EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

I am enjoying this review...Interesting that all the "featured today" items relate to revenue makers for the cruise line....even the one on how to select a time piece!

I never really previously took notice of the "Featured Today" but one day they had a special on Photos and took them up on it. I liked them.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

How do you post such large photos? Mine always come up real small on CC.

Do you have to upload them to another site and then link to your posts here? Thanks

Before I started the Trip Report I researched a few photo hosting sites and created and paid $60/year for a SMUGMUG account. Why? 1)Main reason is that I can upload to SmugMug directly from my Aperture photo app on my iMac Desktop. 2) I like that you are able to externally link your photos. ie: to here on Cruise Critic. The site gives you quite a few options on how to embed/link your photos. After a few posts on this thread I settled into a common method of posting the pictures. When linking photos it gives you the option of Linking different sizes. I am currently using X-Large in this Trip Report.

Size Example Below:

Tiny:

CE14GW_%25200736-Ti.jpg

Thumbnail

CE14GW_%25200736-Th.jpg

Small

CE14GW_%25200736-S.jpg

Medium

CE14GW_%25200736-M.jpg

Large

CE14GW_%25200736-L.jpg

All the way up to X3 Large

CE14GW_%25200736-X3.jpg

Hope this helped?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Back to Port

Look who I see Mark and Beth returning with bags in their hands. I Didn't see any Go Pro bags in Marks' hands.

CE14HX_%25201917-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I so wanted to buy one! But the price there was no better than in the US. Next cruise is January, I hope to have one then.

Was this a capture from the GoPro? I saw you walking around with it on your hat. :cool:

I so wanted to buy one! But the price there was no better than in the US. Next cruise is January, I hope to have one then.

Was this a capture from the GoPro? I saw you walking around with it on your hat. :cool:

The GoPro is a lot of fun even if you don't use it for all action type things it is marketed at. No! This is not A GroPro Photo is was taken with my Sony Point and Shot.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Magic, Blu, & Sin City

CE14GP_%25200215-XL.jpg

Sailing away from Philipsburg you pass right by Maho Beach and Princess Juliana International Airport. Using the Zoom you can catch planes on the tarmac. A rather large Air France jet ready to take off.

CE14HX_%25202093-XL.jpg

Watched the sunset before getting read for tonights entertainment.

CE14KW_%25200379-XL.jpg

Tonight we were going to Jay Mattioli a magic show before dinner at Blu. Jay is young Magician who was pretty good but, I felt that he took to long and dragged each trick out too long. We saw a Adam Trent on Solstice in 2012 who was also young but was able to keep my attention better than Jay. Sorry! Jay just my opinion.

CE14HX_%25201987%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

After the Magic show we went to Blu for dinner. I had the chicken that was on the entree menu and forgot to take any pictures.

CE14HX_%25202104-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, I am really loving your trip report. My husband and I are doing this same cruise next Jan, and your beautiful pictures are really getting me fired up! Thanks so much for such a great review. Anxiously awaiting your next installment.

Blu, Sin City

Now I may have this mix up with tomorrow night but we went to Sin City. So just pretend that I know what I did and for records let say we went tonight. Okay? Besides I already have it in a heading posted and too late to edit that. Before we left Blu I figured I would get "artsy" with the camera and made everybody go to the other side of the wall and poke their face into the open port. I present to you my Artsy side. Enjoy!

First up with madame Norma Jean Williams a Kindergarden teacher from beautiful Ebenezer, Prince Edward Island.

CE14HX_%25202118-L.jpg

Norma Jean his followed by her husband the most Reverend Kenneth Williams.

CE14HX_%25202119-L.jpg

Up next is the wonderful Mrs Donna K Reid who is so fortunate to have such a great Husband.

CE14HX_%25202121-L.jpg

Lastly with have Kevin James Reid the mild mannered Aerospace Accountant.

CE14HX_%25202122-L.jpg

At least we had fun taking them.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin, I am really loving your trip report. My husband and I are doing this same cruise next Jan, and your beautiful pictures are really getting me fired up! Thanks so much for such a great review. Anxiously awaiting your next installment.

Thanks Lynn for your kind comments. You will love Equinox.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Finishing up Evening

After Blu we took a stroll on the upper open decks. Tonight they were having a special late night Hot Glass Show. I knew there was no way Donna was going to go over to it. Actually I think this is the closest Donna has been to the Hot Glass Show since 2010. LOL!

CE14HX_%25202132-XL.jpg

Last year on Silhouette we took a nice selfie of us with the pool and blue lights in the background so I tried to duplicate that this year with the photo below.

CE14HX_%25202130-XL.jpg

Next is a night time photo of the Library also capturing deck 14.

CE14HX_%25202131-XL.jpg

Sin City Comedy I believe is in its second year with Celebrity. It is held late night in Celebrity Central and is Adult only comedy. The show repeats thru out the cruise and generally is well attended if your are late probably won't get a seat. Personally I love my comedy with an "adult" slant on it. So if you are easily offended by harsh language this is not for you. Oh! Yes by the way I am also a man so I do enjoy the Las Vegas Burlesque start. Now some folks may not like this part either. Again maybe not for you then. The show consists of a video pre-show on the big screen linking back to the "good old days of Vegas". The host comes outs introduces a young woman who does her Burlesque type thing. Host comes back does some comedy and then the nice young woman comes back and then the headliner. We have gone both years and I will go next year. Modern Luxury is also about choices.

So this is officially our latest night of the cruise. I said officially because maybe it was tomorrow night.

CE14HX_%25202137-XL.jpg

Just two more days left of the Ultimate 10 Day Caribbean Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Finishing up Evening

After Blu we took a stroll on the upper open decks. Tonight they were having a special late night Hot Glass Show. I knew there was no way Donna was going to go over to it. Actually I think this is the closest Donna has been to the Hot Glass Show since 2010. LOL!

CE14HX_%25202132-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Oh and look, there's Beth and Mark again! I didn't miss a single show. I am just fascinated by glass blowing.

Oh and look, there's Beth and Mark again! I didn't miss a single show. I am just fascinated by glass blowing.

Mark my friend that is a very good catch. I do see you guys now.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Today cont'd

CT_Day09_032214_Laundry-XL.jpg

Also include in the Celebrity Today package is the Laundry bag Challenge which is a pretty good deal especially when you are doing a B2B. Last year during our B2B we used this coupon at the end of first week. You will be amazed how much you can actually fit in that paper laundry bag. It comes back all nice and folded for a very reasonable price. Laundry is probably the biggest perk that we are looking forward to when we travel the next time as Elite.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Sunrise 2nd Last Day

From the picture below you can see that I am not the only one catching the sunrise. I setup on the aft wake stairs sitting area between Deck 15 and 14 Go Pro and Sony fastened to the rail.

CE14HX_%25202141-XL.jpg

At this time of the morning there is nobody hanging out at the Sunset Bar maybe because it now the Sunrise.

CE14HX_%25202151-XL.jpg

The sun just came out of the Horizon behind the wake.

CE14HX_%25202155-XL.jpg

A pano from the sitting area watching the wake and the rising sun gleaming out of clouds.

CE14iK_%25200084-XL.jpg

A GoPro Selfie shutter activated from iPhone app.

CE14GP_%25200223-XL.jpg

Before headed back down to room picked up a hot chocolate at the Oceanview Cafe Bar.

CE14iK_%25200088-XL.jpg

Still to come on the 2nd last sea day Galley Tour, Tuscan Lunch, Frenzy Shopping and so much more. Stay tuned.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Today cont'd

CT_Day09_032214_Laundry-XL.jpg

Also include in the Celebrity Today package is the Laundry bag Challenge which is a pretty good deal especially when you are doing a B2B. Last year during our B2B we used this coupon at the end of first week. You will be amazed how much you can actually fit in that paper laundry bag. It comes back all nice and folded for a very reasonable price. Laundry is probably the biggest perk that we are looking forward to when we travel the next time as Elite.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hello Kevin,

I am enjoying your post so very much, the pics, the write ups are great.

Just a quick question on the Laundry Special. Is this offered on all or most Celebrity cruises? Not sure if you can answer this. We are going on a 12 day cruise on the Constellation in May. And we will be out almost 20 days, so planning our trip and luggage.

Jason

Hello Kevin,

I am enjoying your post so very much, the pics, the write ups are great.

Just a quick question on the Laundry Special. Is this offered on all or most Celebrity cruises? Not sure if you can answer this. We are going on a 12 day cruise on the Constellation in May. And we will be out almost 20 days, so planning our trip and luggage.

Jason

Hi Jason,

These laundry offers when made are generally nearing the end of each cruise. Getting Celebrity to so some laundry for you is still probably cheaper than the fees the airlines charge for extra luggage even with out the Laundry coupon. We ran out of certain things and just did mini hand wash and hang to dry. We are thinking/looking at Equinox next march for a B2B 3 weeks which would require getting some laundry done.

Thanks for being along for the Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Celebrity Today

Page 1

CT_Day08_032114_1-XL.jpg

Page 2

CT_Day08_032114_2-XL.jpg

Page 3

CT_Day08_032114_3-XL.jpg

Page 4

CT_Day08_032114_4-XL.jpg

Featured Today front

CT_Day08_032114_FT1-XL.jpg

Featured Today back

CT_Day08_032114_FT2-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

thanks for posting this .daily ..we did this itin before but I am enjoying the review very much..great photos!

...Sizzle was a fun party and I was happy to see the music list included orchestra, pop duo, party band, guitarist..all types of music we hsve enjoyed on X......hope not all is axed in favor if the DJ all over

Hi Jason,

These laundry offers when made are generally nearing the end of each cruise. Getting Celebrity to so some laundry for you is still probably cheaper than the fees the airlines charge for extra luggage even with out the Laundry coupon. We ran out of certain things and just did mini hand wash and hang to dry. We are thinking/looking at Equinox next march for a B2B 3 weeks which would require getting some laundry done.

Thanks for being along for the Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Still loving your report. If you wind up doing the B2B on the Equinox you will just LOVE IT! DH and I did this a couple of year's ago for the Christmas/New Year's Holidays and had such a wonderful time. As far as the laundry... I gave most of our "dirty" clothes to laundry towards the end of the first cruise - got it all back clean and folded and we were good to go for the second cruise. Just before the end of that cruise, I sent things out again, this time to lighten my work at home. Nice to come back from a trip and not have piles of dirty clothes to do.

Oh and yes you are correct, so much easier and cheaper, IMHO to have laundry done than pay for extra baggage/weight fees.

I even now don't worry about DH's suit and shirts being wrinkled prior to packing to go on trips anymore. When we get to our cabin (even do this at hotels too) those are the first items out of our bags and given to the steward to have cleaned/pressed. The next day back in room and all ready for use when necessary. Totally stress free days.

:) Allie

Edited by alliebrandy

thanks for posting this .daily ..we did this itin before but I am enjoying the review very much..great photos!

...Sizzle was a fun party and I was happy to see the music list included orchestra, pop duo, party band, guitarist..all types of music we hsve enjoyed on X......hope not all is axed in favor if the DJ all over

You are welcome. In the past I have only scanned the front page. But the peeps love their dailies.

Sizzle we missed that one along with most things going on around the Pool. This conflicted with the ship leaving and I could not miss that.:D

Thanks for sticky around and reading the Trip Report.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Still loving your report. If you wind up doing the B2B on the Equinox you will just LOVE IT! DH and I did this a couple of year's ago for the Christmas/New Year's Holidays and had such a wonderful time. As far as the laundry... I gave most of our "dirty" clothes to laundry towards the end of the first cruise - got it all back clean and folded and we were good to go for the second cruise. Just before the end of that cruise, I sent things out again, this time to lighten my work at home. Nice to come back from a trip and not have piles of dirty clothes to do.

Oh and yes you are correct, so much easier and cheaper, IMHO to have laundry done than pay for extra baggage/weight fees.

I even now don't worry about DH's suit and shirts being wrinkled prior to packing to go on trips anymore. When we get to our cabin (even do this at hotels too) those are the first items out of our bags and given to the steward to have cleaned/pressed. The next day back in room and all ready for use when necessary. Totally stress free days.

:) Allie

Hi Allie,

That B2B is #1 on our wish list. Didn't have to worry about a suit this trip. But next time I think will have Celebrity do my suit for me.

Thanks for continuing to be with me on the Trip Report not much left now.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Blu Steak & Eggs Breakfast

Donna and I really enjoy our sea days you can either be as busy as you want or not. But, you guys already know that. I just keep my self busy doing nothing on these days. For this reason I think we would both enjoy a TA. So after sunrise we just hung around the room for a bit before heading to Blu. Next picture is one of my suction cup mount stuck on the dresser mirror. For the GoPro next trip pretty sure this will not be coming. I think I can find another place to store my GoPro other than on the mirror. That is also the GoPro remote hanging there which I used very little. The Smart phone app is so much better.

CE14GW_%25200837-XL.jpg

We stop off at Cafe al Bacio to get the women their morning hot chocolate.

CE14GW_%25200840-XL.jpg

If I remember correctly they actually did use these area sometimes back in 2010. I think its original idea at the design level it would be a Specialty Dining reception area/host. You don't see it occupied now or least I have not. Photo Snapped on our way to Blu.

CE14GW_%25200847-XL.jpg

When we were seated at Blu we didn't even have to ask/request for Steak and Eggs because they were all prepared for it. Nice! Just like their Modern Luxury commercial says' "knowing the moment before you ask" or something like that.

CE14GW_%25200857-XL.jpg

Around the same time I started this Trip Report there was thread asking "Can I order Steak & Egg in Blu?". OF course in Celebrity Cruise Critic Forum fashion there was the answers of NO. I added my two cents to the debate but couldn't be bothered taking it any further because I knew I was going to share a picture here. So the proof is in the next photo. YES! YOU CAN ORDER STEAK AND EGGS IN BLU.

CE14GW_%25200864-XL.jpg

That is probably my pet peeve about this forum when folks post a question and you get the wrong answer generally from posters that sound like this. "I never tried or done that but this what I think". My favourite is the stateroom TV HDMI hookup debate where you get the "Motel Mode" answer or "No you can't". Those ones I have to give my two cents and link to my answer. Sorry! for hijacking my own post with that. At least I got that off my chest.

A final Blu picture from breakfast.. Donna's poached eggs and bacon.

CE14GW_%25200863-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Post Blu Wandering

Earlier in the cruise there was a Galley Tour and I guess they had a large turn out because they were having another one today at 10:30 AM. So Donna and I wandered around taking pictures until the tour was ready.

First photo a peak into Silk Harvest after exiting Blu.

CE14GW_%25200866-XL.jpg

"Vanna" Donna "White" showing Deck 11 Guide.

CE14GW_%25200877-XL.jpg

The Library

CE14GW_%25200878-XL.jpg

Team Earth. (I think I previously called it Planet Earth) Close enough right?

CE14GW_%25200878-XL.jpg

This next photo would always catch my eye when I would use the stair case. I really liked this idea.

CE14GW_%25200890-XL.jpg

Up next Galley Tour.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Heartbeat of the Operation Galley Tour

Next is the scan of the handout. Donna apologizes for the folds.LOL!

Front page

CE2014_Env_HoO_1-XL.jpg

Inside Left page

CE2014_Env_HoO_2-XL.jpg

Inside Right page

CE2014_Env_HoO_3-XL.jpg

Back page

CE2014_Env_HoO_4-XL.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Galley Tour

CE14iK_%25200096-XL.jpg

On our previous Celebrity cruises Donna and I never attended the "free" galley tour. Last year on Silhouette Ken and I did the "Behind the Scenes VIP Tour" $150 excursion which included a galley tour but there were only 8 of us. Back in 2011 we did do a free Carnival Valor galley tour which was fun.

We all gathered outside of the Silhouette Dining room Deck 3 and were given numbered tour chest stickers. The food and beverage manager stood on stair landing in the MDR and introduced the Head Chef and then all the other head chefs. This is were we found out that the chef who spoke to us in Blu was indeed the head chef of Speciality Dining. Remember how I previously said the Reids don't like to be late? Well we had the #1 tour group stickers on our chest. Which put us in the first group.

CE14HX_%25202192-XL.jpg

Our group was lead by a head chef from Italy I think his area was pastries. We were in groups of about 40. I had the GoPro on my head for the entire tour. I really didn't hear much of what the chef was saying or explaining for the entire tour. The Tour was pretty quick maybe 15 minutes. Pretty neat to see how huge the place is and all that expensive expansive stainless steel.

CE14HX_%25202202-XL.jpg

A young chef at work making desserts.

CE14HX_%25202232-XL.jpg

Just before we exited the galley I took a selfie of Donna and I. I know I look great with that thing on my head.

CE14HX_%25202225-XL.jpg

Like I said they moved the groups thru the galley pretty quick and exited out into the MDR just by the wine tower.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

People Love Deals - Blue Frenzy

Just put up a sign advertising "huge" discounts and people will line up for it. Doesn't matter where we are from Canada, US, UK, Germany we will line up because we think we are getting a deal. I believe it was Michael Kors store that was having a sale on purses and people were lining up before it was even open. Over at the entertainment court of Deck 4 it was a fee for all Frenzy on those blue boxes full of jewellery treasures.

CE14iK_%25200099-XL.jpg

The blue box frenzy below and this picture was taken long after the start of the sale.

CE14HX_%25202253-XL.jpg

Make no mistake about it Donna could not resist the Blue Box Frenzy.

CE14GP_%25200249-XL.jpg

We had a pretty late breakfast and were not very hungry when noon rolled around around. We wanted to attend the Mike Doyle Unplugged at 2:00 PM. We missed out on getting a seat the other night for Mike so we planned to get to Equinox Theatre Early. I was surprised there wasn't more people at this showing there were still seats left. The show was a sit down type one on one interview with Mike by the CD Paul Baya. Mike was not able to sit very long and stood most of the time. Mike shared some wonderful funny stories.

CE14HX_%25202255%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

A selfie picture of us waiting for Mike Doyle to begin.

CE14HX_%25202261-XL.jpg

After the show we ran up to Oceanview to get a quick snack to hold over for Blu.

CE14HX_%25202280-XL.jpg

Coming up Kevin Screws Up. Pretty hard to believe I know?

Regards,

Kevin Reid