What is there for kids to do in the Haven common areas?

luv2sleep

certainly a fair point. I dont think anyone will ever argue that rowdy/obnoxious kids are acceptable.

From some of the posts here though, i get the feeling that people simply don't like the fact that the feel like they paid so much for the haven and to find it not as secluded as they thought it should be.

the "I can't possibly share a hot tub with any one that I'm not familiar with" is in line with the same sort of folks that get weirded out when they try Dim Sum for the first time and notice random people getting seated next to them.

I get it, some people really like their personal space. For some people, the personal space extends 1000 sq ft, but it's unrealistic as it still is a "public space" even if your population is smaller. If someone really wants peace and quiet, buy out all of the suites so that no one else can be there. That's exactly what the prince of dubai does when he travels with his family.

I have a young 2 yr old, who will be almost 3 when sailing. He loves the water, but on our last cruise, alot of the bigger kids were just pushing around and crowding that I couldn't use the general pool least any injury may occur so the haven was really the only viable option. We keep our footprint small so as to not take up that much room, but he is a kid and he will laugh and splash. But it still is a public space. He certainly is entitled to laugh and splash (if all fo the water ends up out of the pool and into the rest of the haven, that might be unreasonable).

Can you imagine what someone would say if I went up to them and said, "I don't like the fact that you have so much body hair and you're not wearing a shirt and because I paid for the Haven, you are ruining my enjoyment" Sounds ridiculous right? Hell, you'd probably think i was downright obnoxious.

It's a vacation for everyone, be respectful of others and hope they reciprocate but acknowledge that it's still a public area and everyone else has just as much right to be there as you.

As with Johnny working 60 hours a week and someone paying thousands of thousands, that's a terrible argument. Even in the haven rooms, there are different sizes and costs. If i happened to have a 3br villa does that mean I have more right to the haven then someone who has a 10th floor haven who's not even on the haven lobby level?

but i digress, when i sail, I hope i don't offend anyone and i apologize for my kid in advance and if you want to relax with me, I'm paying corkage for a case of wine to bring aboard.

Well said! And for the record, I have absolutely no issues with well behaved kids. The laughter and fun of kids can be contagious, and it is nice to be around! I just hope the other parents are like you! :)

We normally do not sail when there will be lots of kids on board, as we do not have kids and don't need to plan based on school being out, etc. This year however, since my nephews are coming (18 and 16), we are traveling in June, after school gets out. I already know to expect a lot more kids than we are used to, and that's ok, I just hope the kids in the Haven are not the bratty types! :). I am sure my nephews will be out and about in other areas of the ship. They will find the Haven boring.

certainly a fair point. I dont think anyone will ever argue that rowdy/obnoxious kids are acceptable.

I have a young 2 yr old, who will be almost 3 when sailing. He loves the water, but on our last cruise, alot of the bigger kids were just pushing around and crowding that I couldn't use the general pool least any injury may occur so the haven was really the only viable option. We keep our footprint small so as to not take up that much room, but he is a kid and he will laugh and splash. But it still is a public space. He certainly is entitled to laugh and splash (if all fo the water ends up out of the pool and into the rest of the haven, that might be unreasonable). quote]

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you take a child that young to the children's pool? Seems like it would be a lot more fun for a child that young, and the bigger kids wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by KateQ22003

From some of the posts here though, i get the feeling that people simply don't like the fact that the feel like they paid so much for the haven and to find it not as secluded as they thought it should be.

the "I can't possibly share a hot tub with any one that I'm not familiar with" is in line with the same sort of folks that get weirded out when they try Dim Sum for the first time and notice random people getting seated next to them.

I get it, some people really like their personal space. For some people, the personal space extends 1000 sq ft, but it's unrealistic as it still is a "public space" even if your population is smaller. If someone really wants peace and quiet, buy out all of the suites so that no one else can be there. That's exactly what the prince of dubai does when he travels with his family.

I have a young 2 yr old, who will be almost 3 when sailing. He loves the water, but on our last cruise, alot of the bigger kids were just pushing around and crowding that I couldn't use the general pool least any injury may occur so the haven was really the only viable option. We keep our footprint small so as to not take up that much room, but he is a kid and he will laugh and splash. But it still is a public space. He certainly is entitled to laugh and splash (if all fo the water ends up out of the pool and into the rest of the haven, that might be unreasonable).

Can you imagine what someone would say if I went up to them and said, "I don't like the fact that you have so much body hair and you're not wearing a shirt and because I paid for the Haven, you are ruining my enjoyment" Sounds ridiculous right? Hell, you'd probably think i was downright obnoxious.

It's a vacation for everyone, be respectful of others and hope they reciprocate but acknowledge that it's still a public area and everyone else has just as much right to be there as you.

As with Johnny working 60 hours a week and someone paying thousands of thousands, that's a terrible argument. Even in the haven rooms, there are different sizes and costs. If i happened to have a 3br villa does that mean I have more right to the haven then someone who has a 10th floor haven who's not even on the haven lobby level?

but i digress, when i sail, I hope i don't offend anyone and i apologize for my kid in advance and if you want to relax with me, I'm paying corkage for a case of wine to bring aboard.

The hairy person(s) were on our trip last week - funny you bring that up.

The pool itself is only about 15 feet long by maybe 5 feet wide so it only holds a few people at a time whereas how many suite guests are there on the BA?

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you take a child that young to the children's pool? Seems like it would be a lot more fun for a child that young, and the bigger kids wouldn't be an issue.

I think i was unfortunately enough last cruise to be with some spring breakers that as long as there was water, it didn't matter which pool they decided to crash.

I don't mind sharing my personal space but when it comes to my kids, I make sure no one is around his personal space, even though i have no idea if he minds or not. Weird ain't it?

I was trying to backtrack and find the post that you quoted above - "I can't possibly share a hot tub with any one I'm not familiar with". Could you please direct me to it?

Most of us aren't saying that we aren't willing to share with kids, but instead want parents to be aware that their kids are sometimes "hogging" the facilities and/or causing discomfort for others, and that it might well be possible for all involved to share the very, very, very small space by employing a bit of common courtesy. Splashing in some of the Haven pools will mean they WILL absolutely splash people seated reading around it (sometimes even fully dressed) -it's REALLY that small a space in some Havens (and its not like there is any other space to go -the whole Haven surrounds the small pool). Any splashing in the hot tub will likely splash the faces of anyone else seated in there. The way that you feel about taking your child to the kid's pool is the way a lot of adults feel about sharing the Haven pool with splashing kids - it's not only about peace and quiet. The parents of the "wild kids" in the kid's pool don't feel their kids are doing anything wrong any more than you do. You might even find that your Haven experience might be marred by older "wild kids" acting too rough for your small child all the time (as they often do in the Haven pool) but your argument you would not be permitted to be unhappy about that, after all they have the right to do whatever is allowed at any time, even if you feel it's unsafe for you to take your child in. Even something as simple as taking your child into the hot tub - how would you feel if someone was constantly splashing water in his face?

For those who suggest sailing at non-family times, it doesn't always help. The worst cruise we had, in terms of being unable to enjoy the Haven, was during the first week of December -not a traditional family vacation time. There were not a lot of kids onboard, but it only took one family, who used the Haven as their own personal playroom, to keep us out. We tried to use it, but the hot tub was in constant use by these two children (often it was only one of them) and their toys (swim rings and dozens of floating toys whether they were actually in the water or they were playing in it, fully dressed, from the outside). There was constant running, screaming, throwing the toys all over the small space from the pool to the hot tub and back again... Seriously, all we wanted was maybe one half hour soak during the whole week - we tried 9am, we tried midnight (hot tubs closed for cleaning every night), and various times in between and we were NOT able to use it without sharing it with the flying toys and being hit on the head a few times (we'd be fine sharing the tub with anyone who isn't splashing and screaming, yes, even kids). At least half the time, the parents weren't even present, and the Haven butler was there, mopping up the water, keeping an eye on the kids, I suppose out of general responsibility.

I'm certainly not asking for the Haven to be child-free, only that adults be considered as much as the children once in a while. It is a shared space, and should not be monopolized by one "age group" or another. Like I have said, I've had kids, I've been there and done that. Now I take my adult children in the Haven when they can get time off, so not all families in Haven suites have young children.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

As a general consensus I believe everyone is in favor of admonishing rowdy kids.

And the parent that approached the individual to say "you can use it now" is downright rude. If you acknowledge your kids are hogging the facilities, then it's not only rude but obnoxious.

I'm not ignoring your concerns as I'm sure we all feel the same way one point or another except that if I let it bother me, then I get into this really bad mood where I nitpick at every little thing, so I even force myself not to do it when i'm on vacation. Flipside, I also have no qualms about getting into a hot tub with other people in it =) You think that's tough, try getting on the 4,5,6 line at grand central during rush hour in the middle of summer BEFORE they put in the still ineffective air conditioners. The hot tub would be welcome any day! If there are toys floating around in it for me to play with, even better!

Little kids with no parents though is a big nono to me. I understand throwing your kid somewhere so you can unwind, but then you better make sure they are well behaved. This is where I step out of line and will inform the child that he/she needs to understand the public space is for everyone. If you say it nicely, most kids get the point and understand.

Speaking of social/cultural manners and acceptance, this certainly goes deeper than something to be discussed on a cruise forum. One I would happily take up on a sunny deck with drink in hand, but let's just say I personally believe there is a certain level of manners that us in this society should, and hopefully do, adhere to.

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

I just had a vacation somewhat ruined by unruly kids in the Haven on the Breakaway. The screaming, jumping, running, diaper changing, pool and whirlpool hogs --- it was a zoo! There is so many kid areas and limited adult I wonder why the parents can’t just have some curiosity for us too that paid thousands upon thousands. I love the response well it’s our little Johnny’s vacation too. Did Johnny put in 60 hour work week and pay for it? I am sure CPS would be all over that. It seems the crew is afraid to say anything. On my last cruise, I was not able to use pool; whirlpool and I chose to eat in the specialty restaurants because of the noise and overcrowding. To me my last cruise was a waste of money. So yep kids are not only are allowed .. they can also rule the Haven.

Diaper changing?! Oh geez. People are clueless.

Hi Luv2sleep,

I just got off the Getaway yesterday, March 29, 2014 during Spring Break, after having spent the week in a 2 Bedroom Haven Family suite with my very quiet 13 yr old and my BOISTEROUS ADHD 15 yr old. It was their 10th cruise and they both know to abide by our family rule "DO NOT BOTHER THE OTHER CRUISERS".

This was our best cruise ever, according to both kids. The Haven was full of kids from infants to teens and I did not see any inappropriate, loud or annoying behavior all week. However, I'm a mom, and I have a high tolerance, so what doesn't bother me, may well annoy other cruisers. There seemed to be a lot of multi-generational families in the Haven. There were several kids in the 2-6 year old range who stayed in the pool and hot tubs all week and played with pool toys they brought themselves, but they were well behaved and didn't seem to bother anyone, in fact most people in the Haven adopted them and thought they were adorable. There were a some 7-10 year olds who played for a bit in the Haven, but seemed to leave on a regular basis for a few hours and come back wet, so I'm assuming they were on the sports deck using the kids pool and slides (which are amazing). There were a ton of teens, some hung out in the Haven, getting sun and listening to music on headphones, most seemed to be out on the ship having fun like my son. I saw many games of Marco Polo, and there was a bit of jumping in the pool. The parents stopped the pool jumping right away for safety reasons and no one seemed bothered by Marco Polo. I stayed in the Haven most of the time because it is wonderfully relaxing and I never heard grumbling or saw anyone who seemed annoyed or upset. Keep in mind the Haven sun deck has two floors and four separate areas so if you want quiet you can get it, easily. Most of the people by the pool were families. Most of the quiet people like myself were on the upper deck, mostly because you can see the ocean from there. I ate breakfast and lunch by the pool every day and found the kids charming. Everyone seemed to get along well and everyone was nice to everyone else.

My son spent all his time in the teen club and rarely used the Haven except to eat 3 meals during the entire week. He reports that there are lots of video games (Wii, Xbox, Playstation) and fun structured activities, but that the teens tend not to use them, and create their own social activities. He also used the arcade, but the games are somewhat expensive ($1.50-$5.00 per game), so he only spent $2-3 per day there. My daughter never left my side and loved lounging in the Haven all day during Sea Days and was doted upon by the outstanding staff who kept up a steady supply of smoothies, cookies, fresh fruit and juices: she's spoiled for regular life.

As to your specific situation, there was a family with three boys who looked to be between 6-13. The middle boy seemed to have sensory issues of some sort. At breakfast, his mom and dad explained to the Haven staff that they wanted him to speak directly to the staff and asked the staff to wait for him, instead of trying to interpret what he wanted. I was very impressed by the Haven staff and their care for this young boy and for giving him time to be himself and get the courage to ask for things and make eye contact. He seemed to have a good cruise and even though he had a rough time or two, he wasn't bothering other cruisers and other cruisers let him be himself without making him self conscious.

Your 7 year old will be fine in the Haven and probably enjoy it a great deal. Bring your own blow up pool toys for him and your own video games. The Haven staff is wonderful with kids and adults alike. My daughter has severe allergies and by the end of the first day, every one we came across knew what not to bring to our table and was going out of their way to bring her substitutes they thought she'd enjoy.

I second the previous poster who said to contact the ship ahead of time with your son's preferences. I did that for my daughter's allergy situation and the Haven staff was prepared well for her. She loved them and they were so good with her. Make use of the Haven's Pre concierge email. I made all sorts of requests ahead of time and it was great. For instance I requested, via email, gummi bears and chocolate chip cookies to be in the room when we arrived and they brought them every day after that as well. Horrible for the teeth, but the kids loved it! I also asked them to deliver lobster to the room at 5:00 pm so we wouldn't have to fight the buffet line and I thought my son would die from happiness when the butler showed up with two plates full of lobster. Our butler also made sure, on his own, that we had sandwiches and fresh fruit every afternoon at 4:00pm. When he noticed we always ate the bananas and grapes, he included more of those and none of the fruit we didn't eat.

Contact the Kids Club Staff ahead of time as well. They will call you if he's having a difficult time and ask you to come get him. You can also get him a cheap cell phone and download NCL's iconcierge app so he can text you if he wants to leave. It's $7.95 per phone to download and allows you to call or text other people on the boat at no additional cost. We used it all week.

If your son wants to do activities outside the Haven, you will find the Sports and Pool complex fun, if loud and crowded. I've served my time by the kids pool :) but with headphones and classical music I find it easy to relax there. The Atrium had lots of kids activities with Nickelodeon, if he's into it. There is so much to see and do for a 7 year old. If you want a quiet space, the Library is a good spot.

Have a wonderful vacation and relax, he'll have a great time!

What a wonderful, well thought out response.

really? I don't think NCL can control how one feels about their vacation.

It's like the person who bitches and moans that they were made standing in a waiting area for 15 minutes with no finger foods and water just because they paid for a haven room vs the person who says "oh it's only 15 minutes and there's going to be all you can eat once you get on board".

different strokes different folks.

Some people save up all year to pay for the haven. Some people go on a drop of a dime. I would imagine expectations would be different for either person.

It'd be impossible for a 3rd party to tell someone how they should feel.

I find my dad the best case of the critical old man. He'll ***** and moan about everything even if he enjoys it. "oh that steak was good but it could have been bigger", "oh that room was nice, but i wish it wasn't so blue", "oh that drink was good, but they gave me too much"

Sometimes you just gotta let go. personally, I paid for a vacation and I'll try and make the best of it.

The context I mean is in their marketing. It is contradictory. That's all.

My mother is the opposite of your dad. Everybody loves her. I am blessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids adored the Haven Courtyard. They were 3 and 6 when we sailed in December. Often times the kids would eat their meals there with the Nanny. They loved the pool even though it is tiny. I brought a dozen blow up balls and the Haven Butler put them out each morning. It is just a great space to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So are some parents saying is that the main pools are too crowded for younger kids and that's why some like the Haven pool better for their kids? I'm not taking about the splash areas but the actual pools. I can see how the Haven pool would be appealing. Kids can get into trouble in really crowded pools. Yes you should watch them but I still would prefer that my son swim in a less crowded pool.

So are some parents saying is that the main pools are too crowded for younger kids and that's why some like the Haven pool better for their kids? I'm not taking about the splash areas but the actual pools. I can see how the Haven pool would be appealing. Kids can get into trouble in really crowded pools. Yes you should watch them but I still would prefer that my son swim in a less crowded pool.

It depends on when you go, but for the most part - yes. The main pools are crowded!

The only thing I can think of that's more annoying than someone's kid smacking around a dozen blow up balls in a pool area, would be someone calling and ordering a big pizza. It's a LARGE pizza. Jeesh.

By the way, if I was there, those balls would "accidentally" fly into the ocean faster than little Tommy could say "where's my elevator?"

I was thinking of accidentially poking them with a fork and "pop"! Buh bye LOL

We were just on the Getaway in a 2-bedroom villa. We spent most of our time there and my 8 and 11-yeard old girls really enjoyed it. They played in the (small) pool, did the hot tub or went back to the cabin to watch TV. From time to time, we'd take them to the slides or ropes course for a little more action. And whenever the kids had a special need, we got the butler to assist whether it was getting a snack by the pool in between meal services or candies in the cabin while watching TV. Really, we could not have been happier with our family experience in The Haven.

Here's my video of the Haven:

Any questions, don't hesitate.

Loved your video.

It depends on when you go, but for the most part - yes. The main pools are crowded!

Thanks! I'll have to think it over again. I booked on the Escape and didn't choose a Haven category because it seems like the adults without kids might be a little too grumpy, lol! On Disney kids are just not thought of in the same way. They do have lots of free/included adult only areas though with quiet areas, pools, hot tubs, cafes, nightclubs, etc so I think that helps tremendously.

Edited by luv2sleep

Thanks! I'll have to think it over again. I booked on the Escape and didn't choose a Haven category because it seems like the adults without kids might be a little too grumpy, lol! On Disney kids are just not thought of in the same way. Get do have lots of free/included adult only areas though with quiet areas, hot tubs, cafes, nightclubs, etc so I think that helps tremendously.

Yes, this. If someone is looking for a secluded, tranquil adults-only area with a pool and the other things you've mentioned, you can't beat DCL. In that regard, if someone wants to get away from kids, they might ironically consider Disney!

Thanks! I'll have to think it over again. I booked on the Escape and didn't choose a Haven category because it seems like the adults without kids might be a little too grumpy, lol! On Disney kids are just not thought of in the same way. They do have lots of free/included adult only areas though with quiet areas, pools, hot tubs, cafes, nightclubs, etc so I think that helps tremendously.

I wouldn't worry about the adults without kids. It's the parents who let their kids run wild that are the problem. I do agree with you about Disney. It's the best cruise line for kids, IMO ... but don't get chased out of the Haven because of the grumps.

Ok, at first, this thread was interesting given the OP had some of the same concerns I did. But then it seemed folks just got plain nasty about the presence of children anywhere on a ship.

Enough already!! If children are going to bother you and you KNOW that, don't sail during peak times when the kids are out of school or use your common sense to choose a luxury line where very few kids will be on board.

I'm sorry, but GET OVER YOURSELVES!!! It ain't all about YOU!!!!!