Yukon Jeep Adventure - Skagway

OfTheSeasCruiser

I've seen this line up many times. In my opinion, it's a lame game of "follow the leader". They also load the jeeps up with 4 people (unless there have been changes). It is a high cost transit. No off roading. Yes, if there is a pull off, they will stop for wildlife, but this is not a likely "wildlife" area, unless you are going in May- which has a greater chance.

We did this excursion in early May 2009. I agree with the previous poster, it is a game of follow the leader. We were a group of 4 so we got our own jeep, but there were 2 couples who didn't know each other and ended up in the same jeep.

We went early in the season so we were told that we couldn't do any off-roading due to snow, etc so we just drove on the main road. We stopped to switch drivers (if we wanted to) and saw no wildlife. We did stop at the Yukon sign and the dunes, had a snack (beware of double-dippers!) and headed back.

It was fun because we made it fun...I would imagine it would be more fun than being stuffed in a bus or a train.

We did this trip in 2008 and enjoyed it. We did see bears along the side of the road and stopped for pictures. We also stopped at other ares for pictures. We did get to go off-road riding thru an old mining camp.

We were a party of 3 and it was just us in the jeep.

Has anyone done the Yukon Jeep adventure is Skagway? Were you able to stop if you saw wildlife? Would you say it is better or worse than a typical bus excursion?
It looks like they are charging $149 per person for it.

We have also seen them out on the road but have never been tempted in the slightest.

With a party of 2 or more it will cost you less to rent your own vehicle for the day. You can have it for a longer time, go at your own pace, stop when and where you wish instead of getting stuck with a "follow the leader" tour.

As mentioned many times before, it is a very easy drive to do on your own.

Just to add a little bit more info to this topic...although we did the excursion back in 2009, this time around we're renting cars and doing the drive ourselves.

We found a good guide that's downloaded to PDF that gives us all the sites at mile markers on the road and we will make our own adventure. It's an easy drive and you'll get to stop wherever, whenever and for however long you'd like.

Just to add a little bit more info to this topic...although we did the excursion back in 2009, this time around we're renting cars and doing the drive ourselves.

We found a good guide that's downloaded to PDF that gives us all the sites at mile markers on the road and we will make our own adventure. It's an easy drive and you'll get to stop wherever, whenever and for however long you'd like.

We are also renting a car in Skagway. Made the reservation 2 weeks ago.

May I ask which "guide" you are referring to?