Cruise Insurance for kids

brekin67

Hello,

We are booking a Carnival Cruise for June 2nd. We are booking under the kids sail free promotion. I was going to add trip insurance through insure my trip or travel guard. When I fill in the request for a quote, it asks me for the cost per person. There was no cost for the kids, but I still need them to have trip insurance. This is my first time to purchase trip insurance, can you help me? If I put in the amount as zero, will they still be covered? It does allow me to put in their names as travelers, so I assume they are covered, I just wanted to be sure.

Edited by brekin67

Definitely call about this - insuremytrip.com was great a few years ago when I had questions about whether or not American Airlines flights were covered due to their bankruptcy at the time (they weren't!)

Unless you have very good health insurance with overseas coverage, I'd want medical on the kids. You never know what could happen with kids. Broken bones, appendix, stitches.... make sure they are covered (with airlift coverage also) whether through your own plan or trip insurance.

another thought: in the free cruise certificates that recently went out, if we were to cancel or be a no-show, we would be responsible for the market value of the cruise. Not sure if that would be the case for the kids cruise free promo. We took the insurance with Carnival directly for the $49 just to be sure we would be covered. Just some FYI.

if you paid 500 for passenger 1 and 2 and free for passenger 3 and 4, what exactly are you insuring for passenger 3 and 4?

if you insure for passenger 1 and 2 with the amount of 500 each then you are insuring the total cost of the cruise. I dont think you can insure for a free cruise (passenger 3 and 4).

if something were to happen and you needed to use the insurance policy, you would get 500 for passenger 1 and 2. what would you expect to get from passenger 3 and 4?

if you paid 500 for passenger 1 and 2 and free for passenger 3 and 4, what exactly are you insuring for passenger 3 and 4?

if you insure for passenger 1 and 2 with the amount of 500 each then you are insuring the total cost of the cruise. I dont think you can insure for a free cruise (passenger 3 and 4).

if something were to happen and you needed to use the insurance policy, you would get 500 for passenger 1 and 2. what would you expect to get from passenger 3 and 4?

I get ins. For the medical coverage not for cancellation. If someone needs to be transported off the ship the cost can be 18,000 dollars. Most health insurance will not pay this

OP, didn't you pay taxes and fees for the kids? Wouldn't that be the amount to insure? Maybe I am not understanding Carnival's kids sail free promo. I thought they still paid taxes and fees. I did run into a similar issue like this recently but it was for the RCI kids sail free promo and the kids only paid taxes and fees. When it came time to buy the insurance (it was Travelguard), the kids had to pay a minimum of $30.00 for the insurance premium. It might depend on the specific policy you choose with Travel Guard though. They have different ones with different coverages.

OP, didn't you pay taxes and fees for the kids? Wouldn't that be the amount to insure? Maybe I am not understanding Carnival's kids sail free promo. I thought they still paid taxes and fees. I did run into a similar issue like this recently but it was for the RCI kids sail free promo and the kids only paid taxes and fees. When it came time to buy the insurance (it was Travelguard), the kids had to pay a minimum of $30.00 for the insurance premium. It might depend on the specific policy you choose with Travel Guard though. They have different ones with different coverages.

Taxes and fees are refunded if you cancel so you don't need to insure those typically (although it could factor into a trip interruption benefit.)

When I had to cancel a few years ago (morning of sailing) it took about 2 weeks to get the taxes/fees credited back to my card. My travel insurance required verification of the amounts refunded before they would process the rest of my claim.

Hello,

We are booking a Carnival Cruise for June 2nd. We are booking under the kids sail free promotion. I was going to add trip insurance through insure my trip or travel guard. When I fill in the request for a quote, it asks me for the cost per person. There was no cost for the kids, but I still need them to have trip insurance. This is my first time to purchase trip insurance, can you help me? If I put in the amount as zero, will they still be covered? It does allow me to put in their names as travelers, so I assume they are covered, I just wanted to be sure.

Give them a call.....but I believe its either Travel Guard or Travelex that doesn't charge for kids under 12.....