Mobility Accommodations

lunagirl

My husband and I are considering our first cruise with the kiddos for fall break in October. Our son will be six and our daughter will be 5. While we have cruised multiple times, this will be our first cruise with the small fries.

Our daughter has CP that limits her mobility. She has limited mobility and uses a walker when she is walking a distance and because it has a fold-down seat if she gets tired. She can walk up to about 385 steps without the walker and can hold our hands to walk if the ground is unlevel (beach, gravel, etc).

We have taken the kids to the beach, Disney World, etc and not had an issue. We used a stroller when we needed it.

HOWEVER...she is pretty sensitive to heat and can not stand for long periods of time. We would book FTTF, but we are looking at the Western Caribbean and would have two tender ports (Belize & G.C.) Do the cruise lines make accommodations during embarkation, muster drills, etc?

Also, does anyone have any experience with kids with special needs in Camp Carnival? My daughter is potty trained and does not have any cognitive or social issues, just issues with 3 muscle groups in her legs.

Thanks for any information or experiences!

Carnival holds muster drills in lounges, so if you go early, you can get seats and avoid the 'standing room only' for latecomers. You should ask on the Carnival board for your particular ship. As far as embarkation goes, when they see your daughter using a walker, they will probably take you in early, so that she doesn't have to stand, and board you with others with special needs, after Platinum. But again, as on the Carnival board for specifics for your ship and port. You should not have to wait for a tender if you don't have to be among the first groups off the ship. EM

When we did our mustar drill on the Valor I was told to go to the library. There were seats for everyone, even my wife and sister in law. I rented a scooter, but also take my rollator walker. I can do about 200 steps before sitting. Just remember, the ships are about three football fields long. Also, when waiting on an elevator, dont hesitate to go up to go down, or down to go up. It sure is easier. I do not know about the kids program, but, sure have read great thinks about it. I think all will be fine.

Don't worry about muster drill, just go a little earlier, while the elevators are still working. I am an adult with a cane, and they always find a seat for me. For a child with a walker - there will definitely be a seat.