Baggage Transfer Mexico City

travelplus

I would be most appreciative if someone here has access to SABRE/Amadeus to look up the Baggage Agreement between AeroMexico and TAM. Here is the itinerary:

AeroMexico 665

SFO 12:45 AM

MEX 07:06 AM

TAM 8113

MEX 7:45 PM

GRU 7:06 AM+1

We are booked on JJ Ticket Stock(957 ticket#.

What I wanted to know and confirm is do we checkin with AeroMexico at SFO and they will tag our bags and give us boarding passes to GRU? I know that we must clear customs and change terminals in Mexico City so I'm assuming we will take our luggage before clearing customs and re-check it with TAM or is there a "Transit counter" in the TAM terminal who will take our bags?

Since we have a 12 hour layover and booked a 5 hour tour we do not want to have to lug our bags around all day or lock it in a locker.

Your assistance is most appreciative. I spoke with Delta who is partners with AeroMexico on this portion and they have an iterline agreement with TAM so i'm assuming that we can recheck our bags in the TAM Terminal.

I guess my second question should be will the TAM desk be open in the morning or at least a transfer desk that can take our bags.

I know at SFO there is a transfer conveyor belt that you can put your bags on and they will be forwarded to your next flight no matter what terminal its departing out of.

I know Mexico Ciity is a different situation so anyone who has done this and/or who has access to SABRE/Amadeus(which I don't have access to) can provide me with their Interline agreement via the IATA agreement.

Greattam or FlyerTalker if you have advice or tips please let me know. I have been Googling all over for the info and could not find the proper information and want out bags to be there when we arrive at GRU.

I do not mean to make this complicated but once back in the 70s my Parents flew back to the states from Guadalajara and their luggage was stolen. Now I know its not the 70s but I would rather be safe than sorry and not make a mistake by leaving my bags on the conveyor belt before clearing customs thinking they are going to transfer it for us.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by travelplus

Sorry, but I cannot speak to your exact situation. A bit close though. Have done an international to international connect at MEX where AM was the inbound carrier and it was about a 5 hour connect. AM through checked my bag from AM to AS without issue. In that case, after arrival at MEX it was immigration control, luggage collection, then a customs inspection, and finally a bag dropoff in the area between the inspection area and the landside exit. Be sure you go to the correct luggage collection area - there is one directly ahead of you, but that only has one carousel. Most likely, you will angle right after immigration.

After the customs x-ray machines, the dropoff area is to the far right before the landside exit. Do NOT go through any doors after the x-ray machines until your luggage has been dropped. In the T2 luggage area, carts are available for a fee (either 10 pesos or $1). Have new singles available - I had a couple used bills rejected by the machine.

Don't know about your tour details and pickup/dropoff spot, so here is general info that may be useful to some.

To then get to T1, leave the customs area, then turn right. Go all the way to the end where you can get an elevator to the departures level. There will be signs pointing you to the T1 train. Two notes: 1) You must have a connecting BP to use the train. 2) You cannot take the cart with you on the train. There is also a landside bus connecting the terminals.

Within T1, there are several departure zones. TAM is in the middle one, IIRC. Can't speak to the question of left luggage facilities.

MEX website is http://www.aicm.com.mx/en/

As a follow-on to your question: I have an upcoming AM-AM connection at MEX that requires a forced overnight, with about 16 hours between flights. I can't get a definitive answer as to whether AM will hold the bags overnight and make the connect or if I need to keep them overnight. Given some security issues, I may just short-check them to MEX or not bag-drop, since I'm staying overnight within T2 at the NH. Any input would be appreciated.

Hope that helps you out. FWIW, you are transiting the two busiest airports in Latin America. GRU is #1 and MEX is #2.

Have a Brahma or Antarctica while in Brasil, and maybe pick up some Bossa Nova or MPB CDs that you can't find in the USA. I scored some great ones on my most recent foray south. Write if you need more info and I'll see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but I cannot speak to your exact situation. A bit close though. Have done an international to international connect at MEX where AM was the inbound carrier and it was about a 5 hour connect. AM through checked my bag from AM to AS without issue. In that case, after arrival at MEX it was immigration control, luggage collection, then a customs inspection, and finally a bag dropoff in the area between the inspection area and the landside exit. Be sure you go to the correct luggage collection area - there is one directly ahead of you, but that only has one carousel. Most likely, you will angle right after immigration.

After the customs x-ray machines, the dropoff area is to the far right before the landside exit. Do NOT go through any doors after the x-ray machines until your luggage has been dropped. In the T2 luggage area, carts are available for a fee (either 10 pesos or $1). Have new singles available - I had a couple used bills rejected by the machine.

Don't know about your tour details and pickup/dropoff spot, so here is general info that may be useful to some.

To then get to T1, leave the customs area, then turn right. Go all the way to the end where you can get an elevator to the departures level. There will be signs pointing you to the T1 train. Two notes: 1) You must have a connecting BP to use the train. 2) You cannot take the cart with you on the train. There is also a landside bus connecting the terminals.

Within T1, there are several departure zones. TAM is in the middle one, IIRC. Can't speak to the question of left luggage facilities.

MEX website is http://www.aicm.com.mx/en/

As a follow-on to your question: I have an upcoming AM-AM connection at MEX that requires a forced overnight, with about 16 hours between flights. I can't get a definitive answer as to whether AM will hold the bags overnight and make the connect or if I need to keep them overnight. Given some security issues, I may just short-check them to MEX or not bag-drop, since I'm staying overnight within T2 at the NH. Any input would be appreciated.

Hope that helps you out. FWIW, you are transiting the two busiest airports in Latin America. GRU is #1 and MEX is #2.

Have a Brahma or Antarctica while in Brasil, and maybe pick up some Bossa Nova or MPB CDs that you can't find in the USA. I scored some great ones on my most recent foray south. Write if you need more info and I'll see what I can do.

FlyerTalker Thanks so much for your help. BTW How was AeroMexico? I'm flying in Economy Class and they say they give a Complimentary Cold Meal and Alcoholic Beverages.

In Mexico City we found a Private Tour for 5 hours for $120 for both of us. They will pick us up from the TAM terminal and drop us back at the airport. Other tours were going for $40 a person but we had to make our way to the city center. The private Tour is with Royal Cars and Tours and they use luxury vehicles. The tour will take us to the Anthropology Museum, City Center and for lunch before returning to the airport at 2 PM.

We found our airfare for $474 per person on Aero Mexico/TAM so we thought rather than spending our time in the terminal to take a tour of Mexico City and then go to the United Club with two day passes that I got from my Credit Card and spend time there before we go on our flight.

I hope our bags will make it so we are planning to arrive SFO about 3 hours before the flight.

Thanks again FlyerTalker for the info. I will have an Antinca Caiprinha and some good Brazilian Food.