New cd role and new postions

First let me say that i am a loyal carnival cruiser. You can see by my past post that i am always defending them here. With that said i really do not like the new postions. Many of you will say a cd will not make or break your cruise. I on the other hand see the cd as part of the ship. Since i am one who enjoys the cruise itself and do not cruise just for the ports. It seems like carnival are slapping the current CDs in the face with a demotion. From what i read on fb they are creating an entertaiment director to be the head of the department and media manager to print funtimes and select movies. So basically a cd now will only be an emcee. I know this is just trivial, but as one who enjoys cruise directors i feel sorry for them. They are being demoted and i think it is unfortunate . Sorry for ranting. This is my first negative post agianst carnival. Just my humble opinion.

JH mentioned this during our cruise on the Sunshine. Not in specifics but from what I understood the idea was that they were trying to make some changes so the cruise director had more time to interact with the passengers. So maybe by having some help with the behind the scenes work, they will be out more in the scenes :)

First let me say that i am a loyal carnival cruiser. You can see by my past post that i am always defending them here. With that said i really do not like the new postions. Many of you will say a cd will not make or break your cruise. I on the other hand see the cd as part of the ship. Since i am one who enjoys the cruise itself and do not cruise just for the ports. It seems like carnival are slapping the current CDs in the face with a demotion. From what i read on fb they are creating an entertaiment director to be the head of the department and media manager to print funtimes and select movies. So basically a cd now will only be an emcee. I know this is just trivial, but as one who enjoys cruise directors i feel sorry for them. They are being demoted and i think it is unfortunate . Sorry for ranting. This is my first negative post agianst carnival. Just my humble opinion.

I appreciate your passion, but I must admit that I don't even know who the CD's were on any of our cruises, except for the first one on the Glory (it was John Heald) and he drove us crazy.

We get so turned off by the craziness, the constant babble, etc. but that may be an age thing.

We do cruise for the ports of call, but also for some solitude on board. We enjoy nothing better than finding a quiet, relaxing place far from the maddening crowds to read/play a board game and have a drink(s).

Since Carnival just brought in the CD's for a confrence who's to say that this wasn't something that the CD's presented . Too early to start with judgement about how the CD's feel and if their victims of these new changes unless you have personally heard from the CD's telling you this.

From what I got from a quick read is that it's a welcome change as people have no idea how much behind the scenes the CD has to do and give the CD much more time with passengers.

Let's not start looking at the glass half empty without knowing what's really going on.

Edited by Midwestgal

Since Carnival just brought in the CD's for a confrence who's to say that this wasn't something that the CD's presented . Too early to start with judgement about how the CD's feel and if their victims of these new changes unless you have personally heard from the CD's telling you this.

From what I got from a quick read is that it's a welcome change as people have no idea how much behind the scenes the CD has to do and give the CD much more time with passengers.

Let's not start looking at the glass half empty without knowing what's really going on.

It is just my observation and personal opinion.... I feel bad even entertaining a negative thought agianst carnival lol. I probably should have waited to hear more details before making a judgement. I just see it as a demotion.

Often times companies will reclassify positions with name and responsibility changes. Generally these changes do not come with a pay-cut. (Although with CCL, its hard to guess)!

They may just be getting re-classified, not necessarily demoted.

I know they have in the past had other behind the scenes responsibilities, just like an MD, but I've NEVER seen them any more than an MC.

The good ones excelled, the blah ones did alright. But the bad ones? They really made the shos awful and painful.

But they also set the tone for the whole cruise starting right from the welcome aboard show.

But worse, was watching some of them doing other peoples material that you'd seen before. Thank /od most are gone, like Mark Hawkins and Bret Alans. Malcolm is also not on my list of past favorites either.

But maybe this change is going to make them more visible and accessible, as many you never even see except when its showtime. However, that's what I also thought when they added assistant cruise director and social host positions. I found that just made them less visible.

I wonder if anyone on board will even notice the difference. Just stop shouting at me throughout the day, please..

Edited by Pine Bluff

It is just my observation and personal opinion.... I feel bad even entertaining a negative thought agianst carnival lol. I probably should have waited to hear more details before making a judgement. I just see it as a demotion.

Don't sweat it.

JH has a list of jobs CD's have to do and most people would neve think it's a job of the CD. I'm thinking from his words is that it's a welcome thing.

The more we cruise, CDs are increasingly more an annoyance than positive addition. The incessant chatter interrupts our conversations with others. The Fun Times have all the info we need for each day. Emcee service for shows would be plenty. Recently, the CD actually screwed up debarkation, due to her ignorance.

The announcements don't bother me. I see it as them guiding the activities along. I'm not impacted by who the CD is or what he or she does. But I imagine it is a lot of work. More than we see (or hear). Don't be disheartened OP. It may be a good thing for the CDs - help take the weight off - and give more responsibility to the assistants so they can learn and grow. Try to look at it in a more positive light. :o

For me, I don't care about the CD, but from what I read of the announcement, CCL is trying to allow the CD to be what the position was 20 years ago, being more visible on the ship and more interaction with PAX, so giving the CD the new positions under him/her will allow them to have more time devoted to being the CD that people who love CD's want.

I would have to disagree, I don't think it is a demotion but rather taking away some of the management type things that have been added to their duties over the past few years that have actually taken away from the original purpose of a Cruise Director. Probably cost cutting measures at the time.

I think this is something that will allow the CD to be more visible to the guests and for them to interact more and to me that would allow them to do a better job of providing the "beards" as John Heald calls them with feedback directly from the guests.

See, I'm one of those who rarely notices the CD unless he/she is obnoxious and intrusive (ie Jen Baxter).

IMHO, the CD's job is NOT to be Head Comedian. :mad:

The CD's job is to keep things running smoothly; to have activities available should we want them; to time activities so that all the "good" stuff isn't overlapping yet have big lapses where there's nothing much going on.

That sort of stuff. Not to run around the ship waving and having pics taken with passengers. I mean, seriously. Who cares? I just don't understand why anyone feels the need to interact with the CD. Do you put that in your Cruise Scrapbook when you get home? :rolleyes:

Wonder if this is the main reason Risa left Fantasy. She was too efficient, not silly/stupid enough, and just kept that old ship running smoothly and like a ship 20 years younger. :mad:

I'm not into the whole CD thing myself but many are and that's great. Different strokes for different folks, don't knock them.

I did enjoy Josh Waltzman AKA The Big Sexy however just due to his silliness and always happy to see you attitude.

The more we cruise, CDs are increasingly more an annoyance than positive addition. The incessant chatter interrupts our conversations with others. The Fun Times have all the info we need for each day. Emcee service for shows would be plenty. Recently, the CD actually screwed up debarkation, due to her ignorance.

I agree, the constant announcements are incredibly annoying. At land based resorts, they don't make announcements like that. Even at the all inclusive's I've been to, they don't make announcements. There's a daily list of activities to refer to.

The CD does nothing for me, I tend to tune them out along with the silly games.

If I read the announcement correctly, both of those positions report to the CD, so I don't think it's a demotion.

It is not clear from the announcement. I tried to figure out the hierarchy.

It can easily be inferred either way - that the cruise director oversees both people, or the new entertainment director position would oversee everything, including the cruise director.

Oh no!!! What if the purpose is to free up more time for announcements? Fill up the day to boost inch of gold and watch sales. They could replace the DJ's with announcements by the pool.

Note to self: bring earplugs.

I definitely don't view this as a demotion for CD's; I think Carnival is trying to lessen their load so they can focus on more meaningful tasks. The other two positions will be supervised by the CD.

See, I'm one of those who rarely notices the CD unless he/she is obnoxious and intrusive (ie Jen Baxter).

IMHO, the CD's job is NOT to be Head Comedian. :mad:

The CD's job is to keep things running smoothly; to have activities available should we want them; to time activities so that all the "good" stuff isn't overlapping yet have big lapses where there's nothing much going on.

That sort of stuff. Not to run around the ship waving and having pics taken with passengers. I mean, seriously. Who cares? I just don't understand why anyone feels the need to interact with the CD. Do you put that in your Cruise Scrapbook when you get home? :rolleyes:

Wonder if this is the main reason Risa left Fantasy. She was too efficient, not silly/stupid enough, and just kept that old ship running smoothly and like a ship 20 years younger. :mad:

Ouch! O hope Jen B.'s manager is not reading CC. :o