Suite questions

I've been in outside rooms for most of my cruises, and had the wonderful opportunity to have a balcony room on one of our last cruises. For my next cruise, we will have a balcony also.

I'm contemplating a cruise in 2015 that may have a suite involved. I have heard at times that a junior suite isn't worth it - it's just a bit bigger than a balcony room. Is that true?

I was considering a grand suite, and got to thinking about the different ships, and whether or not a junior suite, grand suite, etc. is pretty much the same from ship to ship.

What are your thoughts? I haven't made any kind of decision yet, but I've considered Vision, Liberty or Enchantment. Any input would be appreciated.

The big difference between a junior suite and grand suite or above that makes a difference to most people is you'll have access to the concierge lounge, meaning free drinks every night between 5 and 8:30 p.m. There are many other perks that goes along with grand suites and above. Junior suites gets you the double points, but other than that and a bigger room, the other suite perks do not apply

How much different are the rooms, other than being bigger? I'm wondering if there is a difference in the size of the bathrooms. are there tubs? Any tables in the room that you could use to eat?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Everyone has different preferences. For some people, just having extra room is reason enough to get a suite, and a junior suite is sufficient. Others want more service when they cruise, and having a concierge is important to them.

Junior suites are different on the different types of ships, so you need to look at deck plans and room plans for all the ships you are considering. For instance, most of the Jr Suites on Radiance class ships have a walk-in closet, while those on the Vision class do not.

Think about what you want, what you want to spend, where on the ship you want to stay (do you need an aft view? I don't know of any aft Grand Suites), how big a room you want/need, and look over what amenities are given to suite passengers above the jr suite level.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Once you do that, then you will have a better idea of what YOUR ideal cabin will be, and you can decide where to go from there.

How much different are the rooms, other than being bigger? I'm wondering if there is a difference in the size of the bathrooms. are there tubs? Any tables in the room that you could use to eat?

Besides the Grand Suite being larger than a Jr. Suite, on any given ship, the things that we love about a Grand Suite:

The bedroom is curtained off from the living room. My DW loves to nap, in the dark, while I can read in the light of the living room. We love the extra real estate provided in a GS.

We enjoy eating in on occasions. The table on the balcony actually makes a great dining table, and we just have the coffee table moved by the bed, and room service will set up the dining table with a linen table cloth, and with the two living room arm chairs, and soft music going in the CD/DVD, we enjoy our evenings.

There are two sinks in the bathroom, and enough room for two people, which is great when trying to get ready for the day or evening.

We also enjoy entertaining on occasion, and the living area allows us to have two couples in for a glass of wine and cheese (grab it from the Windjammer), as the couch sits 3, plus the two arm chairs and the dressing table chair. Works great.

There are many other ammenities, that can be found on the Royal Caribbean website, or will be listed by a few that keep up to date on everything that RC offers.

Hope this helps.;)

Rick

(do you need an aft view? I don't know of any aft Grand Suites)

Brilliance has an aft Grand Suite on Deck 10. May be the case for the other Radiance class ships as well, but I'm to lazy to check deck plans right now. :o

Yes, there are tubs in suites.

The GS has a table on the balcony that is a good height for eating. Other tables are coffee table height.

Edited by nolesrule

Thank you for all the great info, everyone. This would be a pretty big treat for us if we go this route. I've been using the RCI site for pictures, but they are pretty small. I think a few perks and some extra space would be nice. The more info I get, the better. :D

Just got off the Allure today and got tour of the Aqua Theatre Suite on Deck 8 and thought it quite nice, with a gorgeous balcony. View to theatre and rear (aft) of ship were pretty fantastic. Anyone know on the Oasis what the room # for this would be on same deck?

Brilliance has an aft Grand Suite on Deck 10. May be the case for the other Radiance class ships as well, but I'm to lazy to check deck plans right now. :o

We had the aft GS 1600 on the Brillance. It is the corner, the cabin is laid out different than the other GS we have stayed in. Closet is much smaller. Our balcony was smaller than the JS next door. No shade. First Aft and will probably go back to midship GS

Yep, Serenade definitely has one; believe it's cabin 1600.

We had the aft GS 1600 on the Brillance. It is the corner, the cabin is laid out different than the other GS we have stayed in. Closet is much smaller. Our balcony was smaller than the JS next door. No shade. First Aft and will probably go back to midship GS

Thanks for following up on what I wrote. We booked another Brilliance cruise while on her last week. We were staying in 9656 which is the two bedroom suite just below 1600. Two of the choices for available GS were 1600 and 1556, which is on the hump next to the Royal Suite. I picked 1556 and your comment assured me I made the right choice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

We only book JS's....it's MUCH roomier than a standard balcony, and without that high "suite" price! Of course, you don't get the "free" drinks in the CL...but you aren't paying for them, either! A JS is most like a hotel room, sizewise.

Edited by cb at sea

Just got off the Allure today and got tour of the Aqua Theatre Suite on Deck 8 and thought it quite nice, with a gorgeous balcony. View to theatre and rear (aft) of ship were pretty fantastic. Anyone know on the Oasis what the room # for this would be on same deck?

L2 category facing aft: 1722, 1724, 1726, 1728, 1730, 1732 1734, 1736, 1738

L1 category facing starboard and port: 1702, 1704, 1706, 1708, 1710, 1712, 1714, 1716, 1742, 1744, 1746, 1748, 1750, 1752, 1754, 1756.

I did a GS once, because the price was hard to walk away from ... believe it or not, the price difference between a JS and a GS when I called was $100 (Total ... not per person). It was quite a treat. Although both cabin types have a tub, there is a great deal more floor space in the bathroom ... and yes, double bowl sinks. The space is so much more gracious, in that you don't always feel like you have to move out of your cabin mates way so they can get where they are going. However, for the money it normally costs to upgrade to a GS, I doubt I will ever do it again. I am rather hooked on the JS though. For me, it is generally worth the upcharge to get a JS now instead of a balcony.

We have never had the pleasure of a OS or GS. Although we have been in them on a cabin crawl. JS is as large as we have gone.

I love a JS over a balcony. Tub and walk-in closet, plus room to walk. Because we are Diamonds the benefits of a larger suite are not worth the price. We can get just about the same benefits from the Diamond Club as the Concierge lounge. Special seating at venues is not an attraction.

Don't get me wrong, if I could afford a larger suite maybe my opinion would change. I would rather get a balcony on TWO cruises for the same price as a Suite on only one cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by steveru621

We only book JS's....it's MUCH roomier than a standard balcony, and without that high "suite" price! Of course, you don't get the "free" drinks in the CL...but you aren't paying for them, either! A JS is most like a hotel room, sizewise.

We usually book a JS for the space and the tub, unless the price difference to get a GS is what we consider reasonable.

Thank you for all the great info, everyone. This would be a pretty big treat for us if we go this route. I've been using the RCI site for pictures, but they are pretty small. I think a few perks and some extra space would be nice. The more info I get, the better. :D

I paid $500 more for the JS for myself and my mom this month and NEVER LOOKED BACK! Well, except that it practically ruined me for any other type of room!!!

You can literally do cartwheels in that room! The balcony is to die for. The walk-in closet, the separate living area...the total package is like an upscale hotel suite. The tub with lavender bubbles? Oh, yeah!

Here's the risk(s). All "suites" are NOT created equal on all ships. For example, I would not pay anywhere near the same $ I spent on RCCL for a suite on Carnival. It just doesn't cut it, from what I've seen in the pictures. Although RCCL standard cabins are smaller than Carnival, the JS tops them all except for the really crazy expensive owner's cabins or captains quarters, whatever Carnival calls them. Now, this coming from someone who would jump at the chance to get back on the Breeze in an interior cabin...it's just no other JS (that I've seen in pictures) matches RCCL!! Also, be careful because even on RCCL the JS are different on each ship class. Ours was on Freedom. 9334.

From my experience I found the GS on the Independence is larger than on the Oasis and the Legend.

For 2 people it is my first choice when adding up all the perks and double points.

Cruising singularly it is very EXPENSIVE - which is why a lot of D & D+ book interiors, oceanview and balconies.

I think there is a good chance I will end up in a suite soon. I will just have to weigh out the cost versus benefits and see how the pricing is. I'm all for the space advantage. I'm not sure how many perks I would be using.