Help with 2 Week Self Drive Pre-cruise Itinerary

luv2kruz

I appreciate this forum and would like seasoned advice on my planned itinerary. My budget is planned at averaging approximately $500 per day for my DH and me. We have been to Alaska on 2 other cruises, one of which had a 2 day ANC self-tour.

1. Holland America 7 night round trip Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver where we spent 3 nights in Vancouver precruise and 3 nights in Victoria post cruise.

2. Celebrity Millennium (9 August, 2013) 7 night South Bound Seward to Vancouver that was modified because of propulsion problems to spend 4 days in Seward then straight to Vancouver for disembarkation. (Missed Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point & Ketchikan) While in Seward we visited Exit Glacier, Waterfront Park, Alaska Sea Life Center & Kenai Fjords Tours.

We enjoy independent travel with some hiking, museum, window shopping, local culture, foodie, natural outdoor beauty and a big helping of wildlife. Won't go camping, zip-lining, bungee jumping or sky diving. Have enjoyed sport fishing & meeting people in occasional back packing lodge stays.

We arrive in ANC 6/12 spend night in Anchorage.

On 6/13 pickup rental car downtown Anchorage drive to Denali to catch 1:00pm bus from Denali cabins to Denali Backcountry Lodge for 3 nights. While in Denali we plan nature walks, gold panning & Wonder Lake.

On 6/16 catch the morning bus from Lodge back to rental car to drive to Fairbanks to stay 2 nights. While in Fairbanks we plan to visit the Museum, Pioneer Park, Wedgewood Wildlife Sanctuary & possibly Riverboat Discovery Tours. We are considering only spending one night in Fairbanks and one night at the Lodge at Black Rapids to shorten the drive to Chitina.

On 6/18 drive to Chitina to catch Wrangell Mount Air @ 5:45pm to McCarthy & Kennicott Glacier Lodge for 3 nights.

On 6/21 flight back to Chitina, drive to Valdez spend night at Harbor Inn.

On 6/22 take Alaska Marine Highway Ferry to Whittier then the1:00m or 2:00pm tunnel to drive to Homer, spending 4 nights in Homer.

On 6/26 drive back to Anchorage, drop off the car, spend 1 night in Anchorage.

On 6/27 take the 6:45am morning AKRR to Seward & board Celebrity Millennium for 7 night Southern Glacier Cruise.

The cruise has stops in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan and Vancouver. It helps us that we have been on the two other cruises but have not car traveled in Alaska so much as now planned for this year. That is where we need feedback.

Another concern is what kind of bug spray should we buy? The major concern is does the itinerary seem logical before I lock in all the reservations. I have made most reservations but still can make changes up to 45 days prior to avoid most fees.

Thank you in advance for your expert advice.

You will need 100% Deet, you can buy that in Alaska.

You have several long drive days. Have you planned what you are doing with the extended destination days? It seems like you are rushing to get one place to the next. Just make sure, you use the time wisely.

I would stay 2 nights in Valdez, plenty to see and do, and excellent boat tours.

Your first day is rushed to Denali. Adding a day here would be of benefit.

Driving to Chitina is very time consuming. Your time in Fairbanks, is already short, and your drive lengthy. This is a place to add a day as well.

Why all the time in Homer? Bear watching, fishing?

In my opinion, the route and days you have planned are really 2.5 to a 3 week trip.

Last comment, why backtrack to Anchorage, when you are going to Seward. Using time, better spent elsewhere, just to return a car. Time management would be superior with a one way rental, even with the added cost.

Seems reasonable to me, except on 6/13. With road construction on the Parks Hwy this summer give yourself 6 hrs to reach Denali. If you're catching a 1pm bus, you need to give yourself time to park, unload, pick up tickets, board. So you should be there by noon which means on the road by 6/6:30am. What time does the car rental open?

On 6/16 catch the morning bus from Lodge back to rental car to drive to Fairbanks to stay 2 nights. While in Fairbanks we plan to visit the Museum, Pioneer Park, Wedgewood Wildlife Sanctuary & possibly Riverboat Discovery Tours. We are considering only spending one night in Fairbanks and one night at the Lodge at Black Rapids to shorten the drive to Chitina.

On 6/21 flight back to Chitina, drive to Valdez spend night at Harbor Inn.

On 6/22 take Alaska Marine Highway Ferry to Whittier then the1:00m or 2:00pm tunnel to drive to Homer, spending 4 nights in Homer.

This is an interesting itinerary, and is doable.

Does the reference to "the Museum" in Fairbanks refer to the Museum of the North? Also consider the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.

The Alaska Range around Isabelle Pass is one of my favorite areas of Alaska, as is the Wrangell-St. Elias area. The drive from Fairbanks to Chitina is long, so the Black Rapids Lodge would be a great place to stop but be sure that you have reservations.

We stayed at the Harbor Inn in Valdez last summer and you might want to re-consider that choice. As the hubby and I were pulling in to the parking lot I said something to the effect of "OH NO -- this is the old Westmark!" Mr. Aurora said something to the effect that it didn't look like the old Westmark. I told him that the building has been re-sided and the entrance to the lobby has been changed somewhat but I was sure it was the old Westmark (which had been sold in the 1990s or thereabouts). As soon as we walked inside Mr. Aurora had to acknowledge that Mrs. Aurora was correct.

We had the misfortune to stay at the old Westmark (now the Harbor Inn) in 1992 when the Alaska State Science Conference was held in Valdez. I was in a room on the second floor, and couldn't get to sleep due to incredible noise issues. I could actually hear someone snoring, so went out in the hall way, and the snoring was emanating from a room on the other side of the corridor and four or five rooms down. This past summer we were in an end room (thank goodness as we only had folks on one side of us) and could actually hear folks next door brushing their teeth in their bath. The sound proofing in this structure must be essentially nil.

Northern Aurora, what would be a better option in Valdez? The BW Harbor Inn is ranked the #1 hotel on TripAdvisor, even though it's mostly "very good" not excellent in ratings. We're going in May and didn't see anything better.:confused: Maybe a B&B instead??

Hubby and I spent two nights at the BW Harbor Inn last July, and in was comfortable (except for the lack of a/c, and who would have dreamed we would have needed that in Valdez lol).

It is an older motel but it was nicely maintained and they offer a very nice breakfast in the mornings. It's also located just steps from the small boat harbor, so if you decide to do a Prince Williams Sound tour, it couldn't be more convenient.

We took the Stan Stephens Columbia Glacier tour and it was fabulous. If you are buying a Toursaver coupon book, you'll find a two-for-one coupon for this tour.

I loved Valdez. I think it is the most beautiful part of Alaska that I have seen to date.

Northern Aurora, what would be a better option in Valdez? The BW Harbor Inn is ranked the #1 hotel on TripAdvisor, even though it's mostly "very good" not excellent in ratings. We're going in May and didn't see anything better.:confused: Maybe a B&B instead??

This is the other big hotel in town: http://www.mountainskyhotel.com/

If you want something fun and different, the "cabins" at the Eagle's Rest RV Park work: http://www.eaglesrestrv.com/rentals.html

Carol & Jim: While I don't know how old the BW Harbor Inn is, I wonder if it was built during the construction of the Trans-Alaska pipeline. It just has that "look" about it and there certainly was some cheap construction of buildings during that time period. While I agree with kcbbq that the facility is at least adequately maintained (although very dated in decor), given the minimal soundproofing I doubt that I would stay there again. Consider AKStafford's suggestions as he (or she?) is another Alaskan and I find his posts very accurate.

And we have been to "Hang town" and thought it was a hoot.

Thank you for your help. I have changed the plan to stay at Deneki Lakes B & B on 6 /13 then take the 6:00am bus to Denali Backcountry Lodge for 2 nights then one night in Fairbanks. Right now I am waiting to hear back from a spot btwn Fairbanks & Chitina for a overnight stay before we stay 3 nights at Wrangel-St. Elias NP (Kennicott). I looked at other alternatives in Valdez and am open for suggestions. Friends have told me to be sure and allow enough time in Homer. Still concerned about the bugs.

I appreciate you input. I will monitor all input.

luv2kruz

For fine tuning, you don't list your activities. But I would suggest you take a good look at them. In my opinion, Fairbanks is a 2 night stop, and Kennicott is 2, Valdez is 2. Just because someone is telling you to have "time" in Homer, 4 days is a lot of time. If doing a bear tour, 3 is usually enough.

Taking a good look at the time spent and now, knowing how you are going to occupy your time could make better adjustments with your itinerary. In my opinion, ideal, this plan needs some extra days, the way it is now.

No one is looking for this information on this board, but consider it yourself and figure it out now, before you get into any more reservations. Adjusting time now is superior to having marathon driving, and or/ "nothing" days perhaps.