Noro isn't just for cruise ships

jgnova

I just spotted an article about norovirus at University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown - thought I'd share proof that it's more widespread then people realize:

http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2014/03/31/apparent-norovirus-pitt-johnstown

j

Considering that about 21 million Americans get Noro every year and bit over a thousand of those are on cruise ships it is obvious to everyone but the news media that it occurs everywhere.

Considering that about 21 million Americans get Noro every year and bit over a thousand of those are on cruise ships it is obvious to everyone but the news media that it occurs everywhere.

Absolutely. That's why I posted this - one of the few times a non-cruise outbreak made (a limited distribution) news release.

j

When we left on our Equinox cruise 3-14 my mother's senior independent living apartment building was under quarantine for a "GI virus." They quarantine everyone until the the last sick person is symptom free for 48 hours. Thankfully, my mom didn't get it, but certainly it's a reminder that no gathering of people is immune.

Right. My mother's senior living place was the same. She experienced two lockdowns while she was there. They could not leave their rooms and all meals were brought to them. Fortunately, she had a door to the outside and a patio, so it wasn't quite like being in prison, but pretty close.

I read recently that there was often a high incidence in the spring when a lot of people start hiking the Appalachian Trail at about the same time. Now that wouldn't be fun at all!:eek:

Thanks for posting, S.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl