cabin number. I think they're logging now, so I'm assuming they might be able to catch it that way.

Anyone ever try this?

They would know because you just told them,have a great cruise.:) :D

Anyone ever try this?

RCI reads Cruise Critic.

Anyone ever try this?

Go ahead and try to circumvent what they are allowing on for wine and they will stop it altogether. Leave it alone and don't talk about it.

The rules seem arbitrary. Two bottles per cabin. Regardless of the number of adults. So a two bedroom rfs with 8 adults gets the same allowance as a single solo cruiser.

At least they allow you to bring something on because they really don't have to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Anyone ever try this?

you do not have to be 20 people apart. Unless you are placing a case of wine up there, I wouldn't worry about it. We've carried two bottles in a couple of carryons which are placed on the security belt with no issues at all. Unless they ask to look in a specific bags, the xray technician doesn't really match up the bag to whom put it on the belt and/or what cabin they wine is going to.

I don't think I would send up any red flags during spring break, but otherwise, you'll probably be fine. What is the worse they can do if you are questioned....take it away. So maybe leave the $100 bottle at home.

I've never had them log in the wine. That would take forever, since most cruisers I know bring wine on board. Again, maybe they do compliance of some sort (percentage) during spring break, but I've never seen this being done. I'll report back after my april 9 cruise, which is actually my first during spring break but we aren't bringing any wine on board this time. :)

Edited by Trekker954

All people in the party have to go through security and check in together.

Not true for us. We have been in separate lines going through security, not to sneak bottles on board but just to expedite the process.