Naples anything and I haven't thought of

mydreamvacation

So we are in Naples for the day again this year I think this is like the eighth time

Last year did herculean wonderful loved it

Been to Vesuvius been to Pompeii

Driven the coast including visit to Positano and Sorrento although didn't spend a great deal of time there

I believe I'm one trip we stopped off and Ravello

Done Capri and AnaCapri I must be in the minority as Capri didn't impress me all that much except that I almost got a pair of handmade sandals but it was going to take too long by the time I decided

I'd like to just get on a boat and go somewhere I know there's ferrys all over the place and I can't think of where to go

My husband vote is let's just go shopping in that mall at the port as he got several pairs of nice Italian shoes there last year and I got some great charms for my bracelet but seriously I would think there's got to be something else to do and hit the mall on the way back to the ship. Suggestions?

If you want to stay in Naples, have you considered the Archaeological Museum? Or a visit to the Capella Sansevero (to see the "Veiled Christ") and some of Naples' other beautiful churches....

A short trip by Metro (line 2) will get you to Pozzuoli, which has a nice Roman amphitheatre and market (walkable from the train station), as well as good fresh seafood restaurants on the water. It's not picturesque like the Amalfi coast, but it feels more real to me. I've been there twice (stayed a couple of nights the first time) and I really like it.

There are a lot more options if you're into the Roman era, including a gorgeous villa near Pompeii (at Oplontis, next stop after Pompeii on the Circumvesuviana train line) that was likely an Imperial villa. Most beautiful frescoes I've seen outside a museum.

So we are in Naples for the day again this year I think this is like the eighth time

Last year did herculean wonderful loved it

Been to Vesuvius been to Pompeii

Driven the coast including visit to Positano and Sorrento although didn't spend a great deal of time there

I believe I'm one trip we stopped off and Ravello

Done Capri and AnaCapri I must be in the minority as Capri didn't impress me all that much except that I almost got a pair of handmade sandals but it was going to take too long by the time I decided

I'd like to just get on a boat and go somewhere I know there's ferrys all over the place and I can't think of where to go

My husband vote is let's just go shopping in that mall at the port as he got several pairs of nice Italian shoes there last year and I got some great charms for my bracelet but seriously I would think there's got to be something else to do and hit the mall on the way back to the ship. Suggestions?

There's more to Naples than that gallery. We went to an absolute jewel--the Archaeological museum, then had an autheentic Napoli pizza at Sorbillo, went to Capella San Severo---and then back to the ship. I am not Rick Steve's person, but I got an Eyewitness Guide to the 10 best things to do in Naples and went from there. Naples is an absolute jewel that everybody runs from. Also, Spaccanapoli is the main drag, and lotsa life. Also found a place (street vendor) that served sfagliotella--a pastry--about 1.4 euro....Made for a nice day. ALthough, I must tell you that we did the Museum while in Rome, and did Capella San Severo (if u like sculptures) and pizza and walking when we spent the day in Naples......Hope this helps.

Well, if you want to use a boat then Ischia (already mentioned) or even Procida are options. If you are willing to use the train we can certainly recommend going to Caserta and visiting its historical Palace and expansive gardens Euro-Cruiser (a regular poster on this board) got me interested in Caserta and we really enjoyed visiting this city. There is actually some interesting WW II history that relates to Caserta, but for some reason (perhaps because Italy lost the war) they do not have a lot of info on this part of their history at the Palace.

I should add that going to Caserta is very easy for cruise passengers. You just exit the port and walk over to the Tram stop in the middle of the street. Stop at the tobacco shop/kiosk and tell them you want round trip tickets to Caserta. This ticket will allow you to use the Tram to get to the Naples train station where you catch your train. The Caserta Train station is a 10 min walk to the Palace (you can see the place from the train station).

Hank

CruiseMom and Hank beat me to it. I really enjoyed seeing the ruins in Baia and Pozzuoli this year, and the palace and gardens at Caserta are always high on my list.

Of course, highest of all is simply Naples. There are so many wonderful places to see right in the city. The archeology museum and San Severo have already been mentioned, but there's also the underground tour, Santa Chiara, and the Museo di San Martino, the building up on the hill overlooking the port. And that's just a start.

CruiseMom and Hank beat me to it. I really enjoyed seeing the ruins in Baia and Pozzuoli this year, and the palace and gardens at Caserta are always high on my list.

Of course, highest of all is simply Naples. There are so many wonderful places to see right in the city. The archeology museum and San Severo have already been mentioned, but there's also the underground tour, Santa Chiara, and the Museo di San Martino, the building up on the hill overlooking the port. And that's just a start.

We have done the archeology museum and San Severo what is the underground tour? We did the tunnels under the coliseum last summer and I found it fascinating even though we had been there many times before. It still amazes me how they built it with no modern tools etc

This post is for your eyes only :). You probably remember we that DW and I spent a nice day in Caserta based on your advice. I have recently been working my way through a book Trilogy on WWII written by Rick Atkinson. This is one of those detailed WWII history books (boring to those not into the actual history of the war) which can put many to sleep. But in his 2nd book, which covers a lot of the Italian campaign, there are numerous references to Caserta. We found it fascinating, but were also surprised since we did not see many references while in Caserta. This particular book is called "The Day of Battle -The War in Sicily and Italy 1943-44."

And another tidbit (for your eyes only). I happened to watch (for the 50th time) the movie "Patton" the other evening. And what do we spy but several scenes shot in the gardens of the Caserta Palace! This happened to be part of the movie when Patton was in Sicily, but I guess the Location Director figured nobody would ever notice :).

We are still somewhat puzzled that cruise ships do not offer a visit to Caserta as an excursion option. Puzzled...but not surprised :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner